Alltel plan to Verizon for the Droid

authentic1

Reaction score
I have an old Alltel plan that won't be up for quite a while. I've gotten conflicting info, but some people have told me that I can switch to a Verizon plan now, and get the new customer discount and get the deal on the Droid. I'm really hoping this is the case, because I don't want to be stuck with this piece of garbage Pearl for another 6 months.

Anyone have the answer?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the agency I work for used to be an all altel agency. Once we switched over, they still say we aren't "Real" verizon customers because we don't hold a "true" signed contract with verizon, and when replacing equipment they told us the could only send us the altel equipment. I was floored by this, very very strange.

OP
A

authentic1

Reaction score
So, if I'm not a "real" Verizon customer right now, wouldn't they want me to sign one of their contracts?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would think. I know we have been able to on certain things to upgrade and still get the discount that we haven't had the 10 months verizon requires for an annual upgrade. I would call up your local VZW store tomorrow and as the customer service reps before you go grab the phone and they are like that will be 700 dollars plz.

Ozman13

Reaction score
I can confirm they will let you upgrade. I was an Alltel customer that wasn't due for an upgrade until next July. I asked if I could upgrade now and they said no problem. I waited on the phone while a CSR updated my account.

Ozman13

Reaction score
November '08. It was kinda funny because there was a lengthy thread over on fatwallet about how Alltel customers could get out of the new Verizon contract. Turns out all I had to due was ask and it was done in 5 min. Sounds like they really want the Alltel plans to go away.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well in your case it may not make a good test case because, after 10 months into a contract on verizon you are eligible for an annual upgrade, which allows you to purchase another phone at the subsidized price that a new user would get.

Ozman13

Reaction score
Isn't the annual upgrade for VIP customers only? I asked if the Alltel customers were available for immediate VIP status so I could upgrade this month and she told me that were letting all Alltel customers upgrade regardless of their contract date. I did have to call back the next day because myverizon didn't update and talked to a different person and was told the same thing. So I'm thinking I didn't just get lucky... or I got lucky twice.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't the annual upgrade for VIP customers only? I asked if the Alltel customers were available for immediate VIP status so I could upgrade this month and she told me that were letting all Alltel customers upgrade regardless of their contract date. I did have to call back the next day because myverizon didn't update and talked to a different person and was told the same thing. So I'm thinking I didn't just get lucky... or I got lucky twice.

Which could be, was merely saying what happened with us. They could very well just want to do away with as many altell contracts as possible.

shawncooke1

Reaction score
For anyone still wondering, alltel customers can get, and activate a droid. It will take a phone call to VZ. I just re-signed up on an alltell plan. It is 500 min, 10 my circle, unlimited txt, and unlimited web and e-mail free nights after 7pm for 89.99. They dont offer it online, so you have to call and ask for it.