All Verizon Droids Will Get Froyo

jssmith76

Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, so here goes:

Verizon and Motorola, in an effort to reduce the platform fragmentation problem, plan to upgrade all Motorola Droid handsets to Froyo, so the original Droid and the Droid Devour will see the updated operating system as well as the new Droid X.

Android Daily Activations Top 160,000; All Verizon Droids Will Get Froyo

To bad they say "when" the original Droid will receive the "updated operating system".

Thanks,
Josh

Darkseider

Reaction score

Verizon and Motorola, in an effort to reduce the platform fragmentation problem, plan to upgrade all Motorola Droid handsets to Froyo, so the original Droid and the Droid Devour will see the updated operating system as well as the new Droid X.

To bad they say "when" the original Droid will receive the "updated operating system".

Thanks,
Josh

Wow. The Devour is getting Froyo. That there is nothing short of amazing considering the Devour is arguably the LEAST talked about Android handset in existence.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Josh

not really a surprise though on the original droid though. did anyone expect verizon to not update it?

Mojo

Reaction score
Moto Droid is slated to get upgraded in late July... and the Moto X in late Aug. Remeber you heard it first here ;)

OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Moto Droid is slated to get upgraded in late July... and the Moto X in late Aug. Remeber you heard it first here ;)

Hmmm, is that supposed to be something to just make us knaw on our own legs? I'm surprised there's no link to a source on that kind of info... Especially from a MOD. :icon_ banana:

Mojo

Reaction score
OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score

Hmmm, is that supposed to be something to just make us knaw on our own legs? I'm surprised there's no link to a source on that kind of info... Especially from a MOD. :icon_ banana:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/53937-droid-droix-x-froyo-confirmation.html

Sweet... Thanks for the info boss. :D

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Or you could root and have froyo a month ago like me ;)

Heheh....It does run pretty nice, though very minor bugs have me anxious for the next leak, which has to be pretty close if full Froyo release is going to the handset mfrs, right? Let me start nagging - will we be getting a stable Froyo rom within a week?!?

A bit of an interesting dilemma for VZW, though. Froyo is going to breathe some serious new life into these older handsets. Stock users have no idea. People will be sitting there thinking "hmmm, I'd kind of like to upgrade early" and when they get Froyo many will decide they can wait.

Actually, since VZW subsidizes the handset I guess they don't have much incentive for people to upgrade early, just have to have the phones people want when their contract is up. So I guess I take it back and it all makes perfect sense for VZW to give users as much mileage as possible out of their phone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or you could root and have froyo a month ago like me ;)

Heheh....It does run pretty nice, though very minor bugs have me anxious for the next leak, which has to be pretty close if full Froyo release is going to the handset mfrs, right? Let me start nagging - will we be getting a stable Froyo rom within a week?!?

A bit of an interesting dilemma for VZW, though. Froyo is going to breathe some serious new life into these older handsets. Stock users have no idea. People will be sitting there thinking "hmmm, I'd kind of like to upgrade early" and when they get Froyo many will decide they can wait.

Actually, since VZW subsidizes the handset I guess they don't have much incentive for people to upgrade early, just have to have the phones people want when their contract is up. So I guess I take it back and it all makes perfect sense for VZW to give users as much mileage as possible out of their phone.

Well, not quite. If VZW can lock a current customer into an additional two year contract, that's more or less guaranteed revenue. Whether it's worth it depends on the extent to which they subsidize the purchase of the phones. My guess, though, is that the price that VZW pays the manufacturer for a phone is at a price point that enables them to recoup the cost of the first phone within the first year of the contract.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, not quite. If VZW can lock a current customer into an additional two year contract, that's more or less guaranteed revenue. Whether it's worth it depends on the extent to which they subsidize the purchase of the phones. My guess, though, is that the price that VZW pays the manufacturer for a phone is at a price point that enables them to recoup the cost of the first phone within the first year of the contract.

I agree with that, but part of retaining and re-upping customers is service, and most people don't want to get stuck with hardware that is dated or obsolete within months. Pushing the upgrades keeps buyers happy and satisfied customers re-up.

At $30 a month for required data plan, that'd be $360 a year new revenue (which doesn't really "cost" VZW anything since they have the capacity), which gets you pretty close to the $600 retail price. Anyway, VZW's most profitable customers would be ones who DON'T take advantage of the subsidized phone every 2 years.

From a stock valuation standpoint, you only care about the growth in # of customers. Not really any significant impact to extending people (unless they are upgrading to more expensive plans) since you assume a good business will retain those customers, anyway. The revenue growth opportunity is in other services (such as Vcast) where VZW, like all carriers, has failed rather miserably. But with LTE & FIOS there may be some interesting opportunities in the future.

Khyzzer123

Reaction score

Thanks,
Josh

I heard That it is supposed to come July 13th.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
They don't care which phone you buy they just want you on a plan.

People bring this up every time a new phone comes out and they think Verizon cares if they sell alot of them. They don't. They just want to sell ANY phones period. It's the plan that counts.

Just like the stupid IPhone - they don't make anything off the phone - they make it off the plan. (and Apple gets a piece which is why it's still on AT&T)