All Texts Wiped

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
My phone, a Motorola Droid 4, hit the 5% battery level and shut down before I could get it to my charger. Once I did get it plugged in and charged up a bit, I turned the phone back on. As I was waiting for it to fully load up, it suddenly crapped out on me and shut down. I waited again until the battery was charged up (not fully, but enough) and when I went to my text messages, they were all wiped. I had NONE. All of my saved/ protected texts are gone and I NEED those back. I'm FURIOUS right now. I need to know how to get those texts back. I can't frigging lose them. I've seen the computer download that you can do but I don't have a USB for the Droid 4, nor can I seem to find one online. If I can't do it, can I take my phone to Verizon (my carrier)?

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the forum. Sound strange that the only thing gone is the SMS messages. Are you using the stock app or one you have installed from the PS?

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
Stock, and thank you for the welcome.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum!

The Droid 4 didn't come with a micro usb to usb cable as part of the charger? Did they change something on it that I'm not aware of?

Anyway, there are some options here for you. micro usb to usb - Google Search

According to my research just now, the droid 4 comes with the standard Micro usb port, so any of these should work to transfer data. If you want one that'll allow you to charge the phone at the same time, that's a slightly different story, but not by much. Just make sure you go with one that has two male ends (both ends will be stuck into something, rather than one that another usb cable would plug into).

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
Jonny - Mine didn't. Bought it on sale at Verizon about two or three years ago. I do have the original packing, I believe, but getting to it is a whole other issue that I can't even begin to explain. Thank you for the search though, I'm looking through the results right now.

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
I have the USB and I'm trying to use these programs, but all of them so far require me to purchase them though they're saying you can recover them for free. Does anyone know an actual FREE program?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have the USB and I'm trying to use these programs, but all of them so far require me to purchase them though they're saying you can recover them for free. Does anyone know an actual FREE program?
I sure don't. Hopefully someone else will. I keep seeing posts where people lost messages or pics or videos & are looking for these programs, but I have no experience with them.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but now might be a good time to look into backup options to avoid having another problem like this down the road.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
Backup Assistant Plus is what I have. Is that not the proper thing to have? It came preloaded onto the phone when I bought it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To be honest, I don't know what all that backs up. I never worried about backing up texts, but I recently switched plans & got 25gb of free vzw cloud space, so now I use "cloud" to backup texts & call logs.

Did you setup backup assistance plus when you got the phone? If so, have you tried using it to restore the lost info?

Sent from my Note 4

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
It was set up when I got it, yes, and I have tried, and it keeps telling me it's not connected or some dumb crap like that.

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
I'm fairly sure my frigging phone is trying to make me miserable. I really want to smash it at this point. I know it's just the trial, but Dr Fone isn't finding them. It's finding the texts that are currently on my phone, which just makes everything all the more irritating. Those aren't lost. I need my lost ones!

Edit:: Myjad is also only finding the ones on my phone.... How can a phone just wipe itself clean like that?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Backup Assistant Plus is what I have. Is that not the proper thing to have? It came preloaded onto the phone when I bought it.
Backup Assistant + was the older version of what is now called Verizon Cloud...it came preinstalled on older Verizon phones, but the app had to he setup to backup texts. If you never set it up and checked which options to back up (texts, pics, call logs, music) it would not have backed up anything automatically. The newer version is the Verizon Cloud app (free on most phones) for future backups. I don't know how to recover lost texts...sorry I can't help with that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
Thank you, Sajokaz. I'm fairly certain I did set it up, but like I said, it won't connect now, so I can't check. I'm talking to an online Android representative, but it's not going well. So far he's suggested I either call my carrier or try a third party program, which hasn't been working. I asked if my phone could be taken in for repairs, but it sounds like that's going to be a no... I asked if he could walk me through my phone to try and manually dig them out myself, and he said that wasn't possible either.

OP
J

Jayde

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4
Well, I'm starting to think I'm screwed. Verizon can't help, the Backup Assistant has actually vanished from it's place amongst my apps, though I did manage to go in under files and find it. Little good it did me, as it acted as if it was being used for the first time ever. So, no, nothing was backed up, or, it was, and whatever ate my messages ate it too, I don't know. I'm now attempting to hack my own phone. As a last resort, I'm going to look up court orders and how to obtain them when you don't actually need them for court, but has become the ONLY way to get your lost text messages back.