All sound notification work except text? Why?

chris728

Reaction score
Ok a couple weeks ago I noticed a hardware problem in my phone. It would not make any sounds at all. I checked all settings and everything was fine. It finally took me slapping the speaker against my hand for it to finally work. Well now its doing something completely different, at first I thought I was imagining things but my text messages had no sound notification, well I laid my phone on the table and sent a txt message, email, and then called it. All worked except the txt message notification...... So now I am confused at why this is happening. Is there any apps out on the market that could cause such a thing to happen??

Thanks in advance!

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Have you tried download Handcent or Go SMS, just to see if they notify you? Aside from the fact that both are superior, it might help you troubleshoot.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Did you go to Messaging Settings in the text messaging app? I know I've forgotten about that many times.

Krenzy

Reaction score
I was told that for whatever reason ICS has separate controls for Notification volume, and the rest of the sounds. I believe in the settings under the messaging icon you can manually drag the volume up from silent...I believe that's where its located but I think that's your problem.

OP
C

chris728

Reaction score
Thank-you zomnomnombie I didn't even know there were settings in the TXT msg app. I went into the settings and there was a notificationt tone set, but it wasnt the same one that my setting in my phone were set to, so I mattched them up and it worked?? lol I use the factory txt messaging application that came with ICS, which ever since I installed ICS it's been a nightmare lol. Would it be better for me to install an aftermarket app for messaging.

Did you go to Messaging Settings in the text messaging app? I know I've forgotten about that many times.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
chris728 said:
Thank-you zomnomnombie I didn't even know there were settings in the TXT msg app. I went into the settings and there was a notificationt tone set, but it wasnt the same one that my setting in my phone were set to, so I mattched them up and it worked?? lol I use the factory txt messaging application that came with ICS, which ever since I installed ICS it's been a nightmare lol. Would it be better for me to install an aftermarket app for messaging.

Haha. That is an interesting problem. Haven't seen that one before.

rfalk

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy Y and it stopped beeping when new text messages arrive.
I've tried every setting and even tried a reset factory settings. Nothing helped.
So I wrote an app to do this. Mind you, I did it mostly to solve my own problem.
It's free, there's no GUI and no ads.
If anyone is interested I uploaded it to Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...falk.falconsms

Roy Falk

virgil71468

Reaction score
chris728 said:
Ok a couple weeks ago I noticed a hardware problem in my phone. It would not make any sounds at all. I checked all settings and everything was fine. It finally took me slapping the speaker against my hand for it to finally work. Well now its doing something completely different, at first I thought I was imagining things but my text messages had no sound notification, well I laid my phone on the table and sent a txt message, email, and then called it. All worked except the txt message notification...... So now I am confused at why this is happening. Is there any apps out on the market that could cause such a thing to happen??

Thanks in advance!

Same here

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums