All phone contacts lost after sync with Google account

TrishaK

Reaction score
Hi guys - I've been up hyperventilating all night trying to solve this, so I hope someone can help me. I tried to find a post with this problem, but had no luck, but I'm really really tired, so I apologize if I missed something.

I have a Droid 2 Global. Yesterday, I did a sync with my Google contacts. The sync worked in that it imported all my Gmail contacts to the phone. However, all the phone numbers I had on the phone disappeared.

No problem, I thought. I have Backup Assistant, I'll just go in there and get everything back. Not so fast, they're not there either!

I did some research, and found people with similar problems. One of them said they went into their Google contacts and found all their old numbers. No such luck for me though.

Someone else said they managed to get them back by exporting contacts to the SD card and reimporting them. Did that. Nothing.

I pulled the battery and restarted. Nothing. I pulled the SD card and tried going through it on my PC, but there's nothing called "contacts" anywhere on there.

I'm out of ideas, and I'm so exhausted from searching for an answer and coming *this close.* Can anyone just tell me where my old contacts are? I don't mind if I have to reenter them all manually, I just need to find them so I can see them. I'm ready to cry, in fact I was crying quite profusely a little bit ago, and to make matters worse, I'm a TOTAL technotard, so please, any advice that's given will be greatly appreciated. Just please remember that whole "technotard" thing, and be gentle with me, OK?

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can do to help. I'm so sad and miserable right now, and I can't even call my friends to make me feel better, :-/ so even just a virtual hug will be considered help!!

Trisha K.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
are you rooted? did you make a backup with clockwork mod? if yes you can restore data

OP
T

TrishaK

Reaction score
are you rooted? did you make a backup with clockwork mod? if yes you can restore data

Sorry, I don't know what either of those things are. I've seen the term "rooted" before, but have no idea what it means, other than that it can be dangerous.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Go into your contacts, press the menu button(the button on the bottom of the screen with 4 squares) and there sould be an option saying display options and you should be able to filter what contacts you see.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Sent from my Liberated R2D2 via Droidfourm app

OP
T

TrishaK

Reaction score
Go into your contacts, press the menu button(the button on the bottom of the screen with 4 squares) and there sould be an option saying display options and you should be able to filter what contacts you see.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Sent from my Liberated R2D2 via Droidfourm app

I tried this. I tried it before, but I did it again just now to make sure I didn't miss anything. Every single option is checked, every single one. Do you know how I'd find a folder on the SD card where the contacts might be? What that folder would be called? I can figure out how to look on there on my PC, with a USB card reader, but when I do, it's a million folders with cryptic names, and I can't find anything that even remotely resembles contacts.

Also, why doesn't Backup Assistant have my backups? According to a Verizon FAQ I found, when I click on BA, it should be asking me for my PIN, but it doesn't, and there's no way I can see to access anything but the sync screen. Shouldn't I be able to actually access BA somehow?

I'm really very sorry that I don't know this stuff. I know how frustrating it can be, trying to help someone who's not at a level where they "get" what you're telling them. I really appreciate everyone's patience.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
If you put your contacts in the phone BEFORE setting up a gmail account, it will wipe your contacts.

The very first sync with a new gmail account syncs 1 way from gmail directly. and since gmail had zero or little contacts, thats what it synced to the phone.

when setting up an andriod device for the first time, setup your gmail account first before adding contacts to the phone

if you delete from device it will delete from gmail. if you delete from gmail, it will delete from device.

OP
T

TrishaK

Reaction score
If you put your contacts in the phone BEFORE setting up a gmail account, it will wipe your contacts.

The very first sync with a new gmail account syncs 1 way from gmail directly. and since gmail had zero or little contacts, thats what it synced to the phone.

when setting up an andriod device for the first time, setup your gmail account first before adding contacts to the phone

if you delete from device it will delete from gmail. if you delete from gmail, it will delete from device.

The very first thing that was done to the phone when I got it way back when was to set up my gmail account. Everything else was added much later. And, to be clear, I didn't "delete" anything, I simply did a sync with my Gmail contacts, which according to everything I've read, all my contacts should have been syncing to Google all along, so where did they go?? I don't even know if this is a phone problem or a Google problem!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
sorry was in a hurry
If you put your contacts in the phone BEFORE setting up a gmail account, and syncing it will wipe your phone contacts.

The very first sync with a new gmail account syncs 1 way from gmail directly.

when setting up an andriod device for the first time, setup your gmail account and sync first, before adding contacts to the phone

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I hate to rain on your parade, but it has been my experience, when adding New Contacts manually into the phone when prompted you must always choose "Store Contact or whatever with Gmail" or the phone can "lose" the contacts that were just stored locally on the phone...not saying that is the hard and fast truth all the time. BA from Verizon has been generally useless in my experience, so I no longer use it..

I hope you or someone else figures this out....but I would vet those numbers you are missing are actually lost now for good. To keep this from happening in the future, make sure when you add a new contact to have Gmail maintain that contact...

Sent from my Liberated Droid X using DroidForums App

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Also, why doesn't Backup Assistant have my backups? According to a Verizon FAQ I found, when I click on BA, it should be asking me for my PIN, but it doesn't, and there's no way I can see to access anything but the sync screen. Shouldn't I be able to actually access BA somehow?

I'm really very sorry that I don't know this stuff. I know how frustrating it can be, trying to help someone who's not at a level where they "get" what you're telling them. I really appreciate everyone's patience.
did you login to verizonwireless from computer and check your backup assistant contacts?

edit: I stopped using backup assistant

OP
T

TrishaK

Reaction score
did you login to verizonwireless from computer and check your backup assistant contacts?

edit: I stopped using backup assistant

I logged on from my computer and checked all the tabs. Nothing in Contacts, nothing in Trash. Do you know anything about looking through the SD card?

fiveball02

Reaction score
Not sure if verizon phones work like this but you can try. There is an app on the market called sim contacts. I know on gsm phones contacts are stored on the sim card and yours might be to. Worth a shot anyways.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
T

TrishaK

Reaction score
Not sure if verizon phones work like this but you can try. There is an app on the market called sim contacts. I know on gsm phones contacts are stored on the sim card and yours might be to. Worth a shot anyways.

Thanks, but it didn't find anything. :-( I don't know if I did it right, but it kept giving me blank screens.

fiveball02

Reaction score
Thanks, but it didn't find anything. :-( I don't know if I did it right, but it kept giving me blank screens.

It loads sim card right away, so if it was blank nothing was there. Im out of ideas. Everyone has already said everything i know of.

OP
T

TrishaK

Reaction score
It loads sim card right away, so if it was blank nothing was there. Im out of ideas. Everyone has already said everything i know of.

Oh, gosh. OK, I guess I just have to accept that I'm SOL! Thank you EVERYONE for trying to help me!!