All New HTC One Images Surface; Name Confirmed & Benchmarks In Tow

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
all-new-htc-one-pics-leak-mar-2014-1.jpg

Another day another HTC One leak. It seems like HTC has the worst security for their devices. Maybe when you are the underdog of the Android world, it's hard to instill security loyalty in your employees. Regardless, we have several new pics of the device. We also have additional confirmation that the all new HTC One will be called "The All New HTC One."

all-new-htc-one-pics-leak-mar-2014-2.png

This leak also includes a benchmark score for the device. The benchmark seems to indicate that the all new HTC One will have a 2.3 GHz Snapdragon 801 inside (model MSM8974AB). This is good news because it puts it on par with the current competition like the Sony Xperia Z2 and the Galaxy S5 (although the Galaxy S5 will have the 2.5GHz version of this chip for slightly better performance).

all-new-htc-one-pics-leak-mar-2014-3.jpg

Of course, for the most part, these devices will all handle your daily tasks relatively the same as each other regardless. In fact, we don't expect real world performance differences between these devices, nor even when compared to current gen devices like the LG G2, the Nexus 5 and any other device with the Snapdragon 800 chipset. The only real advantage of the 801 chip over the 800 is slightly higher clock speed (which really only shows up in benchmarks) and the ability to handle 4K video.

Source: UnWiredView

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Flash forward to 2016:

dgstorm: Hey what phone is that?
cereal killer: The All New HTC One

silence, then look of bewilderment washes over dgstorm

dgstorm: No it isn't. The new one has a 4k curved screen and is water cooled.
cereal killer: I'm telling you Stormy, this is The All New HTC One
dgstorm: are you high?
cereal killer: No, are you?

dgstorm storms off (no pun intended)

dgstorm: *to himself* idiot works for Droid Forums and doesn't even know his phones

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^... lmao!

dgstorm turns back

dgstorm: Did you not hear? The all new HTC One for 2016 is actually called The New All New HTC One! They learned from the fiasco in 2015 when they tried to call it the All New 2 HTC One.
cereal killer: You must have missed the new report, they decided to drop that in favor of an ALL NEW slogan!
dgstorm: Really? But that's not "all new"! That's the same as the 2014 version!!!
cereal killer: Yep.
dgstorm: *to himself* idiots work for the HTC PR team...

bigdad63

Reaction score
all I know is that with those Jack nasty on screen buttons, big blank black strip and the boom sound they might as well put the dock icons on top of the screen.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
"The only real advantage of the 801 chip over the 800 is slightly higher clock speed (which really only shows up in benchmarks) and the ability to handle 4K video."

This is incorrect. The Note 3 with the snap800 supports 4k video. They only real change(I think the only one) to the 801 is the option to be able to use higher speed NAND. Which is actually a pretty big deal. With USB3.0 support it would mean faster file transfers. The note 3 supports usb3.0, yet it only tranfers a 1.7GB file in around 15 seconds. Which is alot faster vs usb2.0 but its not up to USB3.0 standards. It could in therory also make the overall OS milliseconds smoother and literally allow the end user have a better experience. But, the OEM has to ACTUALLY use higher speed NAND(i hope the S5, Z2 and htc one do!) , which would increase the cost of the phone for them.
Faster NAND is one of the last things in phones that need to be updated(besides new battery tech). USB3 is a good move, there have been times where i dont back up stuff or dont flash roms just for the fact i dont want to wait for the file to transfer! LOL

@bigdad, i love on screen buttons! but I really hope that black bar has a purpose! If it doesnt, then i may actually agree with you. Onscreen buttons should equal a smaller device, with mostly screen on its face(IE LG G2).

@dgstorm, any word on battery size!??! this is huge!! i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to know!!!!!

Disclaimer...I could be wrong about everything stated above about the 801 processor.(besides the 4k video).

bigdad63

Reaction score
I think that I could actually get into onscreen buttons if they were logical. And by that I mean like the Wave Launcher application or Pie Controls from custom Roms. The two current choices of having a Miss matched set of buttons always there and shoving the dock row up words or having to tap to bring up the buttons then having the little redraw and then using them are both completely insane to me.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"The only real advantage of the 801 chip over the 800 is slightly higher clock speed (which really only shows up in benchmarks) and the ability to handle 4K video."

This is incorrect. The Note 3 with the snap800 supports 4k video. They only real change(I think the only one) to the 801 is the option to be able to use higher speed NAND. Which is actually a pretty big deal. With USB3.0 support it would mean faster file transfers. The note 3 supports usb3.0, yet it only tranfers a 1.7GB file in around 15 seconds. Which is alot faster vs usb2.0 but its not up to USB3.0 standards. It could in therory also make the overall OS milliseconds smoother and literally allow the end user have a better experience. But, the OEM has to ACTUALLY use higher speed NAND(i hope the S5, Z2 and htc one do!) , which would increase the cost of the phone for them.
Faster NAND is one of the last things in phones that need to be updated(besides new battery tech). USB3 is a good move, there have been times where i dont back up stuff or dont flash roms just for the fact i dont want to wait for the file to transfer! LOL

@bigdad, i love on screen buttons! but I really hope that black bar has a purpose! If it doesnt, then i may actually agree with you. Onscreen buttons should equal a smaller device, with mostly screen on its face(IE LG G2).

@dgstorm, any word on battery size!??! this is huge!! i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to know!!!!!

Disclaimer...I could be wrong about everything stated above about the 801 processor.(besides the 4k video).

Thanks for the heads up and tech knowledge correction. It's been hard to come by accurate info on what the "upgrade" is for the 801. I found one site that described the above scenario and I ran with it, but apparently they were wrong too. Here's what I just Googled (which doesn't really clear things up much either): What Are the Differences Between Snapdragon 800 vs 801 - Are We Getting Any Real Performance Boost? | Androidheadlines.com

As far as battery size goes... right now there's no word on that. :(

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up and tech knowledge correction. It's been hard to come by accurate info on what the "upgrade" is for the 801. I found one site that described the above scenario and I ran with it, but apparently they were wrong too. Here's what I just Googled (which doesn't really clear things up much either): What Are the Differences Between Snapdragon 800 vs 801 - Are We Getting Any Real Performance Boost? | Androidheadlines.com

As far as battery size goes... right now there's no word on that. :(

combatmedic870

Reaction score
It is really hard to find the right info!
This is what i found about the 801. So the AC version is also clocked a tad higher like you said. The second paragraph

To start with, the Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC is a small update to the Snapdragon 800 designed to take the 32-bit SoC to its limits. Each of the four Krait 400 CPU cores are now clocked at 2.45 GHz (up from 2.26 GHz), the Adreno 330 GPU is now running at 578 MHz (up from 450 MHz) and the ISP is now at 465 MHz (up from 320 MHz).
The memory interface in the Snapdragon 801 has also been improved, now supporting dual-channel 32-bit LPDDR3-1866 (compared to LPDDR3-1600 in the Snapdragon 800). eMMC 5.0 support is now included in the SoC as well, allowing 400 MB/s transfers from the fastest NAND going around. Connectivity support remains the same, with DS-DA (dual-SIM, dual-active) added to the frame.

eMMC 4.5 VS eMMC 5.0 = 200mbps vs 400mbps.

Real world performance.....File transfers, noticeable. IO/OS, who really knows.
But, its all up to the OEM to actually utilize the faster NAND.
Ive been wanting faster NAND for android devices for a while. Apple ALWAYS utilizes the fastest NAND available for there devices. They are usually one full generation ahead of us.

Qualcomm launches flagship Snapdragon 801, 64-bit Snapdragon 610 & 615 - TechSpot
Qualcomm Announces The Snapdragon 801 Because Presumably Still Using The 800 Is For Losers
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/eMMC_Product Overview.pdf
JEDEC Doubles Speed of eMMC Interface to 400MB/s - X-bit labs