All Motorola High-End Smartphones will have WebTop App.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
images

You have all heard how Motorola's Atrix is unique in having all these docking stations and a Webtop app that collectively turn it into a far more versatile computer than your average superpowered smartphone? Well, Sanjay Jha has just told investors at a Morgan Stanley conference that the Atrix won't be unique for long -- the Webtop app will be making an appearance on all of Moto's "high performance" smartphones in the second half of this year. Attendee's were told that the only reason the Droid Bionic won't be shipping with it was the simple constraint of time.

What that implies, but something Jha didn't say, is that the Bionic and Moto's other forthcoming devices are likely to have laptop docks of their own -- hopefully with a connector that makes the docking accessory interchangeable between models.

We have heard this previously through credible sources but no other details were revealed. The Bionic will have to be fitted with more RAM to run the WebTop App so lets see how this all plays out.

The Bionic just got more attractive wouldn't you say?

[Source:Endgadget]

SC Headbanger

Reaction score
High End?

Is there a compiled list of what Moto considers "High End" smartphones? I'm currently using a DROID 2 Global. It sure does a lot of cool stuff that my D1 didn't do.
Thanks!

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is such an awesome idea. But to make it even awesome-er I'd like stock android and instead of webtop chrome os. How 'bout it google? I'd be all over that. I'm interested in webtop though. Just wish it wasn't firefox. Or at least give a choice of chrome. I'm willing to give it a chance though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fuzzball

Reaction score
My reaction when I read this yesterday:
jizz-in-my-pants.jpg

I really am looking forward to my next phone. I just hope Moto doesn't loose focus on doing well with hardware quality.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wow, that alone makes me rethink the 'no moto for me' situation. I'm unhappy only because of locked/encrypted bootloaders. But the laptop dock is pretty damn nice. I could see myself definitely using that. More and more often I find myself using my phone for basic computing tasks and have even paired my bluetooth keyboard at home to it so I can type e-mails much easier.

Adrozz07

Reaction score
I won't find this a point of interest until technology makes this a viable replacement for laptops in battery life and computing power. Just a gimmick until then.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is there a compiled list of what Moto considers "High End" smartphones? I'm currently using a DROID 2 Global. It sure does a lot of cool stuff that my D1 didn't do.
Thanks!

It's for devices that will be announced/released in the second half of the year. Already released devices (and possibly already announced devices - Bionic included) will not receive it.

nmos

Reaction score
What is the advantage of these docs vs just connecting a screen via hdmi and a keyboard via bt?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My reaction when I read this yesterday:
jizz-in-my-pants.jpg

I really am looking forward to my next phone. I just hope Moto doesn't loose focus on doing well with hardware quality.

my same response.

The laptop dock is neat, but useless IMO.

I hope they don't put it on 'ALL' high end models... it's an option a lot of us could care less about and will never use.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage of these docs vs just connecting a screen via hdmi and a keyboard via bt?

Try to contain your enthusiasm - full desktop Firefox browser.

Perhaps their marketing pitch for this can be "bringing more flash player crashes to your smartphone". Seriously, I haven't been able to figure out what's causing it but I get a ton of crashes on Firefox and Thunderbird now, and they've really increased the last few months.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
The laptop dock is neat, but useless IMO.

I hope they don't put it on 'ALL' high end models... it's an option a lot of us could care less about and will never use.

Personally, I hope they do have it on all high end phones as long as it doesn't inflate the price and soak up CPU and RAM resources for those that don't use it. Ironically, a non-techy friend of mine predicted that the smartphone would become our new daily computer and we would just dock the sucker wherever we went; I'm starting to believe that assessment. Between desktop virtualization, RDP and similar technologies, web-based applications (ex: Google Docs), the OnLive service and future competitors, and the staggeringly fast increase in overall computing power in battery sipping mobile CPUs makes that idea not so far fetched.

Right now, I agree it wouldn't be for everyone and will definitely need some time to mature. For me, I'd definitely utilize such a feature set. Outside of work, most of the stuff I do on my computer can be accomplished within a web browser, media player, or an app from the Market. For anything beyond that, I can RDP into my desktop at home (tunneling over SSH if remote) or a work computer/server (VPN if remote).

My employer provides me with a laptop so I have all of my tools and crap with me if an emergency arises when I'm out of the office. Beyond a big networking issue, I really don't have a need for a laptop when I could have a Webtop on my phone with a laptop-esq dock and a powerful desktop somewhere.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
IMO right now these are gimmick devices but what they do is get people used to the idea. Soon our phones will be sporting cpu's and memory that are just a few years behind laptops and will be capable of running a full on multitasking laptop OS and that is when this will really hit the market. That is when the phone has a chance to replace the laptop for most people. The average person uses their computer primarily for internet related activity along with media storage and playback. Very few are gamers these day with all the consoles out there and most are not power users. So the future phones with a webtop or similar interface will let them bring their phone/computer with them anywhere and just plug in and go. This would be a revolution and personally I can see it happening in the not to distant future.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Bleh. Just bleh. As a kid I used to dream of the time when we'd be able to take a powerful computer anywhere, never worry about energy, or lag, or limitations

Now I'm waiting for human brain-implant computers. Its only a matter of time