All I want to do is... can someone tell me how?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrdorunjr, Apr 6, 2010.

1. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, sooo i just got 2.1 this morning. now previous to getting the OTA i was rooted. Now most of the things i really liked about beign rooted i have with a very stable 2.1, BUT i still want to over clock my phone, and have the wifi tether...but thats really it. i mean it would be nice to have the black glass theme or the 3d app launcher. right now i use helix launcher with my unrooted 2.1. i love it, it works very well, smooth, etc. can someone tell me how i can get those things while still having 2.1 and be just as stable, aka no roms?

2. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    In order to over clock your phone and wifi tether you will need to be rooted and install a custom kernel. thats about it, accept that right now you cant root the official 2.1 update so you'd have to flash the 2.01 sbf and then re-root your phone.

3. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup ... the official 2.1 can't be rooted yet sadly .... give it a few weeks.

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Accepting the OTA was a mistake that will make it more difficult to get what you want - but it's not impossible.

1). Use RSDLite to go back to 2.0.1 (search forums)
    2). Root it!
    3). Install SPRecovery
    4). Install Pete's Repackaged 2.1 Update.

Pete took the normal 2.1 OTA update file and modified it to add the root utilities. Because it was modified, it no longer passes the signature check, so you can't install it using the stock recovery console - but if you install it from SPRecovery, it'll work great.

End result will be a Droid that is EXACTLY the same as one that received the 2.1 OTA, except with su, busybox, etc. No funky application changes, no themes, none of that bloat - just 2.1 and root. From here, you can flash a new kernel to get wifi tethering and overclocking and do anything else that requires root.