All I want is some simple app to....

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Play the radio stations in my area without restrictions. Is this possible?

I have iheartradio but its extremely laggy and blacks out professional sports. There has to be an app where I could just get my local stations without restriction. As if I was just listening to it on the radio in my car.

See if I want to listen to 700wlw at 7pm for the Reds game, if I turn the radio in my car on bam, there it is. If i turn on the radio on my cell i just get some prerecorded broadcast from earlier in the day because MLB thinks I should be paying to listen. I just want a freaking radio on my phone that actually is an honest to God radio.

Any help here? sorry for the rant but the lack or a REAL radio (to my knowledge) is making me upset.

D

dvdcatalyst

Play the radio stations in my area without restrictions. Is this possible?

I have iheartradio but its extremely laggy and blacks out professional sports. There has to be an app where I could just get my local stations without restriction. As if I was just listening to it on the radio in my car.

See if I want to listen to 700wlw at 7pm for the Reds game, if I turn the radio in my car on bam, there it is. If i turn on the radio on my cell i just get some prerecorded broadcast from earlier in the day because MLB thinks I should be paying to listen. I just want a freaking radio on my phone that actually is an honest to God radio.

Any help here? sorry for the rant but the lack or a REAL radio (to my knowledge) is making me upset.

Unless you or someone else sets up a streaming service to stream your radio channel live over the internet, I doubt you will have any luck. Some phones actually come with a build-in radio tuner you could use for that, but I am unaware of any Android phone that has that.

Your rant might be better aimed towards the radio station instead of the phone though. All my local radio stations have a live internet stream.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah all my local stations do stream radio BUT.. not the Reds or the Bengals. They play em over the air though. So basically no tuner in the phone, no "real" radio.

D

dvdcatalyst

Yeah all my local stations do stream radio BUT.. not the Reds or the Bengals. They play em over the air though. So basically no tuner in the phone, no "real" radio.

Nope. I havent heard of anyone using the WiFi/Bluetooth/3G chip to receive FM/AM radio.

You could set up your own streaming system though.

you would need something like this.

Computer always on, USB FM tuner (hauppauge or something), streaming app like Shoutcast setup to record and stream the radio channel from the tuner. Proper ports opened on your router.

If setup properly (there are guides on the web for this) you just have to connect to your computers external IP address to connect to your own shoutcast server and you have your radio station over the internet.

So it is possible, but the initial setup is a bit tricky, thats all.

this link might help you get started. (it explains how to set it up with MP3 files. there are tools to record from a USB tuner, but I'd start with this)

Stream audio files from your Windows server using SHOUTcast

mjones73

Reaction score
A cheap portable FM radio may be easier if you're in signal range of the station you want..

benner

Reaction score
Buy an Incredible and you can do it. That's the only android phone I know of with FM radio.

KrysKrat

Reaction score
My Droid X has an FM Radio - just have to have speakers plugged in to make it work.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dammit Bob make it happen!
I gave up and bought something I havent owned since high school. (really, I'm not kidding) an alarm clock radio. Good news.. now I can plug it in outside and listen.. bad news.. now I have an alarm clock.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good news -- you'll never be late for work again. Bad news -- you'll never sleep in on weekends again.

Good news -- you'll never have to fake a explain why you're calling in 15 minutes late. Bad news -- the shriek of the alarm clock will haunt your dreams. :)

The chipset was supposed to have an FM radio built in, but for some odd reason either it doesn't or the software was never developed for it.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hahaha... Good news.. i worrk for myself :) Good news: I'll still sleep in
Good News: I would be calling myself
Bad news: Stupid alarm sound.. id break it in half but I need that radio

drpaul07

Reaction score
TuneIn Radio is an app to stream local radio stations. At least the local stations that do stream their content. Don't know if thats exactly what you want, but you can always just give it a try to see if it has the stations you want to listen to. Its free too.

ka2qep

Reaction score
Radiotime is worth every penny. It is also free online.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dammit Bob make it happen!
I gave up and bought something I havent owned since high school. (really, I'm not kidding) an alarm clock radio. Good news.. now I can plug it in outside and listen.. bad news.. now I have an alarm clock.
Contact WLW and ask that they list on FlyCast. I really dont use it much, unless it is for GR55 out of buffalo for the Sabres games during hockey season.