All i want is overclock

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by polack, Feb 17, 2010.

1. polack

polack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to know if there is anyway to just overclock my phone. I want to keep everything the same. i am willing to root, but i don't want to have to install a bunch of stuff on my phone to take up space. All i want is the ability to use setcpu and bump my phone up to max 1000 but will probably only realistically use 800. I've read through every damn thread on two sites about this and everyone just keeps posting about the different updates to two roms. I don't want a rom. I really just want to root, install setcpu, and change my phone speed. If you can help, please do.Thank you in advance.
    Also, i don't want to have to remove anything ans reinstall it. i have 12 gigs of stuff on here and want to keep it.

2. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
  3. kevin1016

kevin1016 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    From my understanding, you can't overclock the stock kernel. It has to be a rom.

4. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, it does not have to be a ROM like Sholes or BB. You just need a new kernel that has the ability to overclock. I think there is already an active thread on this exact topic.

5. kevin1016

kevin1016 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So I was half right. :icon_ banana:

6. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can root and flash a new kernel. This will give you stock 2.0.1 with the ability to overclock. If you're going to root, you might as well use a ROM such as Sholes or BB as they include other things that increase the OS speed.

7. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    You couldn't just download the clock speed you want and do andvanced nandroid restore and select recovery only?

8. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What?

Just root your droid, make a nandroid backup with the SirPsychoS recovery image and use the flash_image program to flash your boot partition with a custom kernel.

Done.

9. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The overclock kernel in each ROM is located in the boot portion. You can easily root and then select only the boot portion of the nandroid restore to keep the factory theme and apps.

10. NoKz

NoKz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

To fully take advantage of overclocking, you should install a custom rom. Bugless Beast 7.6 is the fastest one I've ever used. I'm running at 1.2GHz and it's amazingly fast. I can't imagine being stock again....

11. IReallyWantADroid

IReallyWantADroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    all i want is overclock 2 but i have a milestone so i cant :'(

12. PyroManiac

PyroManiac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can!

You can overclock it might just take a firmware flash....Go to android market...downloaded "DROID ROOT HELPER". This small child is not me but he batically tells you the just of it.

Part 1:

Part 2:

After you have rooted, and flash updated your recovery...just download the recovery image...i use evilboot1g.img which you can find here:

drop.io azminisk8ryoutube

You wanna boot into recovery just like the guy above you showed you and type in the command line of your SDK:

Code:
    C:\Android\Tools> adb shell /system/xbin/flash_image boot /sdcard/evilboot1g.img
    Make sure you also get setcpu so you don't cook your phone, as it will set profiles to down clock the cpu when your phone screen is off, or your phone is charging. (But you have to set them up). Set cpu is 99ยข on Android market...or as anything can probably be googled for a **cough** lower price, but i actually did buy it.

For the full tutorial on Overclocking...check out these cool guys as they helped me out ALOT:

OverClock Droid CPU

Some guys also recommend a Temperature monitor but my phone never gets hot due to the CPU under clocking at 250 mhz i do when the screen turns off and it charges.

I hope this helps!!

13. IReallyWantADroid

IReallyWantADroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a MILESTONE not a droid :(

Search tags for this page

all i want to do is overclock my android processor