All home replacements will be irrelevant once 2.1 is out

mightybrick

Reaction score
Home++ Power Strip FTW. I like having access to the phone app and broswer no matter which home screen I'm on.
And at least on the Nexus Droid ROM I'm running, Home++ is MUCH faster than the stock launcher.

Disclaimer: I realize that on Motorola's released 2.1, the launcher will most likely be quicker.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Home++ has the power strip and the hidden notification bar.... not offered in stock.
PandaHome has the extra drawers. GDE has effects and the app slider or whatever it is :). DxTop has it's own customizations. Home replacements aren't going anywhere. People want variety and customization.
Granted I gave up my home replacement because of FC's and some lag... but I'd go back to Home++ to auto hide the taskbar and get back my power strip if they ironed out the issues.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Home replacements are NOT going to die out. They have been around since the G1 was the only Android phone around and more keep appearing. To say 2.1 makes them obsolete is pretty ridiculous. Yeah 2.1 is nice and for anyone who just wanted more screens, it WILL replace the need for a Home replacement. However most HR users do so because of added features:

Home++
- Power Strip
- Notification Bar Hiding
- Built In Task Killer
- Animated Widgets

GDE
- Application Dock
- Cool Effects
- Two Dedicated Buttons

SweeterHome
- Super Customizable

PandaHome
- App Dock Drawers
- Recolor Your Wallpaper

And there are others. Also one of the big things are THEMES! You can't recolor or redesign the stock launcher besides wallpapers. With Home Replacements (except Home++) you can change the look of everything from the icons to the app drawer.

So yeah, the 2.1 launcher is nice and I may very well use it but it will NOT replace HRs.

Psychokitty

Reaction score
I tried out the 2.1 launcher apk and didn't really like it any more than the default, truth be told. The little 'bounce' you get when scrolling the apps menu annoyed me for reasons I can't quite pin. The extra screens are nice, but I missed the persistent icons of home++ and I've gotten used to not seeing the notification bar unless I want to.

The gallery, on the other hand, is amazing.
+1
I couldn't give it more than a few hours with the inability to turn off the rolling bounce in the apps drawer. Very annoying.
The massive screen affords the development team the capability to make better use of all the real estate for 2.1 home, and they did not.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nice list Gardobus.
We don't have a handshake smiley so I poached this fistbump from another forum:

8g5sqap%5B1%5D.gif

eNonsense

Reaction score
I've been using DxTop a lot since I got my droid and I really like the functionality that 2.1 wont contain. However, I recently was giving someone who is about to get a hero an Android walkthrough. To do this I switched back to the default Home. I forgot how quick and stable this phone could be. The worst thing about using home replacements is that they slow your phone down and sometimes crash. You've gotta decide if the benefits are worth it. I have to say that sometimes waiting for my phone to do something makes me feel like it isn't.

Home replacements will still be around and they will still offer extra functionality, but the default will still work the best.