All Email Accounts Stop Syncing - Restart Phone Only Solution?

fmckinnon

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I've got the most recent version of the software installed (up to date). I have 5 separate IMAP email accounts configured in my Messenging App. All 5 of them are GoogleApps accounts, though this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Randomly, my emails stop syncing completely. All of the "data push", "sync", etc., settings are set to sync.

It could work for hours, or days .. you never know, then it just stops syncing. If you click on the Universal Inbox, or ANY of the individual Email Inboxes, the red circle just spins and spins and never syncs or updates.

All other data is operating normally - receiving text messages, twitter/facebook notifications, TweetDeck, etc.

The ONLY way I can get the phone to sync again is to power off the phone and turn it back on. As soon as the phone powers back up and loads, the email boxes start syncing immediately.

I've been doing this for months, and finally got tired of it - shouldn't have to do this on a phone you paid so much for. Called Verizon and they referred me to Morotola.

Moto asked me to remove the IMAP email accounts and add them again, which I need, and this did not resolve the situation. I did not power off the phone for 2 full days to continue testing if it would ever fix itself.

Finally, I called Moto back and the guy says he has no idea, there is no cases like this, and wanted me to do a factory reset, which I declined.

I powered the phone off, turned it back on, and voila - email is syncing again.

I've read on the forums that perhaps this is a bug .. or perhaps, I need to go into the Settings and "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache" on the Message app, which I can try in the future instead of powering off/on ..

But it's ridiculous that I should have to do this every few days (or sometimes, a few times PER day).

Anyone have suggestions? Anyone else having similar issues?

carguy

Reaction score
I use two imap email accts myself. Since I ditched the OEM mail app and started using MailDroid I've had zero issues :D

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

audijacks

Reaction score
I'm having the EXACT same issue, couldn't have explained it better. 2 separate IMAP accts through Google Apps - everything else runs fine. This just started yesterday (phone is about a month old), but is very annoying since I use my phone for business and expect somewhere between 100-200 emails a day...

Has the MailDroid app fixed issues for all?

Dalrimple

Reaction score
Nope.

I thought it was going to, it worked for the first whole day! As opposed to 4 or 5 hours on stock mail.

Now I'm lucky to have it keep syncing after a couple of hours.

I'm tried it on all of the sync settings, is the Droid X just a piece of crap?

I spoke with customer support for Motorola and they just told me to restart my phone and remake my accounts, which didn't work. They then referred me to a web page that told me to do the same thing. Basically there's no support for this, just a crappy phone I guess that can't sync email?

Obviously I'm very upset about it.

parkhill

Reaction score
default messenger stops syncing

Hi! I've had the exact same problem with my motorola droid 2. I'm actually on my second droid 2, since I got a warranty exchange due to this and another problem. Just recently, the second droid started doing it too! (I love that the moto tech says no one else has this problem!)

I've experienced exactly as you described: my corporate sync (exchange with active sync) AND my yahoo accounts stopped syncing when using the default messenger app. Text messaging was not affected. At first, restarting the phone (with a full battery pull) fixed the problem, but then I had to resort to removing and re-adding the account information. This last time, even that didn't work for longer than a day.

My current solution is to replace the messenger with 3 apps: yahoo's own mail app, moxier mail (for active sync/corporate), and handcent for text (even though messenger was still working for that). handcent and yahoo are free, but I'm going to have to pony up $20 for moxier after the trial period is working. Kind of annoying since you shouldn't have to buy an app for email!! Moxier seems to be working well for the past 3 days, but the calendar widget and email notification is not as nice as the default (you can't quickly see your next meeting or preview your email)...I'll check out MailDroid. There's also one I tried called Touchdown (also $20 after preview period) but it didn't work for my account.

Murphman

Reaction score
Ditto with synch issue on apps accounts

Not a hardware issue but android issue! I have new Samsung Charge: Corporate exchange synch works great. Comcast.net (POP3) seems to be working fine. Four Google-apps accounts (POP3) are toast. If you are using POP3, you have to switch to IMAP to get all to synch.

The blackberry I just threw away worked perfectly for over 2 years. :icon_eek:

Dirty rotten sonuva...!!

Last edited:

yavdroid

Reaction score
Let me share my experience and solution: I used my DroidX several months with no such issues until I took a plane trip abroad and when I'm back, all my email accounts stopped auto-syncing. I suspect Motorola's Airplane Mode widget is the culprit as the very first time I used this widget was on this trip. Here's how I resolved the issue:

1- Add Android's power control widget.
2- Find the sync button, turn it off and then back on. (This is the fourth button from left)
3- Power cycle the phone.

Hopefully your issue should go away until the next time you use your phone's airplane mode :)

backlashforblow

Reaction score
I'm having the EXACT same issue, couldn't have explained it better. 2 separate IMAP accts through Google Apps - everything else runs fine. This just started yesterday (phone is about a month old), but is very annoying since I use my phone for business and expect somewhere between 100-200 emails a day...

Has the MailDroid app fixed issues for all?

Well, sounds good to me. Helped me out alot anyways. Thanks :blackdroid:

nygiants85

Reaction score
ok I have tried many different fixes for this e-mail problem from this forum and others, but still not working. anyone know if there is a fix coming as it seems many people are having same issue..

aznws_tech

Reaction score
Android update available today

I don't have this problem on my Doroid x but the owner of the company I support does and it is driving him and me nuts.... I also have a zoom with no issues.
I got notification today that there is a Version system update available Ver 4.5.605 for Android Version 2.3.3. I recommended that he update his phone and let me know the results.

I will post the results.