"All Apps" group button missing

AarrowOM

Reaction score
Somehow or other, I think I accidentally deleted the "All Apps" group within my Apps tray. Basically, the only groups that I see are "Recent", "Downloaded", and custom groups that I made.

View attachment 53957

In this sense, I am missing the icon furthest to the left.

How would I go about restoring that button? (I've sideloaded apps so looking at "Downloaded" doesn't show them all.)

davidb4775

Reaction score
Since you still have a group shortcut on your home screen, open that group. On the upper left side, where the name of that group is displayed, press the name and a pulldown menu will show. Scroll to the top where it will say "All Apps" and press. Then press "All Apps". This time scroll down that menu to "Add Group to Home" and select that.

OP
A

AarrowOM

Reaction score
Since you still have a group shortcut on your home screen, open that group. On the upper left side, where the name of that group is displayed, press the name and a pulldown menu will show. Scroll to the top where it will say "All Apps" and press. Then press "All Apps". This time scroll down that menu to "Add Group to Home" and select that.

But that's the thing, I don't have an "All Apps" button at all within the Apps tray/menu, so there's nothing to select.

I got the over-the-air ICS update, but that didn't restore the button, it just added a "Frequent" group (which seems to have more than "Downloaded").

davidb4775

Reaction score
Do you have ANY group shortcut on any of the home pages? You indicated you had some custom group shortcuts. Follow the directions above to make an "All App" shortcut and place it on either your home page and/or the Apps tray

OP
A

AarrowOM

Reaction score
Do you have ANY group shortcut on any of the home pages? You indicated you had some custom group shortcuts. Follow the directions above to make an "All App" shortcut and place it on either your home page and/or the Apps tray

But again that doesn't solve my problem. Any new group I make wouldn't update as I install new apps.

(I also suspect that we're using slightly different terminology and thus that is contributing to confusion. For instance, why would having a link to an app group on one of my desktops matter in the slightest? I've got plenty of apps and widgets on my homescreens, but no folders.)

davidb4775

Reaction score
A "Group" shortcut on you home screens, when pressed, will show a collection of apps for that particular group. I.E. I have a "News" group. With a "Group" shortcut, I dont have to clutter my home screen with each individual app I want to have access to. When pressed, it shows Bloomberg, CNN, Fox, etc. The icon for a "Group" is a black square with white border and a smaller white square inside inside of it. The "All App" icon is slightly different. Your OP was how to make an "All App" shortcut because you lost the "All App' group but you had some custom groups. A widget or single app on your homescreen is not a "Group". An All App group will automatically update as new apps are added. Other groups, however, are another story. You would have to manually add them to the specific group that you decide represents that app. Regarding your last question, having an existing app group on your home screen makes it SIMPLE to create another app group. See post #2. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
A

AarrowOM

Reaction score
A "Group" shortcut on you home screens, when pressed, will show a collection of apps for that particular group. I.E. I have a "News" group. With a "Group" shortcut, I dont have to clutter my home screen with each individual app I want to have access to. When pressed, it shows Bloomberg, CNN, Fox, etc.

Yes, making a shortcut on my home screen would clear that up, but I like having individual app icons and widgets accessible.

Your OP was how to make an "All App" shortcut because you lost the "All App' group but you had some custom groups.

Uh, no it wasn't. I never said "shortcut" in my OP, and I thought I rather clearly specified that I was missing the group itself within the full Apps tray (i.e. the menu wherein you find your apps). I even included a picture of what I was missing. (I'll even admit that I read over the Droid 4 manual in order to have a sense at what to call everything. But assuming that I somehow screwed that up, what are the terms for everything then?)

Edit: Here's a screenshot of my Apps tray and the various groups I can see. Only "Downloaded" and "Frequent" are defaults, the others are custom app groups.

Screenshot_2012-08-26-00-50-00.png

Last edited: