All About Apps2SD (FROYO)

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by peteralfonso, Jun 15, 2010.

1. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

In my latest release I enabled apps2sd to work on most apps (even the ones that do not support it yet). Most of your apps will work flawlessly but there are some such as widgets and others that may not. Also you may have other questions about this feature and I will try to answer them as they come.

Q) My Widgets and other apps are not working properly on the sdcard, what do I do?

A) Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Example App > Move to Phone

Q) Does having apps installed on the sdcard cause an ill effect on its performance?

A) No not at all, stated by Google here: App Install Location | Android Developers

Q) Why are my my market apps not showing up in my app drawer?

A) If they are installed on your sdcard you must have it mounted or wait for it to mount before they appear.

Q) How do I disable automatic apps2sd permanently?

A) In /system/etc/install-recovery.sh change "pm setInstallLocation 2" to "pm setInstallLocation 0" with no quotes.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. mrZoSo

mrZoSo New Member

You can also do this in adb:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation <switch>

<switch> options:
    1 = internal
    2 = sd
    0 = auto
  3. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 New Member

Is that the permanent fix to apps2sd, because terminal will get undone with each reboot right? Whats the permanent fix if I may ask
  4. peteralfonso

Done, edited my OP
  5. clayinho

clayinho New Member

I am having a hard time editing that .sh file due to the read only permissions on it. How do I get around that?
  6. joker402

joker402 New Member

Do I have to format my sd card for this to work?
  7. peteralfonso

sysrw in terminal

No its native
  8. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Also its case sensitive. at least thats been my experience.

pm set"I"nstall"L"ocation

inside the quotes are capital.
  9. ddarvish

ddarvish New Member

sorry but what the hell is the auto option? does that mean the app itself decides where to install? does that have to be coded by the programmer?
  10. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

is there a script that can move all the apps over to sd vs. having to do it one by one?
  11. creamers

creamers New Member

I think Auto is if the dev actually specifies if there is can be installed on the sd card it will auto install the sd.
  12. bolden88

bolden88 New Member

Apps2SD minus the SD

When I install .2.1 I lose all my apps and none of them are on my SD card. I have tried installing directly through "DownloadROM" and also install from SD card. Is there something else I am missing? I am back to .1 because I never write down all my apps so I can Redownload them. Time consuming. Runs really good though.
  13. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Disabling the auto install to SD also blocks out the move to SD option in Manage Applications for most applications. Which just goes to show how much work Pete put into being able to get Apps2SD working even beyond it's capabilities as we know it now. By replacing the '"2" with a "0" you can still move Apps2Sd in the Manage Applications menu but only the apps that developers have scripted to be compatable with Apps2SD

Once again Pete, thanks for all of your hard work!!!
  14. Asterisk

Asterisk New Member

So after my phone rebooted all the apps on my sd card are not showing up in the app drawer. I waited for my phone to finish mounting the sd card after the reboot and they still didn't show up. I even unmounted the sd card and remounted it and still nothing. Can someone help?
  15. Fulle

Fulle New Member

Reboot your launcher!
  16. magnus

magnus New Member

I'm having similiar problems.

I haven't completely disables Apps2Sd because I'd like it for some apps......but I also need my widgets.

Everything was working fine until I received my first phone call. After that I noticed that all the widgets for my home screen were gone, but they rest were there. So I rebooted ......BAM...they ALL gave that error message.

Tried restarting Launcher pro, rebooting and moving all widget apps to phone, more rebooting, mounting and unmounting SD card...nothing.

The apps in SD don't even show up in the app drawer and the custom icons I had for Apps Organizer are now all just standard Android green and white app icons. The shortcuts in there are the only way I can get to my Apps on SD.

The apps were initially restored using Titanium backup

Any ideas? HELP!!! :)
  17. tfkennady

tfkennady New Member

Will moving apps2sd help overall performance?

From what I can gather on the Android operating system is that it's unnecessary to run a task killer because the OS will prioritize what applications need to be running to suit your needs/experience at that particular moment and kill all others.

Furthermore the operating system will use the remaining phone memory as "swap memory" when RAM becomes scarce.

If this is true, could moving all your apps to the sd card effectively double your available "RAM"???

If not, would it be possible to implement this into a custom rom (bugless perhaps)???

Essentially all your apps would run from your sd card and if possible the entire OS.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I was curious.
  18. eteusch1

eteusch1 New Member

So I was fooling around with Apps2SD today and I found that after reboot, apps that were on my homescreen changed to the default icon, and weren't in the app tray....

I also noticed that when you shutdown, the phone unmounts the sd card, and when you turn the phone on, it mounts the card. This is where I believe the problem is coming from. The launcher is started before the sd card is mounted, so it can't see the icons or programs, so it won't display the icons on the home screens or in the app tray.

One way around that would be to change android so it doesn't unmount and mount the sd card when the phone powers off and on. The other option would to leave a "shortcut" (for lack of a better word) that would allow the launcher to add the icon as well as add it in the app tray, but point the app to the sd card location.....

Is that right? if so, is anyone working on that?
  19. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Welcome to the party. All you do is restart launcher after reboot. all Icons and apps return
  20. eteusch1

eteusch1 New Member

Thanks...figured that one out on my own. Is anyone looking at a work around (specifically the two that i mentioned above)?
Search tags for this page
android kcryptd
apps2sd

apps2sd apk

apps2sd apk download

apps2sd froyo

apps2sd.apk

download apps2sd froyo

froyo apps2sd

froyo’s apps2sd
kcryptd android
kcryptd loop