Alert and Ring Tones

RickCunn

Reaction score
Is there some way to assign different alert or ring tones to different functions? For example, I want a certain tone for text messages, a different one for email, a different one yet for general alerts, etc. I haven't been able to figure that out. My Hue II cell phone did it with no problem.

Thanks

Rick

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is there some way to assign different alert or ring tones to different functions? For example, I want a certain tone for text messages, a different one for email, a different one yet for general alerts, etc. I haven't been able to figure that out. My Hue II cell phone did it with no problem.

Thanks

Rick

Just mount your Droid and create a directory called "media" directly on the SD card. Then in the media directory create a subdirectory called "audio". Then in the audio directory create three subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". Then just drop your files into the appropriate folder, and assign ringtones to contacts, email, and the alarm clock.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

Just set up ringtones for notifications (text messages) and the phone in Settings > Sound & display > under Notification ringtone and Phone ringtone respectively. For email accounts open the native email application and click on the account you want to designate the new ringtone for and then touch the Menu soft key and choose Account Settings. In there you'll find a Select ringtone setting for that account. I have four different email accounts all with different ringtones so I can tell right away which is which.

That's worked for me and after few months I've had no issues at all. Each assigned ringtone works each time and shows up on the correct list of choices. It's that easy! You should be all set! Hope that helps you out!

OP
R

RickCunn

Reaction score
I don't think I was clear in what I want to do. I want to assign differing ringtones to various phone numbers, so that text messages from different numbers sound different tones. Likewise I want the tone for Droid system notifications to be different yet again. My old cell phone allowed this discrimination. Does the Droid?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think I was clear in what I want to do. I want to assign differing ringtones to various phone numbers, so that text messages from different numbers sound different tones. Likewise I want the tone for Droid system notifications to be different yet again. My old cell phone allowed this discrimination. Does the Droid?

Stock, you can't set different sounds for different people's texts. Irk if chompsms or handcent will allow that.

If you go to sound and display in your settings, you can set the default notification tone. That will be for MOST notifications, including "system" stuff, mainly SD notifications.

In every app, gmail, messaging, etc, there will be settings for notifications. For example, I have gmail set to not vibrate or play a sound, only flash the led. Messaging notifies me by playing a guitar sound, vibrating, and flashing the led. Bloo, which I use for Facebook flashed the led a different color (some apps allow this. For others, the app missed call will allow led color change), plays a different sound, and vibrates.

Hope that helps you a little! Plat a reply if not and I'll see what I can do to help you more!