ALERT! 2.2 FroYo Circus continues...FRG01B is Official get it here.

HarshReality

Reaction score
I am sorry, but I am kind stupid when it comes to electronis. I have the New Droid X. Can I download this into my phone and get the new version without issues or should I wait?

Unless I mis my guess this is pertaining to the Droid.. if you have a Droid 'X' I would go by the name and say.. wait or you might 'X' your device.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
for those that have installed this update. after you down load file to root of sd card do you need to extract files or change file extention or anything. because my phone is still on 2.1 after 3 attempts. im doing something wrong, i would appreciate anyones help.

rza49311

Reaction score
I was having some lag/hangs/force quits/GPS not working/battery drain with the 2.2 update from last week which I never experienced with 2.1. I just used easy root and applied this update with no problems. I'll have to see if this fixes the issues.

richhowe

Reaction score
**BUMP**

It contains 2 different scripts in it, that Pete supposes allow it to be used with the stock recovery, SPRrecovery and Clockwork Mod.

Since this mentions SPRecovery and ClockWork Mod, does it mean that it will try to replace ANY custom ROMs alreay installed? If so, do these scripts cause SPRecovery and ClockWork Mod to allow the update and prevent them from blocking the update? Or, will this only try to replace officially released MOTO/GOOG/VZW ROMs?

Does anyone know if this willl overwrite custom ROMs based on earlier Android versions such as Cyanogen or Bugless Beast, etc.?

Ninjak

Reaction score
Here's an install solution for those, like me, who manually had already installed last week's FRG01B update/zip:

Simply install EASY ROOT, available for 0.99 from Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world

Then run EASY ROOT to ROOT your system and do nothing else. Note, I was previously not rooted, and I had installed NONE of the rooted ROMs. This all takes a couple of minutes.

Now the NEW update.zip from this thread will install right over it, with NO Problem!

Results? So far this "new" FRG01B seems smoother.

+1! :icon_ banana: dancedroid I can confirm that this is definitely the best and easiest solution for any unrooted FRG01B updaters like myself who had problems and want to do a "clean install" with the newer release. I was thrilled to have this brought to my attention since, last I had checked, Easy Root was working for 2.1, but not yet for FRG01B, so this made my morning. I did it on my way to work this morning without a hitch. Now I can do some more testing tonight to see if the problems I had were resolved (longer than usual shutdowns, heating issues, battery drain, etc. Plus it's nice knowing that I can root this as needed, too. (I've also removed the Flash beta since I can wait until it's fully baked at this point. Though it'd have been nice if the Market had told me that the Facebook app update was available instead of my having to hunt it down myself...) :)

Sal

Reaction score
dr5qv4.jpg

What a ride it's been. the Official 2.2 was released (FRG01B), then it was pulled.

Rumors of a patch started floating around which said that FRG22 would now be the official release via a patch once the roll-out started again.

It has been quite a Circus to say the least. Well now new news has surfaced and we now bring you the Official version of Froyo via a full ROM. This is directly from VZW and it has been confirmed that FRG01B is in fact the Official build once again.

As a side note this new full update will not work once you use last weeks OTA update. The script specifically looks at what you currently have running.

Thanks to JohnGalt (Android Forums) you can now download the FULL version.

This is copied from Android Forums with a full explanation. Link is below. INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK.

OK, I have verified this with Peter Alfonso. This is an all inclusive update to FroYo build FRG01B from all versions of Android that came on the DROID - 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1.

Basically, if your phone has anything pre-FRG01B, the new OTA that was pushed out (at least to me and one other person) will replace *all* pre-2.2 builds with 2.2.

It's pretty simple, too - it simply wipes your \System partition, then copies over the new \system from the ZIP file. It is pretty fast too.

I verified this by using RSDLite 4.7 from Peter Alfonso along with the ESD20 SBF file (The original 2.0 that came on the DROID back in Nov when I got my phone), and then immediately, without activating, booted into recovery and let it run the update - and I now have a nice, virgin 2.2 (FRG01B) OS on my phone.

Before I go any further, many many thanks to Peter Alfonso for all of his work, research, and advice when I was testing this to make sure my theory was correct. Without him I'd still be scratching my head saying to myself "Ok, now that I see the big old exclamation point, WTF am I supposed to do?" - among other things.

We had a nice long discussion about what this file does, and how it works, and he agrees (or, perhaps I should say I agree with *him*) that this file will upgrade 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1 to 2.2 FRG01B. It contains 2 different scripts in it, that Pete supposes allow it to be used with the stock recovery, SPRrecovery and Clockwork Mod.

This is the set of files you can use.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/54jg831t63o1shy/9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

Source: Android Forums/JohnGalt/Peter Alfonso

Has anybody beside this "John Galt" dude actually gotten the newer 2.2. ota, you know, OVER THE AIR??? Weird that there's only one guy reporting an OTA since the so-called "halt."

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anybody beside this "John Galt" dude actually gotten the newer 2.2. ota, you know, OVER THE AIR??? Weird that there's only one guy reporting an OTA since the so-called "halt."

I believe there were other sporadic reports and/or posts of people getting the OTA, but they were few and far between.

Sal

Reaction score

I believe there were other sporadic reports and/or posts of people getting the OTA, but they were few and far between.

Thanks. I looked around a little and couldn't find a thread. Maybe there should be a sepeaate thread so we can get some sense of the "second wave" release...to verify that there is one, see how fast/slow it is progressing, etc.

Mods? Admins? Think this is a good idea? If so, I'll be happy to start one or if you could direct me to one...Thanks, :D

bmchan

Reaction score
I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

This forum has gone to the rooters.

This is true. Go to Motorola forums for questions beyond rooting.

fernplant

Reaction score
So if you used the 2.2 from last week you won't be getting this one?

Is it possible at all to replace last week's release with this week's?

stumpie

Reaction score
Any luck Silver ? I have never done this b4 .. I want to make sure I don't mess up my phone .

A step by step install guide would be nice for us people that have never done somthing like this...

ok i'll try that, thanks

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You guys are amazing! Did you read the original post? CK was merely reporting what was posted elsewhere. All these questions being directed at the op is just silly. I'm sure not trying to belittle CK's knowledge, but he never put himself forward as the expert on this file, it's use, it's contents, it's intent, etc. He was reporting!!