alarm sounds

segen77

Reaction score
I'm sure there's already a thread on this, but my search didn't turn it up. Is there any way to get more than the standard 6 or so sounds for the alarm. I'd like it to play one of the ring tones, or an mp3 or something other than the rooster or other cheese alarm sound.

thanks

mightybrick

Reaction score
Create a "media" folder on your sd card, with an "alarm" folder inside. Drop any mp3s or ogg or whatever files in there, and they will show up as an option in the notification menu. You can also create a "notification" and "ringtone" folder inside the media folder and they will function the same way.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
sweet. I'll give it a try. I about had an effing heart attack this morning when that damn rooster went off. lol

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
I just did this, and wanted to update. it looks like you have to create the media folder, then in there is an audio folder, then in there is alarms. this is the same folder structure found under the system folder on the internal memory.

mightybrick

Reaction score
Sorry but how do you create the media folder?
You can use either a file manager like Astro or ES File Manager and create a new folder with this name on your SD card, or you can connect your Droid to your computer via usb and use windows, linux, osx, or whatever and create the new folder.

kkluesner

Reaction score
Just a little tip.. I had to put Alarm_ in front of any of the files to actally show up in the alarm listings...(different from Notificatons listings) Using the same file structure.

Hope this helps.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
Just a little tip.. I had to put Alarm_ in front of any of the files to actally show up in the alarm listings...(different from Notificatons listings) Using the same file structure.

Hope this helps.

I didn't have to do this. What's the exact folder structure you used?

kkluesner

Reaction score
I have Media/audio/ then 3 subfolders - Alarms-Notifications-ringtones.
Originally when I went into the Alarm clock setting to set a new "tone" after I created the file structure-- I didnt see any of MY ringtones listed.. only the canned ones.. as soon as I put alarm_ in front of the sound file... It showed up as one of the choices next to the canned ones....

what do you have exactly.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
I just have media/audio/alarms then my mp3 is in there. strange. it's probably another of the weird quarks of this phone.

jamsesh

Reaction score
I use a song as an alarm. It showed up as an option after I selected "set as ringtone" from the media player, might be easier than messing with the file structure if you're trying to do a song too :)

kkluesner

Reaction score
hmm that's weird.. cause when I saved as ringtone, I could only see it in the "ringtone" or notification section not as an alarm choice.... :icon_evil:

I used Astro App to view the root of the phone itself... and found the Media/audio/alarm folder and all the alarm files have the alarm_ extension in front of the title of the alarm... I dont see Alarm_ in the alarm listing... I mean.. come on there were only 6 of them to begin with... but I do see the Alarm_ in front of the one I named... LOL sheesh...

all for a damn song to play as my wake up sound. a quirk is right...

There is also an ui folder that has the clicking noises etc for the keyboard.. and other phone sounds. interesting. :motdroidhoriz: