Airplane Mode

ntrddragn

Reaction score
When you are flying or don't want the phone to receive any data. Pretty it becomes a media player.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So you can control the airplane with your phone:p

But yeah it's what dragon said.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...i had thought it was for use to preserve battery drainage

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
dezymond said:
Well considering it shuts off all signals, yes it does save the battery from draining:p

Which is especially useful should you find yourself in an area with little to no signal for an extended period of time.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Airplane mode is a battery saver. My phone stays in a metal locker for a good part of the day. No need for any data to be transmitted. Once I turn airplane mode off everything I missed, with the exception of calls, will sync.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
No need for the condescending comments please. Some people are not familiar with every aspect of their devices. Remember everyone, including yourself, was new once.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just curious, what exactly is the Airplane mode used for??......Thanks

Does the name not give you a hint?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No need for the condescending comments please. Some people are not familiar with every aspect of their devices. Remember everyone, including yourself, was new once.

Agreed...not everyone knows as much as someone like yourself who is actually on the cutting edge of software or hardware (as the name beta team implies). The old rule, "If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all" applies here.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the info...i had thought it was for use to preserve battery drainage

As others have said, it certainly can contribute to extending the battery between charges since it turns off all Radio Frequency transmitters (i.e. Cellular, 3G, 4G, WIFI, Bluetooth). Once activated, you can then selectively turn on WIFI and/or Bluetooth to have limited connectivity such as to be able to communicate via Skype or other VOIP, as well as to use the Bluetooth features for BT Headsets, keyboards, mice, etc.

It's a quick way to turn off all of the radios at once, but by selectively reactivating those you want active, you can both reduce power consumption and still have full use of the unit depending on what you are doing with it. Also, if you are in an area (such as on a plane, or in a hospital for instance) that has restrictions to Radio Frequency transmitters, you can quickly and effectively "silence" those radios to prevent RF interference from creating problems for sensitive equipment nearby.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
One way I conserve battery is to turn off my data when I'm not using it. At work I'm at a computer all day and can check e-mail etc. So I turn data off with a widget (I used a great on from Elixer 2) that allows me to toggle data on and off. When I go to lunch I turn data on.

I also turn data off when I'm driving or not really going to be using data. My phone still rings and I get text messages but don't have the data drain.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
As others have said, it certainly can contribute to extending the battery between charges since it turns off all Radio Frequency transmitters (i.e. Cellular, 3G, 4G, WIFI, Bluetooth). Once activated, you can then selectively turn on WIFI and/or Bluetooth to have limited connectivity such as to be able to communicate via Skype or other VOIP, as well as to use the Bluetooth features for BT Headsets, keyboards, mice, etc.

It's a quick way to turn off all of the radios at once, but by selectively reactivating those you want active, you can both reduce power consumption and still have full use of the unit depending on what you are doing with it. Also, if you are in an area (such as on a plane, or in a hospital for instance) that has restrictions to Radio Frequency transmitters, you can quickly and effectively "silence" those radios to prevent RF interference from creating problems for sensitive equipment nearby.

Even I once upon a time ago got poked fun at for such simple questions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2