Ahoy

dscan

Reaction score
Hey all, sort of new here. Been a long time lurker, but never had the need to really register an account. Not so much new to Android, but never really felt the need to upgrade from my old HTC Desire. :blink: (Running MIUI, in the past Cyanogen and other Roms.)

However I do have a question for all of you. Due to only just recently being forced to switch from Alltel to Verizon (Less then a year.) they are now just taking down all the towers and offering a Free Certified Pre Owned phone for the switch. They are offering quite a few but the only ones I am interested in are the G-Nex and the Razr. I decided on the Razr for now (With 14 Days to exchange it for any other phone.) as I have always been a fan of the Droid X, and love the similar form factor. (I am also a huge fan of Amoleds.)

That being said, which device would YOU guys choose if they were offering you one of these? (I have looked around the forums, but most of the debates were from way back before the Nexus was released or after the Maxx came out. This is for the Original Razr, not the Maxx. I am by a computer all day so charging isn't a huge issue... but I have also heard some issues with the Razr getting really hot during charging.)

Thanks! And I would be extremely happy with some feedback on what you guys would choose. :hail:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome.. I like the razr for reception.. but if your into Modding... gnex... there are lots of pros and cons for both....I personally like motos build quality.. but if I were into modding... gnex..

What's more Important to you. Is the question. :D sorry in not much help :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF! Happy to have you join us. That is a tough call. Like 94lt1 said, it depends what you really like to do with the phone. Both will have similar battery life. The G-nex started out with poor reception issues but I believe that was solved with an update. It will most likely get the jelly bean update before the razr does but not necessarily. I think the razr is a very solid phone and still very popular. I loved rooting & romming my if droid but never felt the need or desire with my razr. I only rooted recently because I wanted to freeze a few apps that I was not able to freeze stock. I am not certain about the g -next, but I have never had any random reboots with my razr and it is a shock when I get a force close because it is so rare. Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
dscan

dscan

Reaction score
xD Thanks for the help, and welcomes!

I guess I may just go try out a nexus and compare it to the Razr when it comes in on Tuesday and see which one I prefer. I am into modding quite a bit, but at the same time, I feel the need to mod because I feel there is always something lacking. I guess if the Razr prevents me from needing to that would be impressive in its own right. Though at this point in time, with all the Alltel towers being converted and never getting any service. Ill just be happy to get 4G Speeds on my unlimited contract.

Thanks again!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! I am very happy with my GNEX and love how many ROMs, themes, and MODs there are for it. Seems like an endless supply of stuff to tinker with:)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have both of these phones and as stated, each has ups and downs...the Maxx tho is my favorite daily device but Jelly Bean on my gNex is pretty cool ;)...good luck with your decision!!

OP
dscan

dscan

Reaction score
D: We will see, I will have to go to a store and mess around with them side by side. Jelly bean is something I am really interested in right now. And I just love the idea of having a futureproof phone (well for a while at least.) I am just not so sure on the build of the nexus. (Samsung phones always feel so flimsy and cheap to me!)

Thanks for all the help!

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Good luck with your new phone choice. DancingNexus