Ahh Crap! Txting when I shouldn't have

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad your are also not hurt, the only thing i use my phone when im driving is if im using Google Navigation and its in the Car Mount.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
A glance was all the time it took...

[No comment because I'm not trying to start anything and if I say what I'm thinking, I might. I've seen you around here and you seem like a really nice guy. As I said before, thank God you're ok.]

Random topic switch...

You had to pay $3 for towing? Is that directly to the towing service, or added to your AAA bill? I have AAA and have only used it for towing a handful of times, but never once had to pay a cent to the driver/towing company.

edthesped

Reaction score
I'm a staunch no text and drive kind of person.... However, my 13 y/o was at a Christmas party with some of her classmates and was bored so she called me to come get her. She started texting her best friend while waiting for me to come pick her up. The parents at the party asked who she was texting and she said "my dad". Two minutes later I pulled into the driveway to loud jeers from the parents and now every time they see me I get a don't text and drive lecture. I remind my daughter that she owes me big for that one at every school function.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I wish they had a better speak to text app the handcent one is so so. It either hits or is way off.

I find Talk To Me Keyboard to be really good for Speech to Text. I still try to avoid it on the road, but it works really well assuming you haven't got a heavy regional accent.

Thanks to RW-1 for a great reminder..glad it was just the tires.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start with you either :)

The $3 for towing was because we went one mile over the AAA allowance, paid to the driver. AAA seems to be getting tougher on the towers, my wife had to come out to where I was to show her card and ID before they would tow, hadn't had that issue in FL, but I'm up north now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not trying to start with you either :)

The $3 for towing was because we went one mile over the AAA allowance, paid to the driver. AAA seems to be getting tougher on the towers, my wife had to come out to where I was to show her card and ID before they would tow, hadn't had that issue in FL, but I'm up north now.

I see. That's funny, because I was riding with my cousin this fall and his car broke down. I called AAA and gave them my info, but the driver never asked for ANYTHING. Of course, Michigan's U.P. is definitely a unique little place...

As for the speech-to-text thing, I feel like I saw a video on 2.1 [Yeah, I know...] that showed that LOTS of things now had STT standard, including messaging. Maybe I've lost it, but I can remember the guy giving a demo using the stock messaging app and showing that it wasn't perfect, but pretty darn close...

Anyone else happen to see that video or one like it?

K

killabyte

considering all the people who are hurt/killed by drunk drivers i can't imagine why anyone would be so ignorant as to be proud of such a stupid and idiotic behavior. when ya'll finally do get in an accident i hope you're the only ones to be hurt and i hope it's bad enough you never drive again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
considering all the people who are hurt/killed by drunk drivers i can't imagine why anyone would be so ignorant as to be proud of such a stupid and idiotic behavior. when ya'll finally do get in an accident i hope you're the only ones to be hurt and i hope it's bad enough you never drive again.

Wait...I'm confused. Are you talking about getting in an accident while texting/driving, or while drinking/driving?

Because my comment about driving drunk was COMPLETELY a joke...

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see "The League" episode where Ruxin uses his AAA service to have his car towed when he is too drunk to drive? I thought that was hilarious and brilliant.

NC just passed a no texting while driving law and it I still catch myself replying to a text on the road. It's always good to have a reminder about what can happen.

K

killabyte

i've never done it because it just seems like a bad idea without even putting much thought into it. i have a friend who texts all the time while driving though. we argue about it a lot. he talks about his rights and this and that and i just calmly ask him each time "would you read a newspaper or a book while driving?"

if you think about it is it really much different than a woman putting on make-up while driving down the road, which a lot of them do? i'd say the level of distraction is on par with texting if not greater.

qoncept

Reaction score
I tried it once or twice and thought to myself "wow, I can't drive while I do this." Strange how much easier it is to skip to the next song on my stereo but I can't easily push "y-e-s-send"

synctek

Reaction score
Guilty as well!!! I think we have all done it at least once. For those who have made it unscathed, good fortune smiles - probably a good time to learn from the mistakes of others instead of the hard-way. I try not to read txt msg while I drive, let alone send them but at times I'm overcome with temptation (old enough to know better, too young to resist) and read/text while at a stop light. Took guts to post a mistake like that - it will probably be some time before you hear the end of it. Glad no one was hurt - happy texting :icon_ devil:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
he talks about his rights and this and that and i just calmly ask him each time "would you read a newspaper or a book while driving?"

I see people do that all the time. I recently saw someone driving 70 MPH in rush hour traffic doing the crossword with the paper propped up on the steering wheel.

A friend of mine was recently hit while cycling (5 foot wide shoulder, all the way to the right) by a 19 year old girl that was texting. Just flat ran him over. Fortunately, he'll be OK.

Everybody thinks they've got it figured out "just glance for a second, type without looking then a quick glance to check, etc". BS. You can cover a lot of ground in that second. If you're driving, drive. If you want to text, stop and do it.

Oh, and I'm glad the OP is OK and even more glad that he didn't run over a 3 year old during his "brief" lapse.