1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ahh Crap! Txting when I shouldn't have

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by RW-1, Feb 2, 2010.

1. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I'm so embarrased it doesn't register on a meter, it will peg out.

It was bound to happen, though I had been altering my texting habits in the car lately.

Pulled over to send out a long text to my boss, and got an answer.

Wanted to just send ok, or something like that, and it happened.

I drifted just a bit right, and by bad timing, I went by someones driveway who the owners had placed a concrete brick "curb" to it, which kinda extended out partway into the shoulder.

Saw it at last minute but too late.

Blew both right side tires. Rims ok, though nicked slightly.

$300 later (towing was $3, had AAA) I'm ok.

So yes, I'm embarrased, especially being a pilot and all, safety first, etc ...

If there wasn't the "curb" stuff I would have been fine I suppose, until I got nailed by something else, or worse yet if I drifted left slightly, no one else was around. I typically had done this while stopped, or on straight shots with 1500 - 2000 ft before another vehicle.

But no longer, all texts will be done with no movement. And it seems a law is coming that way anyway.

SO .... just a warning, if it can happen to me, it CAN and likely WILL happen to YOU if you persist in doing it whilst moving.

[Hangs head]
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. lexcyn

lexcyn New Member

Yeahhhhh... texting/using the phone while driving is already illegal here in Ontario. Not a very smart thing to do even if it is not illegal though. :wacko:
  3. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I drive drunk pretty constantly. I'm good at things like this.

-Wil
  4. Aaron636r

Aaron636r New Member

Glad your ok though. I try hard not to text and drive. Its illegal here in California as well
  5. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Thanks you all so far, I'm glad I was by myself when it happened, though the wife immeadiately knew...

Sometimes one needs a monetary reason to stop when all else fails, like common sense. (My 1st smartphone, made it too easy to just sit it on my lap and text).

Just sharing the blame somewhat, but I take responsibility.
  6. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

I'm glad your ok.

This is really a serious issue not to be taken lightly. I'm not one to preach to people but besides your own safety it would have been a tragedy if you caused serious injury and/or killed someone.

Consider this a small warning to stop doing this. It's really not worth it. If it's that important, pull over and send it.

Anyway glad your ok minus some damage to your vehicle. Vehicle can repaired a human life cannot.
  7. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

I drive drunk pretty constantly. I'm good at things like this.

-Wil[/QUOTE]

I find that I text while driving MUCH better if I've got a little Captain in me.:icon_ banana:
  8. Jonny Kansas

Glad you're ok, by the way!
  9. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

I know it's already illegal back home in IL. Having the car dock helps me keep from doing it; no access to the slide out keyboard and no way to touchscreen type with it in the dock while driving... So forces me to wait to read/return texts until I'm stopped.
  10. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

texting and driving is dangerous im sure the op found out. Glad he is alright. I wish they had a better speak to text app the handcent one is so so. It either hits or is way off.
  11. Troy

Troy New Member

"Talk to me Keyboard" Download it
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I think the OP demonstrated a lot of courage just admitting that he did such a thing, specially as he says he is a pilot and understands safety first.

Glad you're OK, lesson learned and fortunately no one else got hurt.
  13. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

I used to text all the time on my work BB while driving my GOV (Government Owned Vehicle - I work for the DOD). Until one day I accidently bumped the rear end of a Driver's Ed student stopped at a light. It was a very mild bump, not even a scratch on either car. But that was the end of my texting while driving days. Now I don't even read texts/emails while moving unless, of course, I'm a passenger.
  14. Jonny Kansas

I have texted while driving for probably 7-8 years now with no incident.

I don't recommend it, but if you feel that you HAVE to do so, Time spent looking at the phone between times looking up should be no more than a glance.

If you can't type an entire word, or at least a few letters, while looking at the road and paying attention to what you're doing, don't do it.

Obviously, my opinion isn't shared by most of you, and it's DEFINITELY a lot safer to not text while driving, but it's all about your focus. It should be on the road, not other things.
  15. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

A glance was all the time it took...
  16. unix.punkx

unix.punkx Beta Team

Glad your are also not hurt, the only thing i use my phone when im driving is if im using Google Navigation and its in the Car Mount.
  17. Jonny Kansas

[No comment because I'm not trying to start anything and if I say what I'm thinking, I might. I've seen you around here and you seem like a really nice guy. As I said before, thank God you're ok.]

Random topic switch...

You had to pay $3 for towing? Is that directly to the towing service, or added to your AAA bill? I have AAA and have only used it for towing a handful of times, but never once had to pay a cent to the driver/towing company.
  18. edthesped

edthesped New Member

I'm a staunch no text and drive kind of person.... However, my 13 y/o was at a Christmas party with some of her classmates and was bored so she called me to come get her. She started texting her best friend while waiting for me to come pick her up. The parents at the party asked who she was texting and she said "my dad". Two minutes later I pulled into the driveway to loud jeers from the parents and now every time they see me I get a don't text and drive lecture. I remind my daughter that she owes me big for that one at every school function.
  19. MdicnMan

MdicnMan New Member

I find Talk To Me Keyboard to be really good for Speech to Text. I still try to avoid it on the road, but it works really well assuming you haven't got a heavy regional accent.

Thanks to RW-1 for a great reminder..glad it was just the tires.
  20. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I'm not trying to start with you either :)

The $3 for towing was because we went one mile over the AAA allowance, paid to the driver. AAA seems to be getting tougher on the towers, my wife had to come out to where I was to show her card and ID before they would tow, hadn't had that issue in FL, but I'm up north now.