After upgrading to 2.2, email attachment .wav file can no longer be played

mcbeav

Reaction score
After upgrading to to a ROM with 2.2, email attachments with .wav file will not play(Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file). When i was on 2.1 i had no problems with playing a .wav attachment on a email. Is this a known problem? Any fixes?

OP
M

mcbeav

Reaction score
Searching through web, seems like this is a common problem after upgrading to 2.2

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Are you using the default player?

OP
M

mcbeav

Reaction score
Yes i am using the default player.

solvent211

Reaction score
Similar situation as original poster. Upgraded to 2.2 on stock Moto Droid.

Vonage emails me a .wav file and 2.2 Froyo's default media player says the wav format is unsupported (what most annoys me is that it worked fine in 2.1 after not working in 2.0). Apparently the codecs typically used with WAV files generated by voicemail systems are not either present (or just accessible?) by the media player.

There are a few solutions. First, you can use a work-around originally created for iPhone users. This involves routing your voicemail email through a third party server that re-encodes the WAV with a different codec that media player 2.2 can understand. (Details here: http://androinica.com/2009/11/21/workaround-gsmwav-voicemail-attachments-in-android/)

Second, you can use the "Remote Wave" app (available on Market) which costs $2.98.

Third (and the solution I used) was to use the "RockPlayer (ARMv6)" (also available on Market and at Rock Player). RockPlayer has a free (well, ad supported) version. Note that I have to first save the WAV file to the SDCard and the open it from Rock Player to hear the message. (Also, in Rock Player, you may need to clear the check next to "Show Media File Only" under settings for the wav file to show up.)

Hope this helps!

smolander

Reaction score
Similar situation as original poster. Upgraded to 2.2 on stock Moto Droid.

Second, you can use the "Remote Wave" app (available on Market) which costs $2.98.

Third (and the solution I used) was to use the "RockPlayer (ARMv6)"

Option #1 and #3 weren't an option to our executive team who now all carry Droids. So I'm testing Remote Wave and it seems to be working.

Pisses me off that I have to spend $3 for something Google messed up ...