After update screen is way high

Reaction score
Its never this high. Nothing different on my screen infact I might have less then most days. What's going on.
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

akhi216

Reaction score
Its never this high. Nothing different on my screen infact I might have less then most days. What's going on.

Could be inaccurate.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thats what im hoping for. Im giving it a few days and see if it goes down.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
After root you should be saving battery on all your other processes... then the screen bumps up to the top... showing that it has used 40% of what the battery has put out over a period of time.... remember that 40% is NOT 40% of the battery.. it is a percentage of what has been used so far.... people should not be so concerned with this number... your main concern is "how long does my battery last overall"... then you break it down... if the screen uses the bulk of it then that's right... your droid is running lean and mean and the screen should be the biggest number

Edit: also... it doesn't matter what you are running on your screen... widgets / live wallpaper ... whatever...
the display number comes from how long it is lit up... it measures how much battery drain from having the lights on... so if you don't like the number... set your brightness to lowest, instead of auto... set your screen timeout to 1min so it shuts off quickly

You could take everything off your homescreens and run straight black wallpaper and it wont help... the lights still light up and drain battery no matter what shortcuts or widgets or wallpapers you are using

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
My thing is that it was never above 9% . So why now so high. I've seen others where is below 10%. I understand that it at the top of the list and that's cool. And I've always had my screen on auto and it shuts down after 30 second. Im not worried about it its just weird to me

Snow02

Reaction score
I always thought the reported values sounded low before. That looks more realistic, actually. There could have been a bug with reporting in the release build.

If your battery life hasn't also decreased drastically, that's probably the case.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
And that's why I don't like my screen on auto... if its light out then the screen uses more power... I use the lowest setting and brighten it up if I feel it is necessary ... and that is rare... I think that lowest setting was the biggest battery saver I ever seen... even better than root and bloat removal

Fr33dom

Reaction score
So how long is your battery lasting?

The problem with these sorts of reports is that they contain no context for the supposed problem. If you don't wake you phone up all that much and the screen is listed as the top user after sleeping all day then I'd be concerned. Something has to be at the top of the list and that percentage--judging from how much green is in your battery icon--doesn't seem to amount to much battery use. It doesn't look like a problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
My screen has been on for 2 hours and my phone has been on for a little over 8 and im at 40%. Im not worried about it but just makes me wonder why others are less then mine. Just something im curious about.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
My screen has been on for 2 hours and my phone has been on for a little over 8 and im at 40%. Im not worried about it but just makes me wonder why others are less then mine. Just something im curious about.

The numbers you give don't tell me much. Your screen shot clearly shows that you had a little over 5 hrs of use and your battery looks to be at about 80% or better. So if you had used 20% of your battery, the screen is responsible for less than 10% of that. You're last post claims 8 hours off charger with the screen on 2 hours of that time. I have no way of knowing if that is one hour over the first five and one over the last three or if those two hours were all within the first five hours and so represented faithfully by your screen shot. I'm not even sure that all matters so much.

The Pentile screen sips tiny amounts of energy and I don't have any way to tell if yours is sucking larger amounts than any other. Consider what it would take to determine that. We could guess based on users stories, but there are a large number of variables in the manner different people use and treat their phone. If one has larger data use than you do, or carries their phone in their pocket and you don't, the results could be skewed.

That is the reason that I asked how long your battery is lasting. Using the screen above to chase better battery efficiency as opposed to using it as a starting point to troubleshoot high battery use can be tough. It might be more telling if you press on the grey bar at the top of your percentages screen and send that. Either way, it would be better to have the battery strength at the time the screen shot was taken and it would probably be better if all that was done at the end of the day instead of at the beginning since it would have more data. Also, knowing your back-light setting would be useful as well.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Your title says after update, so I can assume you installed the leaked update??

If so then its going to be different. Mine shows the same as yours display as the #1 draw. This was a bug before where it was only recording under 10%. As efficient as the display is I would find it hard to be as low as it was showing before. This seems like the correct figures and nothing to be concerned about.

LLR00717

OP
S
Reaction score
The two hours of the screen would be on for about 5 to 10 min at a time about 3 times an hour. Mostly looking at facebook, twitter, forums,and looking at apps in the market. My battery usually last between 15 and 18 hours with moderate use. If its on the light side might go to 20 hours. Can't keep my hands off of it. But to day it was more like 13 hours then dead. So not as good as it has been. Im also rooted with a lot of bloatware frozen. Now with the change in the way it measures the battery then the screen is where its saposed to bb I guess. I will see what happens tomorrow. I will do a screen shot at the end of the day right before it dies. I've also noticed a lot of other things showing up using battery that never was there.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The update makes the display battery consumption report more accurately now. What you are seeing is normal.

I'm curious how anyone knows its more accurate. I can understand assuming that it likely is, but without documentation and considering the update was not released, I'm less inclined to say that its reporting more accurately.

OP
S
Reaction score
This is with light use and I did not put it on the charger last night like I normaly do. Im at 50%