1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

After the $5 App Shole Root Wifi Tether fix?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cisco0910, Feb 3, 2010.

1. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

Alrite this is a contiuation from the original $5 app Root thread where there was a number of us who couldn't get the wifi tether to work including myself. A gentleman found a fix, but i couldn't get it to work. He should be posting his fix here soon...
  2. joeyspindler

joeyspindler New Member

the fix worked for me, ive been following the thread for the last 1.5 hrs waiting on a fix. I just typed in the link and downloaded it. clicked on file and it asked me to replace the existing file. i said yes and then launched and went to comp. and did a search for wireless networks and it was there.
  3. darrylgraham

darrylgraham New Member

The fix as is follows:

Go to site and download
    Install the latest DROID release from the Google code project
    • Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0-pre3-eclair
    • This is an unsigned program, so you'll need to enable the installation of unsigned applications in the Application settings menu (Settings>Applications)
    • Install the app using the Android SDK tool, adb (specify the actual path to the adb tool and the application):
    • after donloading tap icon and hit package installer the app will install
    • Next it will ask do you still want to replace it (CLICK OK)
    • after hitting ok you will need to install it over the existing android tether
    • answer yes to the next question.
    • next open the tether application hit setup make sure you have don't disable wifi checked. (DO NOT CHECK ENABLE WIFI Encryption)
    • CHANGE THE SSID to a name you like
    • click the tethering icon so it connects
    • Go to lap top and open network connections hit refresh find the name you created and hit connect. IF it does not connect hit repair and fix if your computer has that option
  4. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

that's what's so frustrating cause this is so easy...i see it now on my laptop. It's listed as a computer to computer network (not suppose to be i don't think)..and it says "on Demand" where the connected would be...any ideas?
  5. darrylgraham

darrylgraham New Member

mine also shows computer to computer did you click that network to connect?
  6. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

i did...man, i'mma reboot pc and phone. the funny thing is i got my phone completely turned off and when i click refresh my laptop still sees my wifi tether...brb man, i'mma reboot and smoke a cig. You going to be up? If so great! If not check on me tomorow and thanks for your help. I need a cig too after this. so i'll be back in 5-10...
  7. darrylgraham

darrylgraham New Member

Good luck with it. I am calling it a night.
  8. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

i have 2 laptops ima try it on my old dinosaur xp see if i can do it
  9. BostonBill

BostonBill New Member

So to do this you need something called Android sdk tool first?
  10. pc747

11. bgish3

bgish3 New Member

ive been following this for a few hours now cause when i tried to connect to the wifi network that popped up on my laptop it said it could not connect so i redownloaded from the link you provided and installed with astro file manager and now everything works perfect if that helps anyone
  12. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

when do you see numbers in your kb's? When you're connected to a pc? or as soon as you click middle for "start tethering". I've gotten as far as i can see it on my list of choose a wireless network but i cannot connect to it and i'm still getting zeros on my kb's on my phone..thanks
  13. pc747

was able to do it with the dinosaur, now i remember y i bought a new laptop its slow
  14. pc747

my computer found it, now im trying to get it to accept it..got it...give me 5 mins and i will do a step by step from tethering
  15. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

holy moly!!!!!!!!!! it started working!!! Now, is it safe to put a password on this?!?! I feel like i don't want to do nothing to it before it malfunctions again!
  16. pc747

cisco this is not to insult your intelligence ima do a run down for any one who read this.

1) (after you done the steps here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-multi-touches-tethers-5-a-64.html#post196049) click on this link from your droid: wireless_tether_2_0-pre3_eclair.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0-pre3 *** FOR SUPPORTED ANDROID 2.x DEVICES ONLY *** >>> EXPERIMENTAL <<< - Project Hosting on Google Code
    it will download
    2) after its done click and say replace
    3) go into app, click allow
    4) go into set up and change ssid (make it ur name or something)
    5) on your lap top go into control panel and view network
    6) find the ssid you made
    7) because it will consider it unsecured you are going to have to click on it (on ur laptop) and allow. u will know it works when ur phone vibrate
    8) go into diagnostics and repair and repain the setting. u should get a yellow security dialogue box, accept.
    I just did this on 2 diff lap tops one is an old 2006 toshiba satellite running windows xp, and the other is a new toshiba satellite running windows 7. Its the same for both
  17. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

Good work pilot! The world needs more people like you! I'm experimenting now with a password to get in my tethering..
  18. pc747

my concern is how much you can tether before verizon starts trying to get you. When i first got my droid they knew it had tether capabilities but the setting was not there, and when i asked they wanted to charge an extra 30 bucks a mnth. I know that they can really tell unless you try to watch the superbowl from nfl network on your laptop tethered to your phone. If any one have an idea on the range we need to be in a month that would be good.

Hope that makes since....my brain and body is getting into slow down mode
  19. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

works like a charm! i'm happy. Anybody needs help, lemme know i'll try my best. I need to return the favor.
  20. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

i've read that if you keep it under 5G you should be fine. When you start to go over is when the red flags go up...Just what i heard so don't go by that by any means.
Search tags for this page

shole root