After many days, my #1 complaint is...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
...standby life. This phone has a fantastic battery and even power using it lasts and lasts, however, it nearly uses as much power with the screen off as on. (being a bit cynical there but...not by much)

I'm sitting with nearly no screen time after 8 hours I've consumed about 1% per 20min. For comparison sake it seemed my G2 would do the same about every 60min.

I installed roughly 1/3 of the applications I had on my G2, and the ones I have I also had on the G2 so I can't blame any apps for the useage, it seems as though this phone just SUCKS when it comes to just sitting around.

Not even my OG Droid was this bad.

Now that said I'm still satisfied with what I can get out of this phone, but IF this phone could sip battery like my G2 could, they could have advertised 3 day battery life instead.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you using that circle battery widget?

I wonder if that is the culprit?

JDH

Reaction score
Two day battery life not enough, take it back and get the new Chinese phone with 5000mah battery. See how you like it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
...standby life. This phone has a fantastic battery and even power using it lasts and lasts, however, it nearly uses as much power with the screen off as on. (being a bit cynical there but...not by much)

I'm sitting with nearly no screen time after 8 hours I've consumed about 1% per 20min. For comparison sake it seemed my G2 would do the same about every 60min.

I installed roughly 1/3 of the applications I had on my G2, and the ones I have I also had on the G2 so I can't blame any apps for the useage, it seems as though this phone just SUCKS when it comes to just sitting around.

Not even my OG Droid was this bad.

Now that said I'm still satisfied with what I can get out of this phone, but IF this phone could sip battery like my G2 could, they could have advertised 3 day battery life instead.

I hope this will be fixed with an update.. Cause my Maxx can sit for days with no issues.. Not the turbo

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just looked at my phone....14 hours with 84% remaining (almost no usage today). I run a lot of widgets and apps that auto-update/sync.

So either you have a bad battery or you've got an app misbehaving. Or maybe you are in a weak signal locale and the radios are draining your battery trying to hold data?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Did you factory data reset it when you purchased it?

Reactions: cr6

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Install gsam and see what's sucking it down.. But the turbo does indeed have cruddy stand-by.. How bright is your screen? Color of your wallpaper? Signal strength? How have you been charging it? Try powering it off and charging it.. It helped on my old g1 maxx's..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Did you factory data reset it when you purchased it?
And have you taken the ota that's already out for it? If not.. I'd do it.

TatDroid

Reaction score
No, this is definitely not normal, and not what I'm hearing from most Turbo owners. My standby usage averages about 1% per hour (and 10% per hour for screen-on time).

Even though you have the same apps installed, an app can act differently on one phone than it acts on another. Something is not right.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Are you using that circle battery widget?

I wonder if that is the culprit?

I ditched that day one in favor of Battery Widget Reborn, which currently is the least resource hungry item on the list at 3%. I had it on the G2 and decided not to use it on the Turbo until I saw what I felt like was unexplained spikes in standby usage.

With 1 hour of screen time for the day till now (16 hours standby) I see 71% remaining and cell standby is hitting me up for a whopping 32% with 0% without signal. As far as screen settings and the like that some think contribute...no, I'm specifically mentioning the standby usage.

Pulse (no widget)
Pandora (never activated)
Netflix (never activated)
Memo widget active
Invisible Lock Widget active
1Weather installed after noting the issues, no changes
Battery Widget installed after noting the issues, no changes
Bank of America
Clean Master (no widget) installed after noting the issues, helped slightly with optimization.

So as you can see, I have a very minimal list here.

What's this about factory data reset on a phone that just came out of the box? Charging wise I drained to 3% day one and then charged to 100% and back to 12%, been going from 70% back to 100% ever since.

InfiniteClouds

Reaction score
I guess there was a wide variety of QC going on with this phone. Your #1 complaint is my #1 thing I love about this phone.

7e081f27a624a75f68fd4d5bf47cb96c.jpg

bb368227084379c01fe524edfafbabad.jpg

I had a Droid OG and it never did this, nor did my Droid 4.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
You're not reading what I'm saying, and ironically just actively proven my point. Your cell standby has consumed 37.5% MORE of your resources than driving a QHD screen for THREE HOURS.

Here's the correlation, I have the exact same percentage of cell standby usage as you do with 1 day and 1 hour of screen time vs your 3 days and 3 hours screen time. Our battery life and usage are practically identical, and we are consuming battery on standby at 3 TIMES the normal rate. In other words, your battery standby time (should) read 21% instead of 32%, leading to 14% battery remaining instead of 3%.

In short, you've been robbed of 14 hours of standby time, or 11 hours standby if you charged at 3%. That's incredibly substantial folks.

TatDroid

Reaction score
The results I see from both Hugh and from Infinite look about right to me. Hugh: 1 hour screen (at 10%/hr) + 16 hrs standby (at 1%/hr) = 26% used (74% left), pretty close to your 71%. Infinite: 72 hrs standby + 3 hrs screen would be 102% used (using same formula above), close to the 3%remaining that you're showing.

Sent from my Droid Turbo