After droid dies it won't start back up using car or usb to computer charging.

nerdkill

Reaction score
For whatever reason if I let my Droid die completely and plug it into my car charger or my usb to computer charger it doesn't seem to be enough power to start it up. If I plug it into a wall charger it starts up immediately. It is the same for my wifes droid so what's the deal? Is that just the way it is? If it is that is really a major design flaw. I can understand having to wait a couple minutes to let it start up using a lesser power source, but not at all ever? That's crazy.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
The usb charges much less quickly. How long have you left it plugged in? Eventually it should have enough power to turn on while plugged into usb.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Not to get too overly technical but PC USB ports put out, per standards/specs, 500mA to power devices. The charger that comes with your Droid? 850mA. I'm guessing your car charger is also 500mA. Every BB device I have ever used had you install a special driver that boosted the power output of your PC when it recognized a BB plugged into it. Since you drained your battery the charge coming from the PC isn't enough to power and charge at the same time.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
When this happened to me recently, I had to leave the phone plugged in via usb for about 45 mins before I could power it up.

bllarkin

Reaction score
This is pretty normal for any device. Usually, if you look at device documentation for things like iPods and phones, they only recommend charging via USB when there is 15% or more of the battery left because of the slow charge. I know when my wife's iPod has died in the past, charging via USB at all would never get it power to come up, but it would work when charged by the wall plug.

On the car charger side, what kind of car charger do you have? The Moto charger charges a high rate (I believe it is the normal rate that the wall charger uses). If you use one of the car adapter to USB plugs with a USB cable, it will give the same results as using a USB cable with your computer.

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
I use the factory car charger that comes with the car dock. I do agree that I think its normal on this device but I've never ran into this on my iPhone. The weird thing too was that my wife's phone was fully charged by the time I would power on about an hour later. I had mine plugged into my laptop for about an hour and a half and it never powered up. Oh well at least now I know.