After being OFF at night, wake up to dead battery 2x?

Reaction score
Well, now twice in the 5 days I've had this droid, I wake up to a completely dead battery. I put it to sleep 2 nights ago at 1am with 50%.. Up at 8, phone would not turn on - connected charger, said 'charging - 5%'. Thought it to be some odd quirk.

Last night turned off with 40% at 1130pm, up at 730 , phone did turn on, but said 'connect charger' and when I did it was at 5%.

I am just using the power button, selecting power off (not the other choices), and the phone APPEARS to go completely off like it should.

I have seen this mentioned in a google search but seems to be a hit or miss thing needing replacement? In 5 days this is my 2nd droid. First one stopped recognizing ANY sd card placed in the slot so it was exchanged for this one.

It came from Sam's club if that matters any. I don't know if my first one had this issue as I didn't have it long enough.

OP
O
Reaction score
In reading a little more, might be a poorly written app using partial wakelock? I'm going to do a factory reset tonight with no apps other than the original ones and see how we wake up in the AM.

ak68

Reaction score
dead battery

Mine showed a dead battery warning the other morning after being on the charger all night. I unplugged the charger then plugged in back in and the battery indicator showed full. Weird!

OP
O
Reaction score
no I don't have the home app, weather widget - donate is the main paid app. I know it's not weatherbug as I uninstalled it yesterday and last night it died again.

dms

Reaction score
Do you have any other apps? I ran into the AntiVirus problem lots of other people did....that one completely drained the battery with the glitch it had....kept turning the phone off and back on.

crspang

Reaction score
Fortunately, I've not had any charging issues with Droid yet, but every other Motorola cell phone I've ever had, I had charging issues with them. Those past experiences were what kept me from getting the Droid sooner.
Just wondering though, why are you powering down at night?

OP
O
Reaction score
I *did* have 27 apps, but I've removed them with the factory reset tonight to see if that clears it or if I have genuine problem, hardware-wise.

OP
O
Reaction score
Well a factory reset and just the apps and settings that came on the phone out of the box.. off at 1130pm with 40%, 8am, completely DEAD.

damnit.

crspang

Reaction score
Well a factory reset and just the apps and settings that came on the phone out of the box.. off at 1130pm with 40%, 8am, completely DEAD.

damnit.

Get it exchanged.....

going to today, hoping for the best.

When you say "off" are you powering down or just turning the screen off? If you are powering down, why? How did you charge it to get it to 40%, I would assume it was charged to a higher state than 40% and then you used it down to 40%, so how did you get it charged? Assuming you got it charged somehow, then why not repeat that process at night rather than the procedure that is not getting you results?

OP
O
Reaction score
Get it exchanged.....

going to today, hoping for the best.

When you say "off" are you powering down or just turning the screen off? If you are powering down, why? How did you charge it to get it to 40%, I would assume it was charged to a higher state than 40% and then you used it down to 40%, so how did you get it charged? Assuming you got it charged somehow, then why not repeat that process at night rather than the procedure that is not getting you results?

umm well OFF by holding down the power button 2 seconds, selecting OFF from the menu is how I'm doing it. I started the day with 100% after charging yesterday morning, I used about 60% of the battery, leaving 40%, I did a factory reset to defaults, then powered OFF to see if the drain still existed. It did.

I *could* just charge it every night, but there are many many posts about this problem on the .net and I wanted to see if a reset would prove to me it was perhaps an errant app keeping things alive. It wasn't.

I see some people mentioning that a swap cured the problem and no more overnight drain when off, so that's why I am going to try a swap. If it still exists, then I'd say it's a genuine bug in the phone and I'll have to figure out what to do that that point; pray for a firmware/software fix for the phone or return it. When you pay this much for something, it's nice if it works like it should.

Also my actual sleeping home is not in the best signal area, but when I'm out and about its good. Bad signal area = higher drain when on and just resting on my desk.

crspang

Reaction score
Uh, ok I get it now......You don't routinely charge your phone at night.......I've always been in the habit of charging my phones every night so I overlooked the fact that you're not doing that.
So knowing that, the "problem" that you're describing doesn't actually seem like a true "problem" as just "powering down" does not actually turn off the phone. The only to way to truly get the phone to a "non-powered" state is to remove the battery. The radios in modern cell phones are still active even if "powered down". What you're describing is normal.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've charged my Droid, and every other phone I've owned, each night and never had any battery issues. Just became habit for me I guess...