after 6.0.1 update, ALL email notifications stopped working.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
@252chevyboyz... I was changing my picture to a picture of Logan and I think my screen name got capitalized to Redbert31 from redbert31... Just want you all to know that I'm the same person...I think it said the change was permanent... I'm not concerned about the points and following attached to my name, but I don't want anyone to think my account was hacked...I just didn't read before I pushed"done"oh well! I guess there's nothing I can do about it now... Just let the other guys know in case it comes up... Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
A lot of times, things like this are caused by an app. i've never heard of Synker, maybe that is messing up the auto-sync? Android should do a pretty good job of syncing your accounts all by itself. Maybe try uninstalling that app, shut down, clear the cache and reboot? See if that helps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, I think we got it! I'm not "exactly" sure which one of these steps worked because I did them one after the other. I really should have tested between each step, but I was getting sick of sending a kajillion emails to myself. :)

1. Uninstalled Synker
2. Cleared Cache
3. Gmail posted an update right after I cleared cache, so I updated the app.
4. Sent a bunch of emails to myself from Mail & Yahoo (& Gmail to Gmail). Both mail & Gmail gave me notifications (although they're much slower than my DM, but I can live with that). The only one that did not send a notification was Yahoo, but that's to be expected because it's been a POS for over the last year or so (both app & desktop), so I've slowly weaned off that one and will uninstall shortly.

So, bottom line is, I think I'm good to go. Thank you everyone for all the support, and jumping in here so quickly to help me out. This forum rocks! It's the only one I've actually signed up with (the other ones out there are lame in comparison). And thank you Sajokaz for the cache clearing suggestion. I'd forgotten about that, since it's been so long since I've done one. I certainly didn't think I'd have to do a cache clear and an FDR (another issue I had last week) on a phone that's only 3 weeks old, but c'est la vie!

I am now a happy camper!
dancing_banana.gif%7Ec200

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out maxxgirl! Happy camper is a great place to be and I love the dancing banana!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Glad to hear things are working better now @MaxxGrl. If things start acting weird again, post back here & I'm sure someone will offer some advice.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
And just FYI....on my wife's phone (Turbo 2) and all previous phones, I try to clear the cache once a week because of the social media apps she likes to use. And I try to sneak her phone away and reboot it (just a normal shutdown& restart) every 2-3 days. Makes a difference, IMHO.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've member on here cleared the cache. I was afraid I'd lose something that I needed... How do you do it and does every app have a cache that needs to be cleared and what goes away when you clear the cache? Sajokaz, I'm shutting down to go to sleep(up early to see my first grandson off to first day of kindergarten) but I'll look to see if you've answered tomorrow am.. Have a good night

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That was I've never cleared the cache.... I'm also having trouble with the auto correct... It's often wrong(sometimes in a twisted way) maybe I need to reset that somehow too

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Glad it worked out maxxgirl! Happy camper is a great place to be and I love the dancing banana!

TY! (yep, after all these years, the dancing banana is still the best)!

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Glad to hear things are working better now @MaxxGrl. If things start acting weird again, post back here & I'm sure someone will offer some advice.

TY!

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
And just FYI....on my wife's phone (Turbo 2) and all previous phones, I try to clear the cache once a week because of the social media apps she likes to use. And I try to sneak her phone away and reboot it (just a normal shutdown& restart) every 2-3 days. Makes a difference, IMHO.

Haha, you sly dog you! Yep, I also shut down and power up about once a week. Been rebooting my computer every day for years and it definitely keeps things running clean. Makes sense to do the same for the phone. Also, IMHO ;)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I've member on here cleared the cache. I was afraid I'd lose something that I needed... How do you do it and does every app have a cache that needs to be cleared and what goes away when you clear the cache? Sajokaz, I'm shutting down to go to sleep(up early to see my first grandson off to first day of kindergarten) but I'll look to see if you've answered tomorrow am.. Have a good night

Clearing the cache is non destructive, no user data is lost. To clear the system cache, try this:

Clear Cache Partition

To clear the app cache, go to Settings > Storage & USB > Internal > tap Cached Data > OK.

I usually clear the app cache first, shut down, clear the system cache and then restart. Is it unnecessary? Maybe. Does it hurt anything? I don't think so, never has for me, for 6 years and numerous Droid phones. Seems to keep them running smooth and better battery life.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thanks sajokaz, I'll try that periodically! I'm always afraid unless I ask someone I trust before I try something!

Smith 001

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung s7 edge
Maybe maxxgirl doesn't know that she has to come back to this thread to get her answer and to help you to help figure out her problem.. When I was new, I didn't know that...I thought someone would find me and send me an email to help me fix my problem.. It took me awhile to figure out how it works

That's right.We are willing to help others.:)rolleyes:Although I'm a new member)

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Big welcome to the forums Smith 001.. Folks are very friendly here, willing to give help and friendship... Enjoy!

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry about the long reply time. Work kept me going until 10:30 last night and back up at 5:30 this morning haha.

@redbert31 I believe your screen name stayed the same :) I think the new profile pic is great. Did you get your cache cleared?

@MaxxGrl I'm glad you got it back up and running like it should :) As @sajokaz said I also try to clear my cache every other day on my T2 also. Just seems to help keep things running smoothly. Everytime I clear the cache I reboot it also. Never hesitate to ask questions. When work isn't keeping me busy I'll always do my best to help :)

T2 Tappin'