After 12 days I am returning TB. And it ain't the battery

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Kparks : ) you have to stop beating the same old drum. LG Samsung and Moto all make great devices just as HTC does. The TB was rushed to market and it is no secret. It may work for you and that's great but it has fallen short of a lot of peoples expectations so you must respect that.

Running around calling all the other manufacturer's devices garbage doesn't make sense. Have your preferences but you should respect others opinions .

Sent from my Droid

I kinda agree with him, though they all have their major (not minor) faults. Locked bootloader, slow updates, bad battery life, unknown of support (LG, Sony). There is no "good" manufacturer right now.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

kparks

Reaction score
Kparks : ) you have to stop beating the same old drum. LG Samsung and Moto all make great devices just as HTC does. The TB was rushed to market and it is no secret. It may work for you and that's great but it has fallen short of a lot of peoples expectations so you must respect that.

Running around calling all the other manufacturer's devices garbage doesn't make sense. Have your preferences but you should respect others opinions .

Sent from my Droid

I kinda agree with him, though they all have their major (not minor) faults. Locked bootloader, slow updates, bad battery life, unknown of support (LG, Sony). There is no "good" manufacturer right now.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
the only thing i was referring to was support and updates shouldnt that be one of the most important things? i want LG to come in and take top spot to be honest i like them and i like there UI if they do good LG will be my next device for sure... i agree with jax.. but when i buy i want to know i will get the latest updates and if i have a problem it will get fixed ASAP.. and right now u only get that with 2 company's

Last edited:

sammyboy405

Reaction score
Just tested this out.

Best I can tell the Audio sounds find.

The Camcorder has 2 Microphones. One near the camera itself and one down below that is used while you talk on the phone. I played with if I covered one or the other up and there is considerable static and muffled audio. but as long as my hands/fingers where clear of the microphone the audio was awesome for a small recording device. Better than I expected anyways.

Sorry to hear your troubles. I came from a Moto Droid 1. And I do still love my Moto Droid. My wife has it now, she had an Eris before hand. She is in Hog Heaven now.

But Yea I dunno? I read about everyone having these "issues" And The only Issue I had was the Battery Drain while in 4G. That was an easy fix. everything else has just worked for me. Maybe im just one of the few lucky ones? I dunno.

subguy812

Reaction score
Just tested this out.

Best I can tell the Audio sounds find.

The Camcorder has 2 Microphones. One near the camera itself and one down below that is used while you talk on the phone. I played with if I covered one or the other up and there is considerable static and muffled audio. but as long as my hands/fingers where clear of the microphone the audio was awesome for a small recording device. Better than I expected anyways.

Sorry to hear your troubles. I came from a Moto Droid 1. And I do still love my Moto Droid. My wife has it now, she had an Eris before hand. She is in Hog Heaven now.

But Yea I dunno? I read about everyone having these "issues" And The only Issue I had was the Battery Drain while in 4G. That was an easy fix. everything else has just worked for me. Maybe im just one of the few lucky ones? I dunno.
I don't think you are one of the "few" lucky ones. There are many who are happy with their TB's. What you see is the norm for every new phone that hits the scene. No matter it is the iPhone, Droid 1 and every smartphone that will be arriving, it is that it has been awhile since these releases and we forget. For every one post that says they are returning theirs there is one that says they are not returning. I just never understood the concept of coming into a forum and announcing it as if you are wanting affirmation you are doing the right thing. I hated my D1 when it first came out. I got it right from the release and had to return it 2 times to get one that was right, I ended up loving the D1. But I will say this for the thread, you sucked me into reading it.

slinky

Reaction score
There is definitely a software bug with video recording. They will fix it. Yes, I think the phone was released in an incredibly sloppy fashion, almost telling us they know we will live with whatever slop they dump so long as it is 4G. No, I don't think the Dinc 2 is a step up from this phone.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
even if my phone does have a video recording audio issue..i dont think i care.. i rarely video record.. i did the other day tho.. you can hear the guy holding the phone pretty good.. but not the other guy... talking to the cam.. is that the issue??

if i wanna get good footage and audio.. i bust out my FLIP. the INC audio while video recording wasnt all that great either.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
There is a Verizon release leak floating around here. It shows DINC2 to be released april 28

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Reaction score
Though I respect everyone's opinions and preferences for the features they want in their phones, I have to respectfully disagree with what some are saying about the launch of the Thunderbolt... honestly, there isn't a smartphone out there that has been released and had everything 100% perfect from day 1. Just a few examples that I can think of off the top of my noggin (and note, I am not stating everything wrong with the phone, just the big ones that I remember hearing about):

iPhone 4: Dropped calls due to poor antenna design
Droid Incredible: Poor battery life
Droid X: Exchange/Active Sync issues, Bad Screens
Galaxy S: GPS radio issues

I could probably go on, but no phone is perfect no matter whom the Manufacturer is. The problems with the TBolt (aside from what many are calling a wimpy battery) are 99% software based, meaning they can and will update and fix them.

HTC certainly seems to take their customers seriously as I was told by a couple of different reps that they had recieved many complaints (such as the mic mute when AUX cable is plugged into the phone) and were definately looking for a software update to resolve. Hell, my Droid X went through an update within a few days of its release for some issues, then more got fixed on the FroYo update.

I am going to stay the course with this phone. I'm getting 16 hour battery uptimes and have workarounds for most of the other minor issues I've seen (and reported to HTC, btw). I would encourage you to do the same.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
^^ Now there's a sweet post. Agree 100%. Everyone's acting like HTC has all these problems. I've been here for awhile and everyone always thinks that about every phone that comes out. I'm happy with the Thunderbolt and I'm getting 15+ hour battery uptimes as well. People... we're never going to get a perfect phone!

DVR6

Reaction score
My main problem with the phone (and I tried two of them) was it was hard to talk outside in any wind at all. Both phones did it. The call quality was terrible compared to my D1 and the callers on the other side more than once commented on it. They said; where are you, in a hurricane? ; did you get a new phone because I'm having a hard time understanding you? ; hey call me back when you get inside. Stuff like that. Both brand new phones did it. I could hear the wind noise on my side as well. Audio output was also subpar compared to my D1. Not as loud and at top volume slightly distorts with certain voices. Ringer and notifications were hard to hear. My D1 will startle if it's all the way up.. Not so on the TB.

If others agreed I may have stuck it out with the hopes of a fix from an update. Unfortunatelly most, but not all, keep saying it has the best sound and call quality ever, so I decided to return it. If no one is complaining it isn't gonna get fixed.

cpjr

Reaction score
No phone is perfect, they all have pros and cons ;)

Mine has terrible audio quality when Im trying to talk on it under water :icon_eek:

Netnurse

Reaction score
I also love my TB. I've had none of the problems people are mentioning. Perhaps it's device specific and has nothing to do with overall build.

I don't understand how some people could give up on such a terrific device without at least trying a replacement to see if it is the specific device having the problems.

To each his own I guess

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk Pro

alboboy10

Reaction score
Things I would like fixed on this phone at the moment...the little internal free memory.
When I'm texting, I hit the back key and saves it as a draft, when I go back to the text and send it...when I go back to text the person, the same text keeps showing up. I have to reset the phone for that to go away.
After sending a text and hitting the back key, there is a bit of a lag sometimes going back to the home screen.
The keyboard also lags a little once in a while texting. Which is weird cause online it doesn't lag, but on text it does. Which is the exact opposite issue that my DX had.
Battery has improved drastically, can be improved a little more though.
Sound quality isn't GREAT it's a little more muffled than the DX, but it is definitely a very loud phone.

Reaction score
(snip)Sound quality isn't GREAT it's a little more muffled than the DX, but it is definitely a very loud phone.

In what respect? I think the speakerbar sounds fantastic on speakerphone or especially when playing music. When I had both the test TBolt and my old Droid X, I played the same song side by side and the Tbolt really sounded great. (Hint: Flip open the kickstand for even better sound!)

Also, I think with Gingerbread, we'll be getting an EQ for the sound, which would be really cool.