Afraid my D1 might be done????? Please help!

jchammer123

Reaction score
So I've searched for this and only found two answers, neither of which have panned out. Hopefully someone can help me.

So yesterday out of the blue my droid screen just started freaking out. The status bar would come down and things would get touched without me touching the screen. When I googled this the only suggestions are use a motorola charger because other chargers can make it do this, and that the screen maybe got a little moisture on it maybe from being in my pocket on a hot day. I thought, that could be it as I am in Houston and everyday is a hot sweaty day and my phone stays in my pocket. So I let it sit for awhile and last night it was working fine. Then, today when I was using my navigation it started freaking out again. Now my back button barely works. It seems like if I smack the screen (I know, not the best idea) that it starts to work again.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution????????

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

bdub33

Reaction score
Do you bring your phone with you in the bathroom during showers? That caused mine to do that twice. Try a different rom perhaps

DavMar

Reaction score
Mine has done it maybe 6-8 times... Chevy's SS, LGB, MIUI .. didn't matter the Rom... everytime, hot n muggy out and in my pocket... everything become like its possessed... I usually pull battery to interrupt it. Let things cool down, starts working OK again. The joys of the og!

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
That's weird, I've always carried my phone in my pocket and I've lived in Houston (where its always *very hot and muggy) since I've had my d1. I don't take it in the bathroom when I shower but I know when I walk my dogs and have it in my pocket it may get some moisture from sweat. I've always used SS and have never had this happen til yesterday and today. Do you think the screen getting moist like that would affect my back button?

Last edited by a moderator:

DavMar

Reaction score
It affects everything, every button on mine... that's why battery pull is only solution... mentioned it to Chevy months ago, he said "that's weird". Most likely not the Roms but a specific phone.

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't think its a rom issue. Like I said, I've always used SS and been on 5.5 since it was released. I was just praying that it wasn't my phone crapping out cuz I've got two months left before I can upgrade, lol. Maybe I should shut my phone off and pull the battery and leave it out tonight. Maybe there's still some moisture in it.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
A non OEM charger does this. The screen is capacitive...a change in the voltage/ma and it acts possessed.

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
A non OEM charger does this. The screen is capacitive...a change in the voltage/ma and it acts possessed.

I saw that when I googled it, but I only use the charger that came with the phone. Unless I'm in my car, then I use the charger that I got from Verizon. For 30 bucks that better work right, lol!

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
So my D1 is done! I've tried everything suggested and the problems have steadily increased! Now my touch screen is almost completely useless. I have to open the keypad and use the d-pad if I want to select anything. Its a sad day for me!!!

hillpv

Reaction score
Ok so after experiencing this screen freak out problem I started doing some research. There are several theories as to what the cause (and solution) is for this issue. I feel like I finally found the actual answer to both the problem and solution yesterday. Yesterday my phone started having this problem very badly. In the past it would do it for a few minutes but I could usually make the phone work enough to get my stitcher app started and then eventually the problem would go away. However yesterday I literally could do NOTHING with my phone. So since I work in a research laboratory I placed my phone in a vacuum desiccator for a half hour and haven't had any problems since. So in my mind this definitively shows that it is humidity/moisture related and finding a way to dry the phone out will allow it to recover.
If you do not have access to an industrial vacuum desiccator (Which most people don't) there are still a few ways to attempt to dry out the screen. Assuming the phone is already worthless, this is a last stitch effort to try and bring it around. 1. Find the purest form of isopropyl alcohol (at least 80% preferably 90% - 100%). Remove battery from the phone and submerse the entire phone NOT BATTERY in the alcohol. Remove from the alcohol and wipe down or if you have the ability blow off with compressed air and set aside for at least 48 hours, preferably 72 hours. It is very important to allow the alcohol time to evaporate and since it is going to be inside the phone cavities this will take many hours in this case. Alcohol displaces moisture and in our lab we have found that it will actually remove water from components that we are testing. Of course we have the vacuum to speed the evaporation but alcohol will evaporate on its own given enough time in a normal room temperature climate.
2. You can wrap the phone (Not battery) in paper coffee filters and completely submerse in a container of rice for a few days. The rice will supposedly attract the moisture from the phone. I have had less luck with this but it is a safer idea when compared to the alcohol.
I hope this helps! Also, depending on where you are in the world, I would be glad to throw anyone's phone in our vacuum system to try and bring them back to life. You just have to find a way to get the phone(s) to me and back to you.

Reaction score
I must say this is one of the coolest, geekiest things I've ever read regarding phones.

I tip my hat to you, sir or ma'am.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

666ogre666

Reaction score
I was about to post this but yea its all about moisture. I did the rice thing but a quick fix is as simple as putting it in front of an ac unit where the air is dehumidified.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums