Advice on New Phone

Malithar

Reaction score
Two years ago, my upgrade choice was a no brainer. Went from the OG Droid to the Galaxy Nexus. However, it met an unfortunate end about 8 months ago, and I've been using a friend's Droid 2 Global that I got for pretty cheap ever since. I've read of Verizon's new Maxx plan, where unlimited data users can upgrade and get the 6 gig package for $20, and while I'll miss the unlimited data, 6 gigs is more than enough for typical usage.

With that in mind, I've been browsing Verizon's offerings and I'm just really stumped on what to go for. I'm familiar (though it's been awhile since I've been active with it) on rooting, and the capabilities doing so offers.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 seems to be the default go-to for most, but to be honest, the white look is a bit off putting.

The HTC One (and One Maxx... any difference besides the screen size?) is a tad off putting for the same reasons as the S4, though I've read a lot of good things concerning the phone.

The Moto X and Droid Maxx seem (from the reviews I've read) to be more or less the same phone, as far as internals go, except the screen size and battery are much improved on the Maxx. I wasn't much of a fan of the Razr or Razr Maxx. Would these be viable options? I was reading about some phone specific voice control options with these models. Are these capabilities able to be used on another device that's been rooted?

The last that stands out is the LG G2. Kinda leaning towards this one to be honest. The only stopping point I'm hitting is I've never had any experiences with an LG phone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on shopping through Wirefly using Fatwallet, so price isn't much of a concern. Though if there's any amazing deals elsewhere, I'd appreciate the heads up. :D With the deals I'm seeing on Wirefly, I'm kinda leaning towards either the HTC One Maxx ($99 + you get a $40 gift card -- today only!) or the LG G2 ($39.99). How has Sense UI aged? Have they progressed it enough so that it's usable? Or would my first task with the HTC be to root and flash a new ROM?

Anything else (game breaking or phone breaking) I should know about any of these devices?

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I would keep your unlimited data and buy another nexus on Swappa for $100. I wouldn't give up unlimited for anything.

Manufacturers are moving away from expandable storage while pushing cloud services. At the same time, service providers are charging more for data and giving you less data to start with. Look at your data usage 4 years ago with your OG DROID. Now look at your data usage 2 years ago and then now. I would bet that your data usage has increased quite a bit. I would think twice before you give up your unlimited data plan.

As far as phones go, there is really nothing that newer phones can do that your old galaxy nexus can't do. I just went through this same dilemma in September as my nexus fell out of my pocket on a roller coaster and didn't survive. I looked at my options and nothing really wowed me. I ended up buying another nexus.

Now if you have the new phone bug and don't want to buy a new phone and go the used route here is what I would suggest:

1. Galaxy nexus if you are into modding. ($100)

2. DROID RAZR MAXX HD if you just want a great phone that works. ($200)

3. DROID RAZR M of you don't want a big phone, but still has all of the features of flagship phones.

If you don't see anything on Swappa that excites you and decide to go the new phone router this is what I would choose:

1. Moto X for its size and form factor

2. DROID MAXX for its battery and build quality / durability

3. HTC One for its durability

4. Galaxy S4 for its storage capabilities (up to 80gb with a 64gb SD card) and removable battery

I'm not a big fan of the galaxy series (I only have a galaxy nexus because it is a nexus) as I prefer Motorola phones for their radios, build quality, and size options. I've found that Samsung devices are fragile, unlike my experience with Motorola and HTC phones.

I'm currently running Slim 4.4.2 on my galaxy nexus that is modded to wirelessly charge with a Palm touchstone wireless charger. Slim has all the new bells and whistles such as active display and 4.4 photosphere. If you desire other features such as motion controls, there are apps for that and most of the other new features on the latest devices.

In the end it will be what gives you the cool factor and excitement that you desire from you phone. Enjoy your phone search.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
How about a black note 3? I love that phone. Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either MOTO device. IMO they are both solid devices.

NOVICE

Reaction score
All the phones you reference are superior and I can't see how you can go wrong.

I vote for the Note 3 provided you are in an area with a strong signal. The radios are good but not the absolute best.

If you can handle the form factor the Note series has everything and more. I actually prefer touch wiz to vanilla Android.

And the S pen really distinguishes the phone from other devices. Originally the stylus held no appeal for me but that quickly changed as I became habituated to constantly jotting down information. Faster than typing and the program opens immediately upon removing the pen from its recess.

Wirefly

Reaction score
Thanks for considering Wirefly! You may also check out our youtube page to in depth video reviews which may address many of your tech specific questions.

Thanks,

-Reggie

Wirefly

Reaction score
Two years ago, my upgrade choice was a no brainer. Went from the OG Droid to the Galaxy Nexus. However, it met an unfortunate end about 8 months ago, and I've been using a friend's Droid 2 Global that I got for pretty cheap ever since. I've read of Verizon's new Maxx plan, where unlimited data users can upgrade and get the 6 gig package for $20, and while I'll miss the unlimited data, 6 gigs is more than enough for typical usage.

With that in mind, I've been browsing Verizon's offerings and I'm just really stumped on what to go for. I'm familiar (though it's been awhile since I've been active with it) on rooting, and the capabilities doing so offers.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 seems to be the default go-to for most, but to be honest, the white look is a bit off putting.

The HTC One (and One Maxx... any difference besides the screen size?) is a tad off putting for the same reasons as the S4, though I've read a lot of good things concerning the phone.

The Moto X and Droid Maxx seem (from the reviews I've read) to be more or less the same phone, as far as internals go, except the screen size and battery are much improved on the Maxx. I wasn't much of a fan of the Razr or Razr Maxx. Would these be viable options? I was reading about some phone specific voice control options with these models. Are these capabilities able to be used on another device that's been rooted?

The last that stands out is the LG G2. Kinda leaning towards this one to be honest. The only stopping point I'm hitting is I've never had any experiences with an LG phone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on shopping through Wirefly using Fatwallet, so price isn't much of a concern. Though if there's any amazing deals elsewhere, I'd appreciate the heads up. :D With the deals I'm seeing on Wirefly, I'm kinda leaning towards either the HTC One Maxx ($99 + you get a $40 gift card -- today only!) or the LG G2 ($39.99). How has Sense UI aged? Have they progressed it enough so that it's usable? Or would my first task with the HTC be to root and flash a new ROM?

Anything else (game breaking or phone breaking) I should know about any of these devices?

Thanks for considering Wirefly! You may also check out our youtube page for in-depth video reviews which may address many of your tech specific questions. Visit www.youtube.com/wirefly.

Thanks,

-Reggie