Advice on my OG Droid

Jimbop

Reaction score
I have an OG Droid. It runs good at times but becomes extremely flaky at others. Some of the button covers on the keyboard are falling off, the accelerometer gets stuck in one direction often until I open up the keyboard, and the screen constantly doesn't lock out when I have my phone to my head. I have been debating whether it is going to be worth it for me to try to use my insurance on this phone or not. Take note, my phone is also rooted, so I would have to wipe the SD card first, put it back to stock, warranty it for at minimum another OG Droid, and root that since I don't want to go without the rooting capability. Anyone have any advice for me?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
As far as your hardware issues, I would either use insurance or try to fix it yourself. Regarding all the random software issues, I would just flash back to stock using the 2.0.1 sbf and then reroot. There are also a bunch of custom roms to try and its very possible that flashing one could fix your software issues.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
when exactly did you get the og droid? I would imagine you're due for an upgrade soon...

hardware doesn't last forever, as you're experiencing this first hand, but unfortunately there isn't another device like the droid. You could try looking for another droid off craigslist or something.

If you really love the og droid that much, you could try going through insurance.

OP
J

Jimbop

Reaction score
when exactly did you get the og droid? I would imagine you're due for an upgrade soon...

hardware doesn't last forever, as you're experiencing this first hand, but unfortunately there isn't another device like the droid. You could try looking for another droid off craigslist or something.

If you really love the og droid that much, you could try going through insurance.

I am due for an equipment upgrade, but I not only right now don't have the cash to upgrade to a much better device but also I will only upgrade to a device with an unlocked bootloader. I very much prefer the freedom my OG Droid allows me to something that binds me to what Big Red wants.

I am currently running Simply Stunning v5.2 for a ROM with a Chevyno1 low voltage 1GHz kernel. I generally keep it clocked down to 600 GHz and only throttle it up to 1 GHz when I am running some heavier use apps. I have flashed between a few ROMS and the issues seem to persist throughout all of them, so it makes me think more of it is hardware than software. I just am not sure if taking the risk of insuring it will give me something that is worse off than I already have.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I am due for an equipment upgrade, but I not only right now don't have the cash to upgrade to a much better device but also I will only upgrade to a device with an unlocked bootloader. I very much prefer the freedom my OG Droid allows me to something that binds me to what Big Red wants.

I am currently running Simply Stunning v5.2 for a ROM with a Chevyno1 low voltage 1GHz kernel. I generally keep it clocked down to 600 GHz and only throttle it up to 1 GHz when I am running some heavier use apps. I have flashed between a few ROMS and the issues seem to persist throughout all of them, so it makes me think more of it is hardware than software. I just am not sure if taking the risk of insuring it will give me something that is worse off than I already have.

Gotcha, like I said there really is no other device available like the OG droid.

My family may be going through an upgrade soon. I took good care of my OG Droid, but I gave it to my sibling and have yet to see it's condition. IF we do decide to upgrade, I'll be willing to part with it to help a fellow member out. I'm pretty sure it's still in pretty good condition, better than yours that's for sure, and I'd let it go for a small price.

I'd try going through insurance first, though they may send you a droid 2