Advice on Kernel / RAM [MIUI 1.1.7.0; OG Droid] (& a few other things)

frankjaegar

Reaction score
So here's the situation.
I've been a long time CM user, but 6.1 and my Droid did not get along very well, and I heard of this mystical "MIUI" thing that I wanted to try. And thus far, I really like it! The unified UI elements are great, and I like the features a lot. I just have a few burning questions, and a few not-so-burning that I kind of need resolved.

The big one, the thread topic: What kernel / RAM management should I use? I know every Droid has its own personality (things that worked flawlessly on my original won't boot at all on my replacement I have now, and vice versa) so just throw some scenarios at me. I think the thing that's most important to me is smoothness and responsiveness of UI. Right now I'm using Jamezelle's 250-1100-compcache with a 64MB Swap partition, and it's doing alright, however kernels based on P3Droid's make my Droid angry. I'm using SetCPU set to 250-1100 interactive, and MinFreeManager set to 'mild'. I have the Seidio 2800MAh extended battery, so battery life is NOT a concern.
Tell me friends, what can I do to make my Droid a BEAST?

Things at my disposal: SetCPU, MinFreeManager, AutoStarts, GScript, ROM Manager Premium.

Side questions about MIUI I just don't understand and can't find answers to:
  • Is there a way to bring back the normal task switcher?
  • I have 3 keyboards installed, the default, WiiMoteIME, and a Japanese IME; it always defaults to the WiiMoteIME on reboots. How can I stop that? Or turn them off like in Stock? It's annoying as balls.
  • Why doesn't formatting work at all in the SMS pop-ups...?
  • In your opinion, is the MIUI launcher worth it? I have a license to LauncherPro, and I always toy with going back to it.
  • Since 1.1.7.0, anytime I try to update an app I get an "Unknown Error (-18)". ...wut? Why? Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it because some Apps are on the SD? It ain't no thang, because all my apps are at stable versions, but... it would be nice to fix.
  • What does MIUI mean/stand for?!
  • The global search confuses me... is there no way to search the web unless you wait for the option to pop up?

Thank you all, have a wonderful morning/day/evening/night.

Last edited:

codelinx

Reaction score
For the resetting part if you wipe dalvik cache and the regular cache then install the ROM fresh you will stop getting restarts. The kernel I have read will also cause restarts. MIUI is an awesome ROM but has some shortcomings, like the keyboard resetting to default after random restarts. Another problem is that when and if you use a backup utility you shouldn’t restore the app and data, but just the app itself because eventually it’ll do weird things again. I think that’s all I can offer you as far as info as from what I have searched myself.

P.S. Titanium Backup is an awsome backup and restore utility for any rooted droid owners.

SirVilhelm

Reaction score
Side questions about MIUI I just don't understand and can't find answers to:
  • I have 3 keyboards installed, the default, WiiMoteIME, and a Japanese IME; it always defaults to the WiiMoteIME on reboots. How can I stop that? Or turn them off like in Stock? It's annoying as balls.
  • In your opinion, is the MIUI launcher worth it? I have a license to LauncherPro, and I always toy with going back to it.
  • Since 1.1.7.0, anytime I try to update an app I get an "Unknown Error (-18)". ...wut? Why? Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it because some Apps are on the SD? It ain't no thang, because all my apps are at stable versions, but... it would be nice to fix.

Thank you all, have a wonderful morning/day/evening/night.

For the kernel I use chevy's ultralow 1.1 kernel with setcpu and have had good results with speed and battery life. I don't use compache because it never really played well with my phone, always had to bounce my phone twice a day.

As for your questions above.

• [1] I had the same keyboard problem when I installed Swype. I just deleted the stock keyboard, problem went away :). Doesn't sound like you can do that though.

[2] In my opinion the stock MIUI launcher blows. Give me app drawer or give me death! So I deleted that too and use ADW Ex which works really well and is speedy.

[3] All my apps update without issue. Not sure why that is a problem. Try uninstalling an app and reinstalling from the market.

Hope this helps

OP
F

frankjaegar

Reaction score
@codelinx: Thanks! I actually knew about the Dalvik Cache, etc., and have the donate version of Titanium Backup (I should've listed those) because I'm always searching for the perfect ROM. And as for the keyboard, the problem isn't that it resets to default; the problem is that it's resetting to NOT default. Everytime I boot my phone the WiiMoteIME is selected by default.

So what's everyone's favorite kernel? I'm looking for something that has compcache and the Interactive governor.

TMYINC

Reaction score
I use P3Droid and Slayher's kernels for the most part. So since your Droid does not like P3Droid kernels I would go with Slayher's. Index of /DL/LFY/KERNELS I honestly do not use compcache but they work well with it enabled in my testing. My Droid would run great for a day then get sluggish. It runs great with it off and running the interactive governor. Lately I have been trying out CM's stock kernel and the modified Milestone Overclock app found here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cy...estone-oc-application-tut-13.html#post1188613
It has an interactive kernel also but you can change your high end speed without flashing a different kernel. It is very useful and a great concept. As far as MIUI goes, hoppermi has a great guide here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...read-before-posting-ui-related-questions.html
I do like the launcher and I feel that it is one of the things that makes MIUI so unique, which is why I use it since it is not like most other roms. As mentioned before,
ADW EX does work well on it and it is the launcher I use on all other roms. The MIUI launcher takes some getting used to and is not for everybody. The latest build has some new screen transitions and other small updates to it. Jamezelle does an awesome job of porting it and keeping us up to date in a very timely fashion. Now since I have rambled on, lol, I will just say that to each is own but MIUI is definitely a keeper and a rom to keep your eye on. Good luck on whatever you choose and I hope it works well for you and your Droid!

Darkthalasi

Reaction score
[*]Since 1.1.7.0, anytime I try to update an app I get an "Unknown Error (-18)". ...wut? Why? Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it because some Apps are on the SD? It ain't no thang, because all my apps are at stable versions, but... it would be nice to fix.

I had this same problem, all you need to do is move the apps back to the phone and delete the files in .android_secure folder on the sd card. This worked for me, hope it helps.