Advice on best Droid to buy - Verizon

m3shelly

Reaction score
My Droid starting acting up again, doing the 'possessed' thing. I was able to get it to stop acting up, but now my power button doesn't work at all. I can't make the phone sleep/lock, and I have to slide open the keyboard to unlock it. I can handle it, but I don't want to live like this, especially since I can't pocket the phone until my screen times out and locks itself.

I am looking for advice on the best Android phone to buy. I do have insurance on this one, so I could just pay the $65 or whatever and get a Droid replacement, but my contract is also up with Verizon, so I can get an upgrade.

This forum has been very helpful with other issues I have had in the past; please give me your suggestions on this issue... the only thing that I must have in a replacement is a real keyboard.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Well if you have to have a physical keyboard, the Droid 2 Global.

But if I were you, the Droid 3 should be releasing soon, so id get that.

OP
m3shelly

m3shelly

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I saw an ad for the Droid2 the other day, and I thought it was released recently. I then saw reconditioned models available on Verizon's website, and learned its been out awhile.

I don't have time to keep up with all this!

matt2783

Reaction score
It's been out for almost a year now I think. As stated above, the droid 3 is right around the corner if you can wait and need a keyboard. If you don't, there are a lot of options. Incredible 2 and DX2 are already out and a lot more coming pretty soon like the Bionic and (hopefully soon) Galaxy S2.

OP
m3shelly

m3shelly

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks everyone!

I am getting by with the malfunctioing power button... I set the screen time-out for the shortest allowable time of 15 sec, and just wait 1/4 minute before sticking the thing in a pocket. That gets a little agravating cause I had that set at the max value since I got the phone, and I have to remember to touch the screen frequently while reading things, like this forum for instance. I'm sure I will get accustomed to this while waiting for the next Droid.

Thanks again!
Shelly

grnidkjun

Reaction score
What is Motorola doing about the "Phantom" issues though?
A friend was at the house this weekend and he was showing us how his motorola droid 2 starts txting gibberish automatically.
He said it happens whenever he's outside and the unit gets warm. But he hates it.. is this happening on the newer units too.. the X2 just came out and am wondering if this is still an issue there.
And if it will be on the D3 and Bionic as well.

I wish Samsung would hurry up with their dual core on cdma soon.
I had the sales associates at Verizon trying to push the Charge on me but I'm just not ready to make that leap yet.

OP
m3shelly

m3shelly

Reaction score
The Invisible Lock Widget is awesome! Thank you Runway!

That basically changes everything back to normal, giving me the ability to instantly lock by holding the search button (which I made locking the default action, since I never use voice commands), and I unlock by sliding the keyboard open slightly.

Now it will be much easier waiting for D3. Thanks again!
Shelly

runway500

Reaction score

That basically changes everything back to normal, giving me the ability to instantly lock by holding the search button (which I made locking the default action, since I never use voice commands), and I unlock by sliding the keyboard open slightly.

Shelly

No problem I'm glad I could help

OP
m3shelly

m3shelly

Reaction score
What is Motorola doing about the "Phantom" issues though?
A friend was at the house this weekend and he was showing us how his motorola droid 2 starts txting gibberish automatically.
He said it happens whenever he's outside and the unit gets warm. But he hates it.. is this happening on the newer units too.. the X2 just came out and am wondering if this is still an issue there.
And if it will be on the D3 and Bionic as well.

I wish Samsung would hurry up with their dual core on cdma soon.
I had the sales associates at Verizon trying to push the Charge on me but I'm just not ready to make that leap yet.

By reading through other threads concerning the phantom/possessed issue, it is easy to see that is a humidity/condensation problem. When I first witnessed my Droid possesed, it kept hitting a couple specific keys, like P and I, for instance Judging from that reaction, I am willing to bet the problem is condensing water under the keypad, causing fake button pushes.

I don't know what type of microswitches they use under that keyboard, but I'm sure Motorola knows of the problem and has performed temperature, humidity, and condensation tests on the units. I just wish they would correct the issue, though it doesn't happen too often, to me at least.

Ryan57ford

Reaction score
My droid does the crazy possessed stuff too, but I know mine is caused when the screen gets any kind of water on it... I have had it after washing my hands and then playing with it, I remember once it got a rain drop on it, and even after wiping it dry it went crazy for about half hour... I dunno if maybe the water makes it thing its being used and it gets a bunch of commands all jammed in it and they just go crazy or what.. but Yeah, mine almost always has been after getting a bit of moisture on the screen.

OP
m3shelly

m3shelly

Reaction score

Shelly

Now, my power button is starting to work again, but only partially. I am still using Runway's excellent invisible lock widget to lock the phone, but I noticed last night that I can now hold the pwr button and get a list of shut-down options! Still not locking with a short cmd, but long cmd is working! - better than pulling the battery to power down. At this rate, in one more week, it will be fully functional.

Odd things these Droids be.

OP
m3shelly

m3shelly

Reaction score
Update: as expected, the pwr button is beginning to function normally again. It doesn't work on the first try all the time, but each day it gets a little better.

I am really happy about that, since using a keyboard slide to unlock the phone always results in the long wait times to redraw the 'home' screen. And, it's not just on the first view, the long wait happens on every home cmd after using the keyboard to unlock! The short pwr button command is working better to unlock, so I will get over that cr@p.

I don't know why, but it seems that with every issue I've had with this Droid over the past two years, it has healed itself! Well, except for the loose female connectors for charging and the headphone jack; I wish I could disassemble and tighten the internal connectors of that headphone jack... has anyone here had one apart that far? Is it simple to get at the headphone jack? It sucks not having music (or crackling music)!