Advice needed by iOS refugee

joshxdroid

Reaction score
It might be gingerbread out of the box, but it should update to ICS immediately right? Aren't all razr's on ics?

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

comk4ver

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Try checking it this forum and see if they've been upgraded yet. That's the downfall of android not all phones get the upgrades which is why it's preferable to get an expensive flagship phone versus a mid range phone. But, honestly if you're lucky and there's a developer community for a particular phone then you can sidestep that issue.

Reaction score
If you are planning on rooting and romming try the Sg3. It will have the best camera and decent battery life. If your just keeping it stock then I would say RAZR Maxx or HD RAZR Max. For the tablet the galaxy tab 2 is decent or try the Asus transformer tablet for your tablet as it can't function as tablet/laptop although I haven't personally used one.

Edit: both of those phones are 4" if you want smaller then RAZR M would best fit your needs.

Sent from Razr Maxx running Koa cm10

joshxdroid

Reaction score
comk4ver said:
Not necessarily. Try checking it this forum and see if they've been upgraded yet. That's the downfall of android not all phones get the upgrades which is why it's preferable to get an expensive flagship phone versus a mid range phone. But, honestly if you're lucky and there's a developer community for a particular phone then you can sidestep that issue.

I'm not sure I believe this. Unless you root your razr to avoid ota updates, you should be able to pull ice cream sandwich simply by checking for updates

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

diablo81588

Reaction score
Or the razr cranberry (free) as seen here: https://m.verizonwireless.com/shop/details/All_Phones/v/6187
The thing is that it's on gingerbread but for your qualifications it's just right you just want to call, text, and photos. It also has hotspot capabilities. Are you only considering Verizon? But the razr m is actually super cheap right now being $50 online.

All droid RAZRs have been on ICS since June. There are no differences between them other than color.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

diablo81588

Reaction score
If you are planning on rooting and romming try the Sg3. It will have the best camera and decent battery life. If your just keeping it stock then I would say RAZR Maxx or HD RAZR Max. For the tablet the galaxy tab 2 is decent or try the Asus transformer tablet for your tablet as it can't function as tablet/laptop although I haven't personally used one.

Edit: both of those phones are 4" if you want smaller then RAZR M would best fit your needs.

Sent from Razr Maxx running Koa cm10

Neither of those phones are anywhere near 4 inches. The s3 is 4.8 and the RAZR HD is 4.7. Even the M is 4.3, but it's very small in comparison since the bezels are thin.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
P

Poita

Reaction score
Well I think I'm going for the Galaxy Note 10.1. I want more than media consumption so I think that's the best one for productivity and at £266 in the UK the price is great. Also as I'm going to buy it from John Lewis I get two years warranty rather than one year.

I'm still undecided on the phone. I guess I'll just get a second hand glalaxy ace or S2 for now. I can still use it as a hotspot and the camera is ok and if they have a mini SD slot I can interchange quickly with the Note 10.1

superrazer

Reaction score
I know the feeling.

I had a crappy little samsung for a while but I liked it. Touch wiz got old to me because it reminded me of the ipod so much and it was outdated. I now own a droid razr and I couldn't be happier. It's thin but packs a large screen so you don't feel
cramped , it's fast, and it's pretty cheap. I give it my full recommendation. If there are any other guidelines you want to be followed when you get your droid, we would all like to know so you can get the phone that best suits your needs. Welcome to the site and be happy you left ios. I know someone who switched from droid to iphone for a reason I have forgotten but I always say, I'm sorry for your loss.