1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Advice from the masses.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by eclsnowman, Feb 25, 2010.

1. eclsnowman

eclsnowman New Member

Hey everyone,

My droid from ebay will arrive tomorrow. I have been readying the forums for a week now and understand the basics of Root, Custom Recovery Consoles, Nandroid, Kernels, Overclocking, 2.01 vs 2.1, etc. But I want to be ready when my phone arrives tomorrow. I am not looking for how too's... I am looking for why/why-not's.

This is my work phone so it HAS TO BE rock stable. I caught a lot of crap running all my custom i910 roms if they ever hampered my ability to use the phone for work. I am looking for advice on which combination of roms/themes/kernels/overclocking etc would best fit my needs. Here is what I am looking for.

1.) I would like modest overclockability while keeping it cool.
    2.) No need for launcher2 (buggy from what i have read)
    3.) No need for Live Wallpaper (I like race cars better than show cars anyway)
    4.) Some of the nice HD video recording and Youtube hacks would be nice.
    5.) Some of the 2.1 handy apps (gallery, etc.)
    6.) Multitouch if it is stable
    7.) Wifi Tethering
    8.) Would like it to run cool with long battery (don't we all)

Basically I am looking for a solid stripped down performer with stability and reliability in mind. The reason I left Winmo was because of lockups and restarts. What are your thoughts. BB_1.1? BB_0.4? DM_1.0? SS_1.0.2? Combination of parts from each? any help would be appreciated.
  2. pthance

pthance New Member

Droidmod will give you the ability to choose the options you find suit you best, most other ROMs come "as is" with launchers, live wallpapers, etc. But in the end, you will have to make the decision...many people here will disagree with me saying BB this or Smoked Glass that (I'm sure I'm leaving other ROM's out that are just as good). DroidMod is (in my opinion) about usability, stability, and choice...and I have found that most other ROM's usually don't have that complete trifecta working for them.
  3. LtKen

LtKen New Member

+1 plus the ease of use factor.
  4. TheCleaner

TheCleaner New Member

Obvious Answer:

The stock ROM is going to be the most "rock stable" you are going to get. I mean that in a "well boss...it's a bug in the firmware...but Motorola is working on it" kind of way. Not that it performs or is better than a custom ROM overall.

Just easier to say that to the boss than "I know the phone died...but I was told online that this new custom ROM was rock solid and flawless!"
  5. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

so i made my own custom smoke glass u can find on this forum, but i have to agree for what u want droidmod all the way. I like all the goodies and live wallpapers and stuff personaly. However droidmod will be easiest and best for more of a work phone.
  6. eclsnowman

eclsnowman New Member

A little more info

Thanks for the quick reply's please keep-em cumming.

I know there is no best rom, there never will be. If playing around on my i910 has taught me anything there the newest roms, the stock roms, the tweeked speed roms good for cooking eggs, the super customized UI roms, any hopefully the old reliable ones good for fall backs. I am digging the DM 1.0 path to start out with. Any recommendations on additions once I get it set up?
  7. 3083joe

3083joe New Member

I think its so easy to install roms by the time u have had it a month u will have installed everyone of them and been able to make ur own dicision!
  8. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

DM is actually having some stability issues. I highly suggest you read their forums..... too much for me to type on my phone lol
  9. sehorn12385

sehorn12385 New Member

droid mod is good but in my opinion sholes.mod 2.05 was alot more stable or 2.06 and is a little more appealing but yet still basic, I have had most of the sholes and droid mod roms and those were the least buggy in my opinion
  10. BostonBill

BostonBill New Member

Here is a link to droidmodforum that addresses some of the issues

Getting boot-loops with 2.0.6/1.0?
  11. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

droid mod 1 hasn't given me any trouble at all, and I'm clocked to 1ghz.
  12. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

I run BB v1.1 with ChevyNo1's 1.2GHZ kernel, overclocked to 1GHZ. Runs stable, runs cool, battery life is better than stock with profiles enabled with setCPU. Yeah, it has live wallpapers, but I dont use them. Race cars are better than show cars, but eye candy is nice once in a while too.
  13. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Smoked Glass 4.5 with AdamZ's new kernel. 0 FC from it, live wallpapers are not bundled in, the kernel has alot of flexibility all the way to a stable 1100. Comes with launcher2.apk but I don't use it, you have a choice. Have tried SholesMod (and DroidMod), BB, BB2.1, and always came back to this. It is the most stable on my phone.
  14. Invader DJ

Invader DJ New Member

Work phone? Is your job paying for it? If so, nice, wish I had that job...

But I would recommend trying DroidMod since it does let you pick and choose changes and lets you easily get back to stock, but honestly, the only way to get rock solid, no errors whatsoever reliability will be with the stock ROM. The good thing is that you can easily go back to stock if you have any problems. I would definitely avoid the more unstable mods like 2.1 launcher, and I wouldn't try OCing more than 700-800Mhz if for no other reason than longer battery life.
  15. unix.punkx

unix.punkx New Member

+1; DroidMod is all I will use. So easy to install now with Market App. Great dev team, even better ROM.
  16. dfwdroid

dfwdroid New Member

what i would do is try them all or at least the ones that are close to your requirement. We got plenty of resource here :)
    i tried quite a few of them and so far i am very very happy with Bugless Beast 0.7.6 OCed @ 1GHz. I also use it for work with intensive email usage so i can't afford reboots or FCs, if you know what mean....i needed something solid and i think i got it.
  17. eclsnowman

eclsnowman New Member

droidmod for now

So I have droidmod 1.0 running right now. To say it is noob friendly is an understatement. Tried setcpu at 1gz, temps seemed fine but hand random force closures. Reset droidmod after some google maps issues and now everything seems great. Will post more info later one I can get to a PC... this droid physical keyboard is killing me.