Advice about Buying and using Droid 2 Global?

TwoBuells

Reaction score
My Droid 2 Global is my main Phone, activated. I still have my Original Motorola Droid.
If I were you I’d buy a used Droid.
Keyboard is ok.
I’m running a custom ROM Simply Stunning 5.3 from Chevy01. It’s a GingerBread Rom, Android 2.3 overclocked to 1.2 ghz.
Battery life is better than my D2G.
My Droid @ 1.2ghz is as fast and smooth as my Rooted D2G
What do I use this phone for?
Well it’s a great MP3 player with Bluetooth Stereo Headset.
Camera is OK, all my favorite pictures stored
Email and Internet over Wifi
GPS only works over Wifi
Games, notepad, lots of apps
Quickoffice to view Docs and Spreadsheets
I have PDF Service/Parts Manuals for all of my Motorcycles, ATV and Jeep
Get a Droid, more custom Roms to play with……

CAP201104150123.jpg

CAP201104122212.jpg

kickyindahead

Reaction score
EDIT-2:
SGMD1 said:
SIM UNLOCK TUTORIAL

1. Make sure your phone line has been active and had no late payment history for at least six months. If it hasn't, VZW will not unlock your SIM.

2. Call VZW Global Support at 1-800-711-8300 and ask the representative for your phone's SIM unlock code.

3. To test it, you will need a non-VZW SIM. Once you insert it and power your D2 Global back on, it will ask for the unlock code.

NOTE: It appears that Verizon has put a carrier lock on the device for US GSM carriers. Therefore until someone figures out a workaround, you will not be able to use this device on AT&T or T-Mobile in its current state, even if SIM unlocked. The good news is that devs on various boards seem to be close to a workaround so as soon as one becomes available I will add it here.

just read this from the sticky because now I am close to making sure the phone if usable the way I want to use it, I am looking into unlocking it and such...
It says verizion locks the phones SIM out? Is that the sim card itself? so If I ever wanted to use the phones on AT&T, Verizion, T-Mobile, or any others when I do eventually want to activate it, I cant?
I am confused...rofl...lol
I'll keep looking but if anyone wants to help clairify this, thanks in advance... :)

See post 309-312 or so in the sticky you quote for a full explanation of this. Short answer, there is a $100 hack that will allow you to use it on AT&T, and it will never get 3G on T-Mobile (unless AT&T does buy T-Mobile and move their 3G to the AT&T frequency).

Also, you win the award for the highest usage of "lol". I read an article claiming that some people use it instead of, say, periods, but I hadn't seen such a good example until your posts!

I heard the same thing about "lol". and now i see your point .. i never noticed it before in peoples typing... but i second the nomination for for the award for the highest usage of "lol".

silver6054

Reaction score
I heard the same thing about "lol". and now i see your point .. i never noticed it before in peoples typing... but i second the nomination for for the award for the highest usage of "lol".
Very off-topic now, but I found the following amusing, from a comment on a BBC article about the inclusion of "LOL" in to the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary:
=======
"So what does LMAO mean ?"

Due to online emote inflation, it means you are actually laughing, so you get the cascade if you write LOL you mean it was mildly amusing (at best), if you write LMAO you did actually LOL, and if you ROFLMAO you were actually LMAO (if you were really ROFLMAO you wouldn't be typing).

OP
Z

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
LOL
When I put lol or LOL I'm actually laughing, how far is different for each person....lol :p

I don't mind some humor, I'm not trying to be serious here :p

I like the D2G because of the keyboard but now I'm starting to lean towards the Thunderbolt... It has way more ram, still overclock-able, has 2 great cammeras, but its missing the keyboard....rofl :/

I'd go for the bionic, but the CPU is always able to OC, the rams fixed, along with the camera... So I'm kind-ov' leaning away from this one...

idk, does this sound like a good though process?

silver6054

Reaction score
LOL
When I put lol or LOL I'm actually laughing, how far is different for each person....lol :p

I don't mind some humor, I'm not trying to be serious here :p

I like the D2G because of the keyboard but now I'm starting to lean towards the Thunderbolt... It has way more ram, still overclock-able, has 2 great cammeras, but its missing the keyboard....rofl :/

I'd go for the bionic, but the CPU is always able to OC, the rams fixed, along with the camera... So I'm kind-ov' leaning away from this one...

idk, does this sound like a good though process?
It's hard to know how important the keyboard is. I am one of those that insist on it, but I've seen lots of posts where people say "I never thought I would use a virtual keyboard but on the [insert phone of choice here] it's great and I don't miss a physical keyboard at all."

I saw above that you say the D2G has a great camera. It doesn't! Don't know how the thunderbolt compares.

Your other choices aren't global of course, and you did mention using it abroad, but that doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for you.

BTW: how are you planning to use it to make/receive calls/texts on wifi only? Which SIP provider, or do you have another way?

destin246

Reaction score
Jus get a regular d2 no need for global if u ain't gna use it..

Sent from my Gingerbread DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
Z

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
Ok,

I don't like to bring this up again, but I really can not make up my mind...

I found out that I can go with straight Talk and not verizon and spend WAY cheaper on a family plan with unlimited everything pretty much...
And they use a Sim Card...

But my problem is I can not find what frequencies the carrier & their phones use...
I do know they use Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile towers...

I was thinking, I can get the D2G if it supports their service and cards, I can get Straight talk family plan and use the Verizon towers version...

I've been looking and I'm having trouble finding out if the Straight talk plan and sim card will work on the verizon towers and with a D2G...?

I ask because their phones they list suck...lol
And they are no contract company with pay as you go and they support data, i forget if it is 3G or not, but thats ok...lol :)

Thanks everyone for helping me out, I will call them soon to try and find out more other than researching online, but I wanted other peoples input before I call, this way I know better how to word it and stuff.... :)

EDIT:
I'll use a D2 if I find out the D2G is compatable and exactly with what is if the D2 has the same compatability, but I forgot if the D2 has a sim card support ATM, I'm gona go lookey...lol :p

EDIT2:
I found the samsung T401G uses GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 Just like the D2G! :)
And this means the D2G will support the frequencies that the Straight Talk provider uses...!! :)
And most likley it will use the verizon towers which means great coverage! :)

Now All I gotta find is if the D2G will support the SIM Card for Straight Talk...?
With or without an unlock...?
**I understand the only way to find this out is to actually get a D2G and try it, but I'm hoping that someone already did this or knows...
I'll call the company later in the week when I have the time to make a long drawn out phone call....lol :p

silver6054

Reaction score
Ok,

I don't like to bring this up again, but I really can not make up my mind...

I found out that I can go with straight Talk and not verizon and spend WAY cheaper on a family plan with unlimited everything pretty much...
And they use a Sim Card...

But my problem is I can not find what frequencies the carrier & their phones use...
I do know they use Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile towers...

I was thinking, I can get the D2G if it supports their service and cards, I can get Straight talk family plan and use the Verizon towers version...

I've been looking and I'm having trouble finding out if the Straight talk plan and sim card will work on the verizon towers and with a D2G...?

I ask because their phones they list suck...lol
And they are no contract company with pay as you go and they support data, i forget if it is 3G or not, but thats ok...lol :)

Thanks everyone for helping me out, I will call them soon to try and find out more other than researching online, but I wanted other peoples input before I call, this way I know better how to word it and stuff.... :)

EDIT:
I'll use a D2 if I find out the D2G is compatable and exactly with what is if the D2 has the same compatability, but I forgot if the D2 has a sim card support ATM, I'm gona go lookey...lol :p

EDIT2:
I found the samsung T401G uses GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 Just like the D2G! :)
And this means the D2G will support the frequencies that the Straight Talk provider uses...!! :)
And most likley it will use the verizon towers which means great coverage! :)

Now All I gotta find is if the D2G will support the SIM Card for Straight Talk...?
With or without an unlock...?
**I understand the only way to find this out is to actually get a D2G and try it, but I'm hoping that someone already did this or knows...
I'll call the company later in the week when I have the time to make a long drawn out phone call....lol :p
Just note: if you are using GSM, on any frequency, you will NOT be using Verizon towers! Verizon is only CDMA (and LTE). So you can go with a pure GSM phone on StraightTalk (or the D2G if you prefer) but you will not be using the Verizon network.

The D2 (not G) has no SIM card, it is a CDMA-only phone. An unlocked D2G will take the straighttalk SIM

OP
Z

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
Sweet! You just helped me out! :)
Thankz

Now I don't have to worry about the sim card...lol :p

ok, Thankz for refreshing me on the networks, I must have forgot that Verizon is only CDMA

I did read that straight talk uses Verizon towers too... But their phones that do, Don't have a sim card...
So then I might be able to try for verizon without a SIM card and activate the D2G on Verizons network through the Straight Talk service... idk yet, I'm still looking into it...

But thank you for the part about the SIM card, I can get the service (even though it might be AT&T tower restricted...lol) and still save money!! :D

EDIT:
D2G = I like this phone...lol :p
**I had gotten it over the weekend**

I had not activated it on any network but now I know I can use straight talk, I would have just used Page Plus instead if the SIM didnt work cuz I read other people did that already...lol :p

EDIT-2:
I just realized, do you think Straight Talk will allow D2G and approve its ESN for use with their service on the Verizon tower...?
**I honestly do not see why not but want to get opinions just to see...
**My reason being because the D2G is a verizon phone, Smart Talk uses Verizon network, and the CDMA Freq. works with it...