advanced task manager

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
so i was reading a thread what apps you wont install i believe and everyone is against atm and atk and other task killers

why is this??

i have had my droid for a month and a half and i use systray monitor and atm to know and make sure im not using all my pones ram and wasting battery

i havent encountered any problems so far one person was saying home replacment FCs and atm was the problem i havent had any problems like that

can someone explain

M

Matth3w

The problem isn't the task killer app itself (provided it doesn't run in the background), it's the people using it. If you kill all of the apps currently running, it actually slows the phone down because you can't stop the phone from restarting services like Corporate Calendar, Settings, EMail, Messaging, GMail, etc etc. So you kill the apps but then you have to wait while they all get restarted by the system. Some won't auto restart, like the browser, maps, IM (if you are rooted), drocap2 (again if you are rooted), etc.

However, provided that you exclude all of those type apps, as well as widgets and anything else you need running at all times, using a task killer is perfectly ok.

I use it to kill anything that doesn't fall into that category in one fell swoop. That being said, most of my apps are excluded.

It's all in how you use the program to be honest. At least, that's my .02

OP
tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
The problem isn't the task killer app itself (provided it doesn't run in the background), it's the people using it. If you kill all of the apps currently running, it actually slows the phone down because you can't stop the phone from restarting services like Corporate Calendar, Settings, EMail, Messaging, GMail, etc etc. So you kill the apps but then you have to wait while they all get restarted by the system. Some won't auto restart, like the browser, maps, IM (if you are rooted), drocap2 (again if you are rooted), etc.

However, provided that you exclude all of those type apps, as well as widgets and anything else you need running at all times, using a task killer is perfectly ok.

I use it to kill anything that doesn't fall into that category in one fell swoop. That being said, most of my apps are excluded.

Ok I see well then atm is great to have cause if you go into the first tab of it it only has pretty much what's ok the kill if you exclude the widgets or is that wrong

M

Matth3w

You still need to exclude things that it restarts. Don't exclude anything, then kill all apps. Then don't do anything but keep the phone on and wait about one minute. Then start up the task manager and see what restarted on it's own. You have to exclude AT LEAST these apps.

I can tell you right now some of them off the top of my head that you have to exclude:

- Purecalendar
- Puremessenger
- Settings
- Gmail
- Email
- Corporate Calendar
- Alarm
- Apps organizer
- News and weather

And a bunch more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

OP
tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
Well I know a most of those aren't in my first tab but I have figured out which one restart and excluded them its the one in the allapps tab if you have the updated version of it that I wouldn't know what to exclude but I don't mess with those really if my phone gets way slow I just restart

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I know a most of those aren't in my first tab but I have figured out which one restart and excluded them its the one in the allapps tab if you have the updated version of it that I wouldn't know what to exclude but I don't mess with those really if my phone gets way slow I just restart

Bingo! I have ATM on my phone mainly for educational purposes. It provides a nice window into the functioning of the operating system. Otherwise, the power button is the best possible task killer.

M

Matth3w

I disagree with the power button being the best task killer. When I reboot my phone I get all kinds of programs loaded into memory that I never use, like IM, drocap2, BettrFlickr, etc.

EmmVeePee

Reaction score

If I power down my phone (which I rarely do), and I power it back up, I always do a initial wipe. This clears out "auto-start" programs that I don't use, and saves battery tremendously. I forgot to do it once after a boot-up and I thought my battery went bad.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the power button being the best task killer. When I reboot my phone I get all kinds of programs loaded into memory that I never use, like IM, drocap2, BettrFlickr, etc.

So do I, Matt. But they don't do any harm. They just sit there unless I use them. I just try to resist my mother's voice screaming in my head to CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM!

bL33d

Reaction score
i use atk pro along with autostarts and uninstalled certain system apps i dont use and it really helps my phone purr right along. :icon_ banana: