Adv. Task Killer

PatrickJ

Reaction score
Every time I open this app. up I'm amazed @ the apps running. Some of the apps have no business running so I'm wondering how they get turned on in the 1st place? Is it because they're looking for updates or something??

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Well,

a search on the forums would have brought you to this:
You dont NEED a Task manager. Apps not used are "layed to sleep" by android.
so they dont use up memory and can be brought up faster. you slow your system down by closing apps, that the system restarts anyways.

Just my 2 Cents!

myriad46

Reaction score
RinTin: I agree with the reading before you post, philosophy, and I have also read those threads. I also still have a task killer, for when I need to force close apps.

However, in regards to PatrickJ's comment, the curiosity that I experience, is apps I have never used get started up. I would understand if it opened the apps that I used regularly, trying to make thigns runs smoother for me. An example would be Corporate Email. I have never opened it, have never set it up, yet on a fresh restart...there it is, running in the background.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes this is true. I've had a few app managers and always began to notice problems from my phone after a couple days of use. Its better to just not worry about them running and allow Android to do its job....and it does a good job

KevinJ

Reaction score
The dude at the Verizon store put this app on my phone without my knowledge, and said I needed it. When I told him it wasn't needed, he argued with me.

When I open it, it does list the apps that can be shut down. However - and I am asking because I do not know - are those apps really running, or just listed with checkmarks that ATK can kill them if necessary.

Like myriad46 said, there are things in there that I have never used, but they are listed in ATK.

Again, perhaps it is just a list of the apps that are available to be "killed."?

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Well, let me give you something to think.

Imagine you got Windows NEW to your PC. And then you just found out how to use a task-manager. Then you navigate there and kill some apps. Might be a good idea, if the system is not doing its work....but if it does, might be a bad idea...

Know what i mean?

tigger

Istus

Reaction score
I used to force close all of my apps before I read the notices here. I've stop doing that and seen little to no difference in performance (good or bad). I keep Advanced Application Manager as a backup to kill anything I need and also for the uninstall gui.

myriad46

Reaction score
The apps listed in ATK are "open" to an extent. Let's use an analogy...

Lets say you're sitting at your desk and you are working on several projects at the same time. You take the projects folder out of your file cabinet and open it on your desk. If you are writing an email, and need to reference one of your projects, you need only look at the open folder sitting on your desk, rather than having to walk over to the file cabinet, retrieve the folder and open it. Thus, saving you time. At some point, your desktop will fill up. So, in order to open an additional project folder, you would need to close and remove one that is already there, to make room.

Android works like this. The applications in the ATK list are like those projects that are laying open on your desk and the space on your desktop is your phone's RAM. It can keep several programs, "ready to go," in case you need them without affecting performance on your phone. And...if it needs the room, it will select a program to close so that everything runs smooth.

Make sense?

There is usually nothing wrong with letting ATK close programs, but in some cases, ti will not allow the programs to run like they should. Most programs that have tasks to do based on a schedule you set, will tell you to exclude them from the "kill" list in apps such as ATK. It's trial and error for some.

Scribble

Reaction score
But I think the question still remains, how or why do they open in the first place?

For instance I've never used corporate calendar, I've never set it up, I don't have any settings in it telling it to check for updates etc... Yet when I look at ATK it shows me that corporate calendar is running.

Why?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
But I think the question still remains, how or why do they open in the first place?

For instance I've never used corporate calendar, I've never set it up, I don't have any settings in it telling it to check for updates etc... Yet when I look at ATK it shows me that corporate calendar is running.

Why?
There is no definitive answer on that. Nobody seems to know or have that answer and I've looked high and low for it since it's been asked by many many people.

Istus

Reaction score
I've read that while android may not be using the app for its intended purpose, it may be using code embedded into that app. For instance, many applications use clocks, timers etc. Therefore instead of writing new code to find the time, they "borrow" the code from the built in clock and/or alarm clock.

I can't verify this, but it is something I've read that would explain behavior like that.

OP
PatrickJ

PatrickJ

Reaction score
I've read that while android may not be using the app for its intended purpose, it may be using code embedded into that app. For instance, many applications use clocks, timers etc. Therefore instead of writing new code to find the time, they "borrow" the code from the built in clock and/or alarm clock.

I can't verify this, but it is something I've read that would explain behavior like that.

All the posts make sense now...thanks a bunch!!