adroid sdk and adb?

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
ok so i have a moto droid 1 and ive rooted it and flashed some roms and kernels and installed a new boot logo and all that jive. and ive helped my buddies at work root and flash some roms and kernels on their evo 4g's.
so i want to start learning about adb now. i figure thats my next step in the evolution of my droid fix.
so here is my delima. im reading and working off this guide
https://sites.google.com/site/teamdroidconcepts/experimental/compile/step-1
so i dwnloaded the sdk file and put it in the dwnloads folder. well i get to the next step and i open a terminal (im working on an HP laptop running windows vista). so like i said i open a terminal on my laptop and type cd~ as the guide says and when i hit enter it tells me this command isnt recognized. so how do i proceed? do i hook my droid to my computer and open the terminal on that then type all the comands thru that until i get sdk running on my laptop? i understand that i sound like a noob but im trying to learn. im like wtf its suppose to be a guide and i read the whole thing before i try anything and i get stuck at step two because it doesnt tell me what terminal to use or if i should have my phone hooked up. maybe im not geeky enough? i mean this dope smokin burnout at work is using it to customize his roms so im like if he can do it i know i can. and damm if i get stuck on step two! and yes i am a man and i cant ask him for help. well not at this point that is. its a pride thing.

any help would be appreciated
thank you
bob

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Actually what (according to the link you posted) you want to learn about is compiling your own roms which is WAY higher up the food chain that just using "adroid sdk and adb" which is the title of this thread. While adb (Android Debug Bridge) can be used on Windows, Linux, and Mac, this is the reason that you cannot do any of the terminal commands:

From there download the newest and latest Android SDK for Linux based OS's

Which, since you are running Windows Vista neither the file nor the terminal commands will work for you.

So, if you just want to use adb on your windows machine that's easy enough to do, just go to the
Android SDK | Android Developers link and get the one for Windows. If you really want to try to compile your own roms, FIRST you will have to get a dual boot (Windows/Ubuntu) going on on your HP laptop.

And BTW there are better rom compiling guides.

good luck

Last edited:
OP
M

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. and after reading what you say it makes sense but also what you say is actualy what i want to do. i down loaded the latest version of sdk for windows. and when i try to open it the terminal opens then closes realy fast. it says (android adk manager-error, failed to execute tools\android.bat:the system cannot find the file specified.). so actualy i just wanted to learn how to use sdk and adb. maybe use it to change some things on my phone? like the battery symbal or the fontS?? i was under the understanding that swhat i needed to do things like that?

bob

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well from what I'm reading from this last reply of yours, you've got quite a bit of reading to do. The guide you linked talks about how to compile your own rom from the AOSP source, but that can only be done on a linux box. What else you describe that you want to do is 'theme' your phone which is different from compiling a rom.

Also, it sounds like you're trying to use adb incorrectly, for one, which exact file in the android adk are you trying to 'open'? And exactly how? The only way I know of to use adb on a windows computer is to actually open a command prompt your self and then navigate to the tools directory, etc. That error you are getting leads me to believe you need to learn how to use adb on a windows computer.

I would like to help, but I think you could be better helped by doing some more research of your own, as I really doubt I could properly address everything you're touching on here. Plus it would take quite a while and the info is already here at this site.

For theming, start in the theming area of this site, there's a ton of theme's already done that will change your battery icon and fonts easily. And then there's probably quite a few guides written by the various themers there as well. For rom compiling, again, you need to be running linux and shadowrom.com and cyanogenmod.com and a few others have good guides for that there.

good luck

OP
M

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
thanks thats what i figured i needed to do. honestly i just want to learn how it works thats all change something maybe? ive read so much on here. its kinda crazy for the amount of information that is on this site. thanks for the input and the advice.

bob

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yeah, just be patient. I've been reading and learning for over a year now on various forums to know what little I do know. It can be very confusing at times, because there are some who post just to post whether the answer is right or not, but I've also learned alot by reading others mistakes as well.

good luck