Adobe Flash 10.1 showing up in market w/frg01b - BUT.. (very weird)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, as most of us know currently the Adobe Flash 10.1 apk that is out is the Nexus One version, and thus does not show up in the Android marketplace on our Droids running the official frg01b OS.

HOWEVER, Cyanogenmod 6.0.0-rc3 DOES show Flash 10.1 in the market, because due to legal issues they cannot package the Google Apps with the ROM; and instead choose to bundle the N1 version of the Google Apps as a seperate download.

Therefore, Flash 10.1 shows up since the Marketplace apk is the one for the N1. (Unlike some market problems which are caused by the build fingerprint in build.prop; this particular 'issue' has a different root cause. In fact it's not a true 'issue', it's by design)

So, to get to my point. I was running CM6.0.0-r3 for awhile last night, and had downloaded Flash 10.1 from the market. This morning, I decided to go back to my rooted "offical" frg01b ROM. Once it booted back up, something weird happened. It auto-downloaded the Flash 10.1 app from the market. From that point on, it was searchable in the marketplace and shows as "Installed" under downloads. Apparently, my having downloaded it prior with CM6 tricked it into downloading through frg01b's marketplace app. That is the only way I can explain this.

I am not providing pics, this is on purpose. If I take a screenshot of Flash 10.1 showing up in my marketplace, I have absolutely no way to PROVE it was taken on frg01b, the marketplace looks the same on all 2.2 ROMs and the pic would be meaningless. However, take my word for it, this did indeed happen to me. Just thought it was a bit interesting.

And before anyone suggests it, installing the Google Apps package from Cyanogenmod WILL make Flash appear in the market. But it will also seriously hinder the stability of your OS. They may work well on CM6, but they are mostly incompatible with the official frg01b. Gmail app won't even load, force closes as soon as you hit the icon.

For anyone who wishes to install it on their Droid without having to go through all of that, i've pulled it from my droid and attached it to this post. Please rename it from pkg.zip to flash10.apk - I had to change it to a .zip file due to attachment size and extension restrictions, and pkg is what Astro file manager decided to name it.

Be assured, it IS the official Flash 10.1 though.

Dragoro

Reaction score
How do you rename to an apk? When I choose rename it just highlights pkg not the .zip?

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hit ctrl-a to select all, and type flash10.apk

Then, copy it to your sdcard and use a file explorer to install it.

Windows always assumes you want to change the filename, and not the extension.

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
sorry, just realized ctrl+a isn't select all when renaming a file.

right click on the file, select rename.

use arrow keys to go to end of entire filename and erase everything.

type 'flash10.apk'

hit <enter>

brochaos

Reaction score
i had the same thing happen to me in the past. can't remember which rom caused it, maybe an older sapphire? either way, my market link is gone again since i've wiped and restored with titanium...

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I assumed the link would disappear if I did any sort of wipe. It seems like the only way to force it to install on frg01b FROM THE MARKET is to swap back to frg01b RIGHT AFTER installing Flash on the other ROM that makes it show up. If the autoredownload routine doesn't snag it, it won't show up. But once it does, you're good to go (seemingly) until a wipe.

brochaos

Reaction score
yeah, thats what it was, i believe i put frg01 on top of sapphire 084 or something (no wipe in between), and then it was showing up in the market and in my downloads.

Dragoro

Reaction score
sorry, just realized ctrl+a isn't select all when renaming a file.

right click on the file, select rename.

use arrow keys to go to end of entire filename and erase everything.

type 'flash10.apk'

hit <enter>

That just changes it to flash.apk.zip

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn, I forgot about the fact that Windows defaults to hiding extensions. You have to disable the "hide extensions for known filetypes" option..... or, just put the file on your sdcard and rename it from a file manager such as Astro - it might be easier that way.

srroos

Reaction score
is this the same as the manual one floating around?{flash player}

Just checked myself and found the same as the first poster. It is 10.1.92.8 just like I had already manually installed.

I am uninstalling the manual version and installing the market version and hopefully I should get normal updates. We'll see...

joefyre03

Reaction score
when i click on to it in astro,file manager doesnt come up like the other adobe i installed..am i missing something,i renamed and everything

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not really sure, joefyre03. To test it, I just clicked on it, when it asked me what to open it with I chose "Package Manager" and it installed like any other app.