Adobe CEO 'Reconciles' With Apple; Can't Answer Why Poor Flash Support on Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
adobe-ceo-interview.jpg

A recent interview with Adobe CEO, Shantanu Narayen, seems to indicate that the Apple vs. Adobe mud-slinging war over Flash has reached a "Non-Aggression Pact". The two companies have "reconciled" to a certain degree over their differences in design philosophy. Basically, Narayen conceded that their open-ended approach with Adobe Flash is different than, and mostly incompatible with, Apple's tight controls on software apps. He also added that Adobe is looking forward to "actively contributing" to the ongoing development of HTML5.

The interview really gets interesting when moderator Walt Mossberg, puts Narayen on the spot about the fact that Flash runs so poorly on the Android OS. Here's a quote from the Engadget article,
Mossberg, meanwhile, seemed to blindside Narayen when he brought up Flash's poor performance on Android devices. "I have yet to test a single one where Flash tests really well," the columnist claimed. "I'm sorry, but it's true." Narayen sputtered a bit, before pointing to the BlackBerry PlayBook as an example of the progress that Flash has made. When Mossberg reminded him that the PlayBook doesn't run on Android, the CEO not-so-subtly sidestepped the question by emptily declaring that Adobe's mission is simply to provide people with the best tools to create content.
I guess some CEO's are also decent politicians, as that was a perfect way to dance around the topic and leave it with a true "non-answer." Also, do you get the feeling that Mr. Narayen, doesn't really know his company's products very well?

To see the video, you will need to click on the story's source link at Engadget below and watch it from there. Unfortunately, it is in Flash, and for security reasons we can't embed it in our story here on the website... :rofl3:

Source: Android.net via Engadget

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score
This is why Apple doesn't have flash.... Even Adobe is going to HTML5....

Apple was ahead of the curve on this one.... Oh wait, no they weren't, Google was just behind it somehow. I mean isn't Google one of the main partners in HTML5? Why did they insist on putting flash on Android????? I'd rather have great HTML5 support (Like Apple does on Youtube) than this painfully terrible implementation of Flash.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah flash sucks on android, what a laggy mess. i never understood why people swear it runs well, when it clearly doesn't...

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
well i see it this way

1 is i have run flash and even on the droid i didnt think it was that horrible and on the g2x it also seems to run ok. is it as good as on windows no. but its there. i would rather have the ability that maybe isnt so good than not at all.
and if it was html 5 or flash than thats a decent argument but both can be there so as i said i would rather have a non complete implemenatation than none.

and for those that have run flash on ubuntu(or linux/unix varient) i would suspect. know that it runs worse and crashes more on that than on android.
so when html5 takes off than we can uninstall flash but at the moment thee is a lot we can do and see that those without flash cant. and we can still use html 5 as it will be implemented also.

and yeah it does seem that many of the execs for companies that are out speaking about the company really have no idea what there products are in any technical way. i think they have cue cards. flash-video, pdf-documents, ok im ready for the interview :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
1 is i have run flash and even on the droid i didnt think it was that horrible and on the g2x it also seems to run ok. is it as good as on windows no. but its there. i would rather have the ability that maybe isnt so good than not at all.
and if it was html 5 or flash than thats a decent argument but both can be there so as i said i would rather have a non complete implemenatation than none.

and for those that have run flash on ubuntu(or linux/unix varient) i would suspect. know that it runs worse and crashes more on that than on android.
so when html5 takes off than we can uninstall flash but at the moment thee is a lot we can do and see that those without flash cant. and we can still use html 5 as it will be implemented also.

and yeah it does seem that many of the execs for companies that are out speaking about the company really have no idea what there products are in any technical way. i think they have cue cards. flash-video, pdf-documents, ok im ready for the interview :)

yeah its definitely good for bragging rights, but i haven't had one good experience with flash on android.

i run linux exclusively, and dont have issues with flash ever, and it runs without issue always...its not even that the android version crashes, its just the lag that i cant stand.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
really

yeah its definitely good for bragging rights, but i haven't had one good experience with flash on android.

i run linux exclusively, and dont have issues with flash ever, and it runs without issue always...its not even that the android version crashes, its just the lag that i cant stand.

2 things one is your the first i have heard not have problems on linux with flash. which varient are you running.
2nd is according to your stats it says ud and gingerbread. on droid 1.
try gopiong back to froyo on the droid 1 and see if flashes latest version doesnt run better.
i cant say i ran any flash on gingerbread since the phone didnt work worth a darn on gb at all. on froyo i really never had a big problem with it other than the droid just being a slow low memory device. but i watched tons of video in flash on the droid. just have to make sure to not overclock over 800 while watching flash or the phone overheats and than flash really does get bogging.
i just think its more the phone and gingerbread.
flash on the g2x runs flawless. so while i will have the ability to run html5 i can run flash now. and while html5 may take over in the long run it surely isnt now. so i am happy to have the option.
but since the guy politically ran around the answer just shows that there must be known problem that they dont want to admit to.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

2 things one is your the first i have heard not have problems on linux with flash. which varient are you running.
try gopiong back to froyo on the droid 1 and see if flashes latest version doesnt run better.
i cant say i ran any flash on gingerbread since the phone didnt work worth a darn on gb at all. on froyo i really never had a big problem with it other than the droid just being a slow low memory device. but i watched tons of video in flash on the droid. just have to make sure to not overclock over 800 while watching flash or the phone overheats and than flash really does get bogging.
flash on the g2x runs flawless. so while i will have the ability to run html5 i can run flash now. and while html5 may take over in the long run it surely isnt now. so i am happy to have the option.
but since the guy politically ran around the answer just shows that there must be known problem that they dont want to admit to.

i'm running ubuntu 11.04 currently, but i've used many versions and distros and haven't experienced problems with flash, and definitely not as many issues as on android

about the phone thing, i'm actually on froyo now...i just don't update that stuff. i flash a new ROM all the time, and have used (tried?) to use flash on all, and they lag always.

again, i much prefer to have it then not have it, but its not something i would write home about or brag about.

i haven't tried it on the newer devices (by newer I mean charge, revolution, thunderbolt), but i've used it on every other verizon android device and don't really see much improvement (of course someone might tell me to remove my widgets, turn off my wifi, gps and bluetooth and only use my phone at certain hours of the day to remedy this haha).... and as you mentioned, the skirting around the issue by the CEO indicates they're aware of the issues...

UNC

Reaction score

i'm running ubuntu 11.04 currently, but i've used many versions and distros and haven't experienced problems with flash, and definitely not as many issues as on android

about the phone thing, i'm actually on froyo now...i just don't update that stuff. i flash a new ROM all the time, and have used (tried?) to use flash on all, and they lag always.

again, i much prefer to have it then not have it, but its not something i would write home about or brag about.

i haven't tried it on the newer devices (by newer I mean charge, revolution, thunderbolt), but i've used it on every other verizon android device and don't really see much improvement (of course someone might tell me to remove my widgets, turn off my wifi, gps and bluetooth and only use my phone at certain hours of the day to remedy this haha).... and as you mentioned, the skirting around the issue by the CEO indicates they're aware of the issues...

I played with my buddies G2x and the flash was still sub-par. For example, I went to watch an episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" on Fox.com, the audio streamed perfect, the video was super choppy, like 5fps choppy.. That was on the Dual-core G2x!!!! Also, when you attach a bluetooth device it seems like Flash gets REALLY choppy.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
2 different things

I played with my buddies G2x and the flash was still sub-par. For example, I went to watch an episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" on Fox.com, the audio streamed perfect, the video was super choppy, like 5fps choppy.. That was on the Dual-core G2x!!!! Also, when you attach a bluetooth device it seems like Flash gets REALLY choppy.

the bluetooth is having problems on the g2x in general so that may be hurting the data rates causing that.
some of the g2x's have piss poor data connections in general.
i have been able to run flash on both the droid and the g2x that is acceptable to me. so it just each persons experience is different or different progrms installed interact differeently???
i jsut read how motorola is making motoblur fix all this for you since all the returned phones are due to market applications(per moto's ceo) this is the nice term of we are gonna lock it down even more.
:)

UNC

Reaction score

the bluetooth is having problems on the g2x in general so that may be hurting the data rates causing that.
i have been able to run flash on both the droid and the g2x that is acceptable to me. so it just each persons experience is different or different progrms installed interact differeently???
i jsut read how motorola is making motoblur fix all this for you since all the returned phones are due to market applications(per moto's ceo) this is the nice term of we are gonna lock it down even more.

I was using it over WiFi, but I didn't know about the BT problems on the phone. I tried with and without my headset, and it was a little better without.

It's a really fast phone though, so if it has problems with Flash that doesn't bode well for lesser devices. (basically every thing else right now)

The reason it sucks is because there is an alternative available!!! HTML5 has brought YouTube to iOS, and a better YouTube than ours at that!!!! (Doesn't google own YouTube......)

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
also

I was using it over WiFi, but I didn't know about the BT problems on the phone. I tried with and without my headset, and it was a little better without.

It's a really fast phone though, so if it has problems with Flash that doesn't bode well for lesser devices. (basically every thing else right now)

The reason it sucks is because there is an alternative available!!! HTML5 has brought YouTube to iOS, and a better YouTube than ours at that!!!! (Doesn't google own YouTube......)

could be that flash isnt optimized for the tegra 2 yet so that could help.
well in regards to google. they are not owners of flash so dont think its a big consipracy there i just think that html5 is not really ready for prime time but i would expect that it will be in icecream sandwich. html 5 was definatley not ready for prime time in decemeber when gingerbread was released. so im sure its coming apple had to spend more time with it im sure since they had no alternative.
well just have to wait and see.

UNC

Reaction score

could be that flash isnt optimized for the tegra 2 yet so that could help.
well in regards to google. they are not owners of flash so dont think its a big consipracy there i just think that html5 is not really ready for prime time but i would expect that it will be in icecream sandwich. html 5 was definatley not ready for prime time in decemeber when gingerbread was released. so im sure its coming apple had to spend more time with it im sure since they had no alternative.
well just have to wait and see.

I think Flash 10.3 is optimized for dual-core...

Oh well, I don't need flash anyway... Anyone who based their smartphone purchase on the presence of flash was doing it wrong anyway!!!