Adobe CEO 'Reconciles' With Apple; Can't Answer Why Poor Flash Support on Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 3, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

A recent interview with Adobe CEO, Shantanu Narayen, seems to indicate that the Apple vs. Adobe mud-slinging war over Flash has reached a "Non-Aggression Pact". The two companies have "reconciled" to a certain degree over their differences in design philosophy. Basically, Narayen conceded that their open-ended approach with Adobe Flash is different than, and mostly incompatible with, Apple's tight controls on software apps. He also added that Adobe is looking forward to "actively contributing" to the ongoing development of HTML5.

The interview really gets interesting when moderator Walt Mossberg, puts Narayen on the spot about the fact that Flash runs so poorly on the Android OS. Here's a quote from the Engadget article,
    I guess some CEO's are also decent politicians, as that was a perfect way to dance around the topic and leave it with a true "non-answer." Also, do you get the feeling that Mr. Narayen, doesn't really know his company's products very well?

To see the video, you will need to click on the story's source link at Engadget below and watch it from there. Unfortunately, it is in Flash, and for security reasons we can't embed it in our story here on the website... :rofl3:

Source: Android.net via Engadget
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. UNC

UNC New Member

This is why Apple doesn't have flash.... Even Adobe is going to HTML5....

Apple was ahead of the curve on this one.... Oh wait, no they weren't, Google was just behind it somehow. I mean isn't Google one of the main partners in HTML5? Why did they insist on putting flash on Android????? I'd rather have great HTML5 support (Like Apple does on Youtube) than this painfully terrible implementation of Flash.
  3. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

yeah flash sucks on android, what a laggy mess. i never understood why people swear it runs well, when it clearly doesn't...
  4. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

well i see it this way

1 is i have run flash and even on the droid i didnt think it was that horrible and on the g2x it also seems to run ok. is it as good as on windows no. but its there. i would rather have the ability that maybe isnt so good than not at all.
    and if it was html 5 or flash than thats a decent argument but both can be there so as i said i would rather have a non complete implemenatation than none.

and for those that have run flash on ubuntu(or linux/unix varient) i would suspect. know that it runs worse and crashes more on that than on android.
    so when html5 takes off than we can uninstall flash but at the moment thee is a lot we can do and see that those without flash cant. and we can still use html 5 as it will be implemented also.

and yeah it does seem that many of the execs for companies that are out speaking about the company really have no idea what there products are in any technical way. i think they have cue cards. flash-video, pdf-documents, ok im ready for the interview :)
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

yeah its definitely good for bragging rights, but i haven't had one good experience with flash on android.

i run linux exclusively, and dont have issues with flash ever, and it runs without issue always...its not even that the android version crashes, its just the lag that i cant stand.
  6. eagle1967

really

2 things one is your the first i have heard not have problems on linux with flash. which varient are you running.
    2nd is according to your stats it says ud and gingerbread. on droid 1.
    try gopiong back to froyo on the droid 1 and see if flashes latest version doesnt run better.
    i cant say i ran any flash on gingerbread since the phone didnt work worth a darn on gb at all. on froyo i really never had a big problem with it other than the droid just being a slow low memory device. but i watched tons of video in flash on the droid. just have to make sure to not overclock over 800 while watching flash or the phone overheats and than flash really does get bogging.
    i just think its more the phone and gingerbread.
    flash on the g2x runs flawless. so while i will have the ability to run html5 i can run flash now. and while html5 may take over in the long run it surely isnt now. so i am happy to have the option.
    but since the guy politically ran around the answer just shows that there must be known problem that they dont want to admit to.
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

i'm running ubuntu 11.04 currently, but i've used many versions and distros and haven't experienced problems with flash, and definitely not as many issues as on android

about the phone thing, i'm actually on froyo now...i just don't update that stuff. i flash a new ROM all the time, and have used (tried?) to use flash on all, and they lag always.

again, i much prefer to have it then not have it, but its not something i would write home about or brag about.

i haven't tried it on the newer devices (by newer I mean charge, revolution, thunderbolt), but i've used it on every other verizon android device and don't really see much improvement (of course someone might tell me to remove my widgets, turn off my wifi, gps and bluetooth and only use my phone at certain hours of the day to remedy this haha).... and as you mentioned, the skirting around the issue by the CEO indicates they're aware of the issues...
  8. UNC

UNC New Member

I played with my buddies G2x and the flash was still sub-par. For example, I went to watch an episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" on Fox.com, the audio streamed perfect, the video was super choppy, like 5fps choppy.. That was on the Dual-core G2x!!!! Also, when you attach a bluetooth device it seems like Flash gets REALLY choppy.
  9. eagle1967

i know what it is

how are you holding your phone when watching flash.
    Your probably holding it wrong :)
  10. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

lol...you know this could very well be it! dancedroid
  11. UNC

UNC New Member

HAHA!!!!! Probably so, I tried the bumper off my vPhone but it didn't quite fit on the G2x.
  12. eagle1967

2 different things

the bluetooth is having problems on the g2x in general so that may be hurting the data rates causing that.
    some of the g2x's have piss poor data connections in general.
    i have been able to run flash on both the droid and the g2x that is acceptable to me. so it just each persons experience is different or different progrms installed interact differeently???
    i jsut read how motorola is making motoblur fix all this for you since all the returned phones are due to market applications(per moto's ceo) this is the nice term of we are gonna lock it down even more.
    :)
  13. UNC

UNC New Member

I was using it over WiFi, but I didn't know about the BT problems on the phone. I tried with and without my headset, and it was a little better without.

It's a really fast phone though, so if it has problems with Flash that doesn't bode well for lesser devices. (basically every thing else right now)

The reason it sucks is because there is an alternative available!!! HTML5 has brought YouTube to iOS, and a better YouTube than ours at that!!!! (Doesn't google own YouTube......)
  14. eagle1967

also

could be that flash isnt optimized for the tegra 2 yet so that could help.
    well in regards to google. they are not owners of flash so dont think its a big consipracy there i just think that html5 is not really ready for prime time but i would expect that it will be in icecream sandwich. html 5 was definatley not ready for prime time in decemeber when gingerbread was released. so im sure its coming apple had to spend more time with it im sure since they had no alternative.
    well just have to wait and see.
  15. UNC

UNC New Member

I think Flash 10.3 is optimized for dual-core...

Oh well, I don't need flash anyway... Anyone who based their smartphone purchase on the presence of flash was doing it wrong anyway!!!
  16. JerseyFirefighter

JerseyFirefighter New Member

Because html5 was in development and in its infancy whereas flash was/is everywhere. That is why flash was such a no brainer to try to incorporate into android. Yea it may not work the best, but at least the option was out there. Apple didnt give the chance and instead said html5 is the future...well it is.. but I have no regrets being able to access flash on my droid for the past year so please quit hatin.
  17. eagle1967

hes not hating

he has to try to justify owning an iphone somehow :)
    i wish i had an iphone.
    i need something about that thickness to hold up the corner of this table.
  18. UNC

UNC New Member

I don't need to justify anything.

Even the CEO of Adobe admits (tangentially) that Android's flash integration is not up-to-snub... The people saying that it runs perfectly are the ones trying to justify something, just like the people that say their Thunderbolt's battery lasts "20+ hours" or the iPhans that say "I didn't have the Death Grip".

Unlike many people here, I am not bound to any one corporation, and I do not make up things to make my device of choice look better. I call it how I see it, and if you don't like it. Well!
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Lol...another classic is "ive never experienced any lag ever on android" or iphans saying "we have sixty five trillion apps!!"

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. eagle1967

man

if you really took offense than there may really be a problem :)
    he probably wasnt trying to cover it up he probably really has no idea hes a face, probably has no idea whats going on :)
    man were joking about the iphone we really could care less. i would never buy an apple product even if they put android or something better on it. when a top exec covers up a faulty release product, attempts to sell you a 30 dollar product they made soley to fix their known issue than tell you you are hollding it wrong. is a company that wont see my money period.

the original purchase of the droid was not even an android ios or apple issue. it was a att continued to have poorer and poorer service for me and the droid was the best thing verizon had at the time.
    it was the iphone 4 release(after i was on android) that caused me to put apple on my never buy list nothing to do with android or ios it is simpley the companies attitude. same with motorola. you dont like it shop elswhere and i did and will , did this have to do with not locking bootloaders it did on the front of phones now. if motorola does indeed unlock in the future it doesnt matter i wont own another motorola product simpley because of the attitude they showed toward their customers. stating we sorry but this is what we think is besxzt for us is fine. telling your customers if you dont like it than go elsewhere shows the attitude of the company toward their customers, without customers you have no business and it seems most companies have forgotten this. and no i dont think i will change their attitudes but i feel better about it and thats all that matters. if you are happy with the iphone than thats cool. but i over all have had no problems watching flash on my phones. and it has nothing to do with justifying or lying if it didnt work id be the first one *****ing as i was when it ws promised and verizon continued to delay froo release(which is what got me into this whole damn custom rom thing ) in the first place damn you verizon :)
    Htc is really the first company i have seen that openly came out and admitted the problems, which is a big step in the right direction.
    ok now i have to go to my aunts and figure out what the ota did to her droid x. apparetnly it killed it. but im hoping its just user error since i really dont know alot about the droid x :)