Adding wallpapers to phone?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by budmonster, Mar 26, 2010.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you add wallpapers to your phone, so they show up when you press "menu" then "wallpaper"? I don't want to have all these wallpapers on my sdcard.

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    How else would you do it unless they're stored on your sdcard?

3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Pull the Launcher or whatever home replacement you are using. /system/app/Launcher.apk is the default one, but different launchers and home replacements usually come with their own wallpapers. And put them where they belong in there. /res/drawable-hdpi/ I would assume is the location in there, it will be in one of the /res/drawable* folders though.

4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    once you click wallpapers doesnt it let you pick from some choices?

i have a rom on mine but im pretty sure gallery is a stock option and selecting that you can pick from the photos on your phone

5. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    yes i have current stock wallpapers, but i want to add more wallpapers...

6. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    im using helixlauncher1.3b

7. cupfulloflol

Ratings:
    +23
    I have never actually added more wallpapers to a launcher, only modified or deleted. The system and data partitions of the phone have much less space than my sdcard. Not only that, they don't bother me in my sdcard, so there is no point in putting them on my phone. ROM makers definitely do it, so it is definitely possible. Looks like all they do is add make a small version and change the name. So take a random picture name it wallpaper_motoroladroid.jpg and then make a small version wallpaper_motoroladroid_small.jpg (170 x 142 from the few I looked at).

I assume when you pull up your wallpaper menu it looks something like this? Multiple options if you have multiple launchers + gallery and LWP. I have 3 launchers installed currently, which is why I have 3 in that picture. Helix, launcher, and launcher2 .

[​IMG]

Pick one of the Launchers to plop them into. helixlauncher should be installed in data/app/ , unless you or someone else put it somewhere else. Same strategy as above though. I don't have the donators version, I am using the market version, mine is /data/app/com.helixproject.launcher.apk but it could be different with yours.

Helix's wallpaper should be in /res/drawable-hdpi/ , just the leaves picture comes with this launcher. I am not sure if you are required to make a "_small" version of it or not. I would assume the _small is for the preview in the wallpaper menu, could be wrong about this though. Personally I would make a _small one if I were going to go through with this. When you get into the place where the wallpapers are you will see what I am referring to with the _small files.

So in recap:
    - Pick a launcher to modify.
    - Pull the launcher.
    - Make _small versions and rename them with "wallpaper_" prior to their name (no spaces).
    - Put them in the correct spot in the launchers .apk, probably /res/drawable-hdpi/
    - Push the modified .apk back to the /system/app/ folder.

8. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, i appreciate it. Could tell me the ADB commands for doing this?

9. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone else help me on this?

10. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Create a folder on your sdcard and place the wallpapers in it.
    It's that simple...I have over 500 wallpapers on mine.

Why would you want to waste phone memory by placing them on the phone and not the sdcard.

11. cupfulloflol

Ratings:
    +23
    Well for testing purposes I tried to metamorph a wallpaper before giving you instructions on how to do it. And I couldn't get it to work. This picture definitely works and is modified correctly, as I ripped it out of Launcher.apk that is on my phone (and the wallpaper is in it's gallery). So I made a MM theme, to push the .jpg files to the correct spots. No joy, they won't show up in the list.

I assume there is something simple I am missing, but I am not sure what that could be. Maybe some other file needs to be modified, like one of the .xml files.

Search tags for this page
add wallpaper to phone

adding wallpaper to android phone

how do you add wallpaper pages to droid razr phone
how to add a wallpaper to phone

how to add more wallpaper on a phone

how to add wallpaper for droid dna
how to add wallpaper to android phone from computer
wall paper of ibanez as-103 for droid ultra