adding quoted text to a sentence. what gives?

dep

Reaction score
Perhaps the most frustrating experience
With my droid pro is putting quotes around
Something. If you are typing then press
The space bar, then the quote character,
it removes the space and adds the quote
to the previous word. I have to insert the cursor
and manually re-add the space. Pretty
frustrating!

OP
dep

dep

Reaction score
a workaround is to always use single quotes instead
Of double quotes. odd that the behavior doesn't
Happen with apostrophes.

pilotrose

Reaction score
Yeah I share your frustration. I wonder why they elected to do this... Maybe it's an error...

jwgraves

Reaction score
there are lots of special characters the droid does this to - the dollar sign being the one that drives me the most crazy. I have no idea why the droid developers came up with this idea, I hate it.

ravenhawk

Reaction score
Both the quotes and dollar sign have been really bugging me with this too. Why? What was the thought process here?

DroidToro

Reaction score
Chalk it up as one more reason why rooting and cooking ROMs is important work. I guarantee you that moto will not fix this. I hope we get a good, usable ROM soon.

Sent from my DROID PRO

StingRay

Reaction score
A temporary workaround is to download Swiftkey from the Market (free or pay should work)...then go into Menu>Language & Keyboard and check the checkbox for Swiftkey AND make sure you also go to "Input Method" and select Swiftkey...

This allows your physical keyboard to actually use the properties of Swiftkey and eliminates the issue of quotation marks, parenthesis, dollar signs, etc. being attached to the previous word rather than the upcoming word....

Swiftkey also has some good predictive text so I'm actually liking switching over...only bug I've seen with this is that if you now try to go to Landscape on your Pro screen you cannot get an on-screen keyboard to come up...

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Stingray, awesome suggestion. I had already purchased swiftkey for my previous device, so downloaded and loving it. Looks like after entering punctuation, it auto spaces too. This is rocking.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

StingRay

Reaction score
Glad to help...this suggestion actually came from Matt (Forums Manager) over at the Motorola Forums....he's taking so much heat from everybody on the other Droid Pro issues I figure he needs an "atta boy" for this...

Swiftkey works well, except for if you try to use an on-screen in landscape, which I never do....hopefully Moto will fix the stock keyboard in a future update, but for now this works...

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Never use landscape for typing, so not an issue for me either. Thanks again.

SingingAlcazar

Reaction score
I installed swiftype and it slowed my phone to a CRAWL!

The phone got warm and every time I clicked in a text box to type the phone sat there and burned CPU for 30 seconds.

Wow.

google123

Reaction score
I also liked this suggestion for Swiftkey. There is one glitch for ME though. I use the keyboard's microphone key to open my ChompSMS quick entry box and when I activate Swiftkey as my keyboard, it doesn't work. I checked the settings and disabled the voice activation key option but it didn't work. I hope that I can find a workaround for this. Swiftkey's text prediction is just awesome btw.

DroidToro

Reaction score
Swiftkey seems to affect searches for me. When using search, it locks the phone for about 30 seconds before allowing me to proceed.

Sent from my DROID PRO

kjjb0204

Reaction score
The loss of voice button use is a trade off, but getting used to having my side key open vlingo instead.