Adding custom notification sounds

Mookie

Reaction score
I have tried everything available on google and it will not allow me to add a non factory notification sound. I even tried changing the settings in the message app. Tried MP3, M4A, AAC and a few other formats.

Is it the newest OS or am I missing something?

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
what notification are you trying to change? if just getting notification sounds i use the app zedge its great pics, ringtones, notification sounds, games, and live wallpapers. then when you got to chose the notification you want you will get to choices system (might be something different) and zedge.

OP
Mookie

Mookie

Reaction score
Just text right now. It seems that it should be a simple process.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
so you have downloaded notification sound but can't seem to use it?

OP
Mookie

Mookie

Reaction score
Totally forgot about Zedge. I got it to work with ringo. Now to fix my email alert.

Edit. Ringo acts like a messenger app. Don't need another.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
should be able to put the files you want for notifications in /media/audio/notifications and ringtones in /media/audio/ringtones using a file explorer. Reboot after moving the files and they should show up in the list with the stock sounds when you are picking.

OP
Mookie

Mookie

Reaction score
I did it through zedge.

I tried adding the folders and restarting. Got nothing. Added the files in both the phone and sd card. They are basic MP3 files under 30 seconds. Could it be that I converted them from itunes type?

djetch

Reaction score
I have tried everything available on google and it will not allow me to add a non factory notification sound. I even tried changing the settings in the message app. Tried MP3, M4A, AAC and a few other formats.

Is it the newest OS or am I missing something?

<a bunch of typing was deleted>

Never mind. I was able to record, save as mp3, move to notifications fold on SD Card and select sound in the menu on my Droid 4. :biggrin:

OP
Mookie

Mookie

Reaction score
Have you ever taken your car to the mechanic only to be told there is no noise and if comes back the minute you leave the shop?
Restarted my phone again and now everything shows. Guess the 4th time was the charm.

Toxie

Reaction score
Text tones are now giving me double sounds....AAAAAAAAAH

I had Ringo Lite then upgraded. Followed the instructions (under messaging turn it to silent etc) Set my NOTIFICATION (text tone) to my 1 contact...It was fine for a bit but NOW its giving me the default AND the special ringtone. Before I would uninstall reinstall and it would be ok then go back to the double again. Only way I can make sure the 1 contact has the special tone is if i put everything on silent (under messaging and default settings) .... This can't be right/ok. Any ideas how to make it so i have the normal text tone for everyone else (lets say Pixie Dust) then JUST the Ringo for my 1 contact?

RazrZen

Reaction score
ok so I was able to do this - get some sounds downloaded. But oddly, it only works for my gmail, not for yahoo mail using the yahoo app.
How can I change notifications for my yahoo mail to match my gmail?