Adding Contact - Don't Want Phone Link

OP
amojeba

amojeba

Reaction score
Well you have definitely cleared up the confusion:)

Unfortunately the Original D doesn't have all of these options, so I can't help you along, hopefully an X owner will stick there head in here and can give some X-pertise ;)

Ahh okay, well there you go. Moto keeps changing things on us lol.
I appreciate your effort Tparker :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problem, I am satisfied in having a clear understanding of what you are talking about and what I might have to deal with come upgrade time :)

OP
amojeba

amojeba

Reaction score
Haha thanks. You can learn through my browing pains LOL.

Does anyone else have any insight into this? Any known fixes?

EDIT - LEARNING pains. Lol what I was doing

inthefad3

Reaction score
I think I understand your issue. The recommendation I have read in other places and have used myself is to never add a contact through your phone but only through Gmail (or add it on the phone but when you get home add it to Gmail and delete the Phone contact)

It is a hassle to have in effect three different lists (counting sim card contact or onces from a previous Phone, Gmail and VZ's contact back up) so keeping only one list is a little cumbersome at first.

OP
amojeba

amojeba

Reaction score
I think I understand your issue. The recommendation I have read in other places and have used myself is to never add a contact through your phone but only through Gmail (or add it on the phone but when you get home add it to Gmail and delete the Phone contact)

It is a hassle to have in effect three different lists (counting sim card contact or onces from a previous Phone, Gmail and VZ's contact back up) so keeping only one list is a little cumbersome at first.

Yah, that seems to be the work-around. Although somewhat of a hassle.
If someone sends me a text message, and I wanna add them, it's easier just to click their phone # and hit "add contact" on my phone. Rather than logging in to google.

Is anyone aware of an app that brings this functionality to the contact edit, maybe adding the fields / checkboxes before you "save" a new contact?
I searched the market but couldn't find it.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
If you go under settings then account on the contact list you can turn off the google sync and facebook sync (if you have it), but not the phone sync. Looking at the setting this appears to go back to Verizons's site. I'd guess it is part of their proprietary phone backup and can not be disabled. You might get some more info on it from Verizon support, but I bet you'll have to go deeper than the local rep.

Strangely enough, even though I have the Google sync on there are no contacts on my Google Contact list. The Facebook sync works and offers some interesting, but mostly useless, features. I'm am not going to dig through my contact list just to see what each individual recently posted.

OP
amojeba

amojeba

Reaction score
If you go under settings then account on the contact list you can turn off the google sync and facebook sync (if you have it), but not the phone sync. Looking at the setting this appears to go back to Verizons's site. I'd guess it is part of their proprietary phone backup and can not be disabled. You might get some more info on it from Verizon support, but I bet you'll have to go deeper than the local rep.

Yah, I did notice that after I started messing around with it further. The phone sync is grayed out. I wonder if root and a custom rom could take care of this problem? Or at least some kind of modification.

ccartertn

Reaction score
Any solution on this?

Basically, when I add a contact, I only want to add it to Google. Currently, it adds it as a phone contact AND a Google contact with them linked. The problem with this is that when you click a contact from handcent or dialer, it asks you which number - and they are both the same. It is showing the same number from the 2 linked accounts - I only want 1.

So, is there an easy way to add a contact and only add it to Google?

CC

zonaRSX

Reaction score
Any solution on this?

Basically, when I add a contact, I only want to add it to Google. Currently, it adds it as a phone contact AND a Google contact with them linked. The problem with this is that when you click a contact from handcent or dialer, it asks you which number - and they are both the same. It is showing the same number from the 2 linked accounts - I only want 1.

So, is there an easy way to add a contact and only add it to Google?

CC

I'm having the same issue, unfortunately for me I have 2 google accounts on my Droid X, so it shows 3 linked numbers LOL. Such a pain in the arse. And also handcent is showing 2 of the same phone numbers. If there was only a way to choose were you want the contact saved... That's all we need!!! MOTOROLA WTF!!

remmurdgnis

Reaction score
I had a problem getting contacts added from my phone into Google. Could not find a solution anywhere but this thread helped sort out the issue for me.

IF this helps anyone... I think I found a work around to get a phone contact into Google via the phone only:

Dial the phone number first, hang up quickly (unless you want to talk) then go back and add contact from the call history (Go to recent calls and hold number, popup will ask to add contact). For me, the contact now has two links (one for Phone contacts and one for Google contacts). From there, you can separate the link as described earlier in this thread.

It's my first post here so I hope this is helpful and if this is a repost, please forgive me.
Nice forum, BTW-Very Helpful... You guys rock!!!