adding apps to apps tab 2.2

lnxtinman

Reaction score
Has any1 figured out how to add apps to the apps tab? When installing I have to create a shortcut which places it on the desktop of my Droid.

dcook12

Reaction score
Has any1 figured out how to add apps to the apps tab? When installing I have to create a shortcut which places it on the desktop of my Droid.
Hate to answer a question with a question..but I just got the 2.2 update this morning and there is a new toolbar at the bottom. No tab for apps, but a square dotted box. When you click it, only one page of apps is showing. I can't find the icons for the other ones. I looked in setting >apps and they are all there, but can't launch from there. I went to the market and it showed them all installed...Where did all of the icons for my apps go???????????? Hope this is close to the same question you had or I would have started a new thread....

OP
L

lnxtinman

Reaction score
That is prob I'm talking about....you can longtouch desktop and create a shortcut to the missing apps but I can't figure out how to get them back where they belong.

dcook12

Reaction score
That is prob I'm talking about....you can longtouch desktop and create a shortcut to the missing apps but I can't figure out how to get them back where they belong.
good...didn't want to step on yoiur question. Hopefully someone will know and we'll hear soon!!!!

OP
L

lnxtinman

Reaction score
good...didn't want to step on yoiur question. Hopefully someone will know and we'll hear soon!!!!

I had to create a folder then longtouch desktop/shortcut/applications and thendrag the shortcut to created folder to use my missing apps.......

OP
L

lnxtinman

Reaction score
I have no idea what happened but I can now scroll thru pages of my apps on the middle tab.....been trying since 2.2 and it just stated working...weird

dcook12

Reaction score
You are brilliant!!! I still can't get them to show up under the middle tab, but I created a folder and followed your directions and the ones that were not showing up were there. I just added them to that folder. So still not the same as before, but at least they are just in one folder on my desktop. Thanks for your help!!!!:icon_ banana:

OP
L

lnxtinman

Reaction score
i'm glad that is working for you as i had to do the same...but as i said above my apps just magically came back to the proper place an hour ago....i did the 2.2 update 2 days ago...keep checking your apps in the middle tab and see if they come back...if so just delete the folder you created.

dcook12

Reaction score
Hi. I also sent a note to Verizon before I went on this forum and this is the reply I received. It doesn't really explain why your apps appeared again unless it takes a while to verify if an app was installed and compatible....anyway here is the reply:

The reason you aren't able to view previously installed 3rd Party applications obtained through the Android Marketplace on your Motorola DROID A855 Smartphone, after the Froyo [OS version 2.2] update, is because said applications are not formatted for the current device OS.
To practically resolve this issue, you must uninstall the applications, and via the Android Marketplace, download them again. Keep in mind that in some instances, you'd not be able to even locate the applications any longer, simply because the 2.2 OS will display compatible applications, to successfully Download & Install.

Just thought I would share...

dcook12

Reaction score
OK..freeky....been two days..I just uninstalled and reinstalled an app...and everything I had showed up..sorry to keep dragging this post out...but everything is back and who knows why....take care and thanks for helping me!!

echeau

Reaction score
Now I did an update yesterday morning, and lost my apps tab.. and got the little phone/page/web tab at the bottom where my apps tab was before.. and now having five homescreens (two to either side and one in the middle) i uninstalled a program, and reinstalled it.

as per that email, if i try an app that i used before the update, should it not be working correctly because it's not compatible with this update?

I'm sincerely lost! Am I not going to ever get the apps tab back? Like is this just a new upgrade, and I have to accept it? Or should I wait and hope it changes back in a few days like a couple of you have said? HELP! :)

harrellj

Reaction score
The update you got was to Froyo, so the new bar at the bottom is the new stock appearance. If you don't like it, the only suggestion I've got is to try out a replacement launcher (launcherpro, adw, etc).

As for whether an app you used prior to the update is still usable, well... that depends on the app itself. If it isn't compatible with 2.2, you'll see issues (force closes tends to be the common problem).

The problems this thread was talking about is that after they got Froyo, the apps drawer listing all their apps didn't actually list them all. It sounds like your problem isn't that at all, just the different icons.

echeau

Reaction score
Okay so not having the app tab (the one you pull from the side/bottom) is just the new appearance as well? So I've got to make folders and shortcuts for everything?

I can't figure out how to just look at a list of my apps unless I am adding a shortcut to the desktop.

harrellj

Reaction score
That new bar at the bottom should have three buttons, a phone, a square and the browser. The square is a button you tap (no swiping required) and it'll bring up the list of apps, just like before.

echeau

Reaction score
That new bar at the bottom should have three buttons, a phone, a square and the browser. The square is a button you tap (no swiping required) and it'll bring up the list of apps, just like before.
Thanks a ton ! I was doing the long hold, and for some reason never tried tapping it. Or maybe I did and they just showed up when I uninstalled/reinstalled the app that I did.

thanks again! I'm actually quite liking the new setup now! :)