Adding a new line to my current family plan question

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I made a thread last night about losing my droid 2. I found it this mornng smashed and run over several times, so it's definitely a goner. I just got this phone a couple of months ago (end of august to be exact) and I'm still about 3 months away from a full year out of my 2 year contract, so I'd have to either:

A) Call verizon customer service and they'd send me a refurbished phone not nearly as good the droid and i'd still have to pay for it ($70 to $250 were the prices she mentioned briefly) or

B) Just buy a new phone at full price o_O

There's no way I want a refurbished phone and not only that but actually pay for it, and I cant afford a phone at full price. I had the idea that maybe I could add a new line to my family plan, and use the new line to purchase those phones you find on amazon for like 1 cent with a new 2 year contract. Then just switch over the Droid 2 to my account. I'd probably have to leave the account open for 2 years, but paying $10 a month beats the crap out of paying $599 for a phone now.

Is this possible? Thanks guys!

zero7404

Reaction score
I made a thread last night about losing my droid 2. I found it this mornng smashed and run over several times, so it's definitely a goner. I just got this phone a couple of months ago (end of august to be exact) and I'm still about 3 months away from a full year out of my 2 year contract, so I'd have to either:

A) Call verizon customer service and they'd send me a refurbished phone not nearly as good the droid and i'd still have to pay for it ($70 to $250 were the prices she mentioned briefly) or

B) Just buy a new phone at full price o_O

There's no way I want a refurbished phone and not only that but actually pay for it, and I cant afford a phone at full price. I had the idea that maybe I could add a new line to my family plan, and use the new line to purchase those phones you find on amazon for like 1 cent with a new 2 year contract. Then just switch over the Droid 2 to my account. I'd probably have to leave the account open for 2 years, but paying $10 a month beats the crap out of paying $599 for a phone now.

Is this possible? Thanks guys!

if you are at 3 months to within completing your contract you have an option:

check your vzw account and make sure you're eligible for an upgrade. if you are (you should be, for me i am eligible from 3 months before my contract is up), go to wirefly.com.

they have significantly reduced prices for new gear if you start a new contract or renew. if you select upgrade/renew your contract and complete an order, they check with verizon to make sure you are eligible, if so they charge you and send you the phone you ordered. if not they don't charge you anything and cancel it.

but you need to know that if you do it thru wirefly and cancel your new contract within 18 months, they may charge you a fee, in addition to verizon charging you a fee. so make sure you are going to be with vzw for the next commitment period.

you can get a droid 2 for 40 bucks, or droid x for 150 if you upgrade from wirefly. these are new devices, not refurbs or used. even verizon can't offer these prices.

but if you want to switch carriers, best bet is to get the cheapest cdma fone u can find on ebay, then when you're contract is up, you can go anywhere you want freely.

personally i found phone insurance to be a waste of money. i don't care for refurbs either, so i won't pay insurance for a phone. instead i keep aware of where my phone is at all times, protect with a case, and backup data to my pc frequently just in case i lose it (the only way that would happen is if it gets stolen). you are lucky you are up for upgrade. if you lost it and you weren't eligible, you'd have to pony up for verizon's best, which is a renewal at their current discount or full price.

brianes99

Reaction score
lessons learned

whatever you do to get another phone...pay for the replacement/service plan :)

You certainly could go and add a line to your family plan. If you do this MAKE SURE you go back to the plan details of your slightly flattened droid 2 and get the data service removed from it.

You will still have to pay the 9.99 for the additional line on the droid 2 line, but its better than paying 40.

you can also, if you want, pay the %15 per line and swap phone numbers. I am not sure if you can set up call forwarding from the myverizon web page, if so just do that (note: text messages won't forward).

AND you can use your already existing gmail account on the new phone (contacts will sync from the gmail service)

z96Cobra

Reaction score
If you have an old Verizon phone (a Razr or something) just add a new line and get the phone you want. After you activate the new phone, switch the phones to the opposite line. You can do it yourself or call Verizon and they will do it.

Also, figure up the total cost of a 1 year vs 2 year contract. I did this a couple years ago and the 1 year contract cost was a little cheaper.