Adding a New Line and Stealing that Phone

Bishang

Reaction score
So I've been thinking of adding a new line with a new phone (not sure which yet) and taking that phone and putting it on my line. Replacing said phone with a dummy phone I can give to my mom for emergencies.

Am I allowed to do that? I've seen that with Amazon, if I do anything to that line they'll charge me some type of fee. Can I buy a phone from the Verizon Corp store and do that?

Only reason I want to do that is because I have another year until my upgrade and I'm getting tired of my phone.

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I did that exact thing to get my bolt ;)

Just tell them what you're doing to avoid the first months data charge

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Through Verizon, you can add a line and get a smartphone that you want. You can then drop the data package and everything on that not necessary (replacing with a dumb phone) and put the new phone on your line. Verizon doesn't care what you do with it.

It's an issue with Amazon because they get special deals from Verizon to offer the phones cheaper to you.

OP
Bishang

Bishang

Reaction score
Are there other websites that I can go to and not occur a fee for disconnecting the new phone from the line (like Amazon). Just wondering because Verizon sells phones way more expensive tha other places do.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazon has their own early termination fee if you cancel before 180 days, or something like that.

Caesars

Reaction score
You probably won't find any other place but Verizon to do that for you. Generally speaking all non Verizon stores will get a charge back from Verizon and in turn charge your credit card lol, at least within six months.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Costco works just like Verizon...you can buy a phone on an upgrade eligible line and then activate it on any line you want. They don't care what you do with the phone but you have to keep the line active for two years. They also have good prices. Bought my Samsung charge through Costco, asked them b4 buying to make sure I could switch it to another line. I bought that phone on an eligible line and never even put it on that line. Since then, that charge has been on my line, then son #3's line, now son # 2's line but never on the line I originally purchased it for and no problems. Also very interesting, when I was going through this process, I asked Verizon if I would have a problem and Verizon said that they don't care which line you keep your phones on and didn't care where the phone was bought, Amazon, Wirefly or Costco...said it was not their policy.But Amazon and Wirefly sure care and will charge a hefty fee. Not entirely certain but I believe best buy works the same as Verizon and Costco.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Best Buy does work like Verizon and Costco. That's where I bought my Nexus. They let me take it home and activate it on whatever line I wanted, as it was not my line that had the upgrade.