Added MailDroid to Maxx, What to do with stock program

bocabean

Reaction score
I just added MailDroid Pro onto my newly purchased Maxx. After weighing the choices between K9 and MP, it seemed the better choice for my imap needs. My question now is what should I do to shut down the built in email app so that I am not receiving email in both places.

Thanks

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Remove email accounts used in maildroid under settings-accounts. If you phone's Gmail account is a account used in maildroid simply turn off all notifications on Gmail app since you can't remove this account & it's ties to Gmail app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Plus you need the account there for the Play Store, in case you didn't know.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Sydman said:
Plus you need the account there for the Play Store, in case you didn't know.

You can actually use a different account, when i got my first Razr I made a typo when entering it during setup at the store, so i just added the correct account later that I used to for email & play store as you can't change the phone's account that I know of without doing a FDR.

OP
bocabean

bocabean

Reaction score
Dear lovemyram4x4 and Sydman,

Thank you both for your assistance. '4x4, I followed the advice that you provided. Unfortunately, I believe that it turned out to be incorrect. At the settings-account page, I actually had to leave the account in place. That is the location where the incoming and outgoing settings are installed on the device. Then, at the stock email client, all that I needed to do was to turn off notifications. When I removed it as you suggested, and then attempted to send an email to the account from a different email account on the PC, nothing came through. Further, I did not recall ever having set up the incoming and outgoing servers with Maildroid, which I thought was odd. So the downside, if I am correct, is that the mail is going to build up in both places, however I will only receive the notifications for the new app.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thank you both once again.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
It's possible you don't have the outgoing servers setup properly in Maildroid, I actually just used auto setup for mine but have only use 2 of them to send mail from my phone and they worked.

I've also not even bothered adding any email accounts to the phones accounts page besides the reguired Gmail during initial setup since I started using maildroid a couple of phone swaps ago(I did as I said earlier for the first phone) & just used maildroid's build in backup/restore to get things back on the new phones(notification sounds & colors required re-sellecting for each account). My app data backup may have worked as well.

I'd look into fixing your out going mail in maildroid so you don't waste space & resources have to apps doing the same thing that 1 could be doing.

OP
bocabean

bocabean

Reaction score
As I am using an imap account, I did not want to use any type of auto feature to setup the email account. I just went back in to mail droid. From there I pressed the three bar menu which popped up with three choices: Refresh mail, select all checkboxes, and Account Preferences. I have gone through all of the choices in the Account Preferences list and no where do I see any settings for incoming and outoing servers.

From the main window of the phone, when I select the three bar menu (I am not sure what you call that but it is the button on the bottom left of the phone), then settings, and from there I went to Accounts. Under My Accounts, the imap based account is only listed once, with the default email program icon to the left of it. All that it contains is the general settings, incoming server and outgoing server. This is where I had initally removed the account. When I later tried to send myself an email to be received in Maildroid, it never came through until I recreated the account again, followed by a resync in Maildroid.

What step am I missing?

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I have 3 IMAP accounts in maildroid, auto worked fine & push even works for the yahoo account(unlike all the k-9 based apps). The changed server settings on your existing accounts long press on the account in the maildroid home screen.

Yeah, those are the accounts you should remove once you get your Maildroid app sorted.

OP
bocabean

bocabean

Reaction score
Lovemyram4x4,

I must apologize. You were right! I would have never known about the long press until you mentioned it. I went back to settings-account again and deleted the imap account from that listing. Now all is perfect, at least as far as my emails are concerned :)